Tang sight for model 94 Trail's End?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dogwood2
Levergunner

Tang sight for model 94 Trail's End?

Post by dogwood2 »

I bought a couple Win. 94 Trail's End Hunter models in .38-55 and .25-35 just before production ended. The .25 has a Williams receiver sight that works just fine, but I would like to try a tang sight on the .38. I know Marbles makes a sight for the pistol gripped models of the rifle. Will the same sight work on my rifles, and if not, do they make one that will work?

John M. (Dogwood2)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Tang sight for model 94 Trail's End?

Post by J Miller »

John,

The upper tang is the same on straight and pistol gripped stocks.
The only difference is whether or not your 94 has the tang safety or not.
A phone call to Marbles will verify this or make me into a doofas.
Marble Arms
420 Industrial Park
Gladstone MI 49837
Phone: 906-428-3710
Fax: 906-428-3711
info@marblearms.com

http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang_info.html
Marble's® Standard Peep Tang Sight

http://www.marblearms.com/improvedPeepTang.html
Marble Arms® Improved Peep Tang Sight

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As an addendum to Joe's answer, all the pistol gripped mdl 94s use the same length tang screw as the regular straight tang.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
dogwood2
Levergunner

Post by dogwood2 »

Thanks Griff and J.Miller. My rifle does have the much cursed tang safety, but despite that, it is very accurate lever gun and with handloads packs a considerable wallop.
I will contact Midway about getting a a new Marbles tang sight. I know some of the tang sights require a gunsmith to drill and tap a new hole. I don't know whether this will require one or not. In any case, I thought I would take this gun to Wyoming this fall on a deer hunt. I've never used a tang sight but it should be appropriate on this rifle. Thanks again.

John (Dogwood2)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I used a tang sight for hunting for two years on a .45-70 Model 86EL High Grade that I didn't want to D/T (to preserve originality), without issue - the rifle stayed zeroed from when I sighted it in until I removed the tanger, held only by the issue tang screw.
(the base's slight concavity matched the tang's slight convexity enough that it didn't swing sideways)

So

You might want to mount the tang sight on your M94 with just the tang screw also - then use it a bit at the range, to find out if the sight itself, and the way it's base lies where most shooter's thumb's lie, agrees with you before you have a front base hole D/T'd in the tang.

Jes' sayin'..............................................

dogwood2
Levergunner

Post by dogwood2 »

Thanks for the info on your experience. I will try the sight with the one screw. I have never used a tang sight before. I thought that it would be useful for hunting with a cartridge such as the .38-55. Open sights for close range and the tang sight for longer shots. Would recommend it?

John (dogwood2)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Dual zeroes can work really well, with a folding rear barrel sight (for a clear tanger sight picture), and an issue-height front sight.

After zeroing the barrel sights for a relatively short range, and the tanger for a much longer range, when hunting off the barrel sights, incase of close/fast shots on game, I've always fould that there was ample time to fold the barrel sight and raise the tang sight in time for a more deliberate/longer shot - Here's how my .375 BB94 looked setup like that:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

From Marble's website:
Winchester 94 Legacy (Tang Safety) p/n: 009849 screw #: 995009. At Marble's Tang Sight Info site they have an excellent video with instructions on installing a standard tang sight.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
dogwood2
Levergunner

Post by dogwood2 »

Pete44,

Would recommend going to a folding rear sight while I'm at it? It looks as if your 94 has the original rear sight on it?

John
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

dogwood2 wrote:Pete44,

Would recommend going to a folding rear sight while I'm at it? It looks as if your 94 has the original rear sight on it?

John
Nope - That's a Marble's folder.

I highly recommend some sort of folding rear barrel sight when mounting both barrel and tang sights for dual zeroes, as the folded sight gives a much more unobstructed sight picture when using the tang sight.

A missed animal, due to fouled sights, is what it takes to convince some folks, though. (BT/DT/NTS)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:As an addendum to Joe's answer, all the pistol gripped mdl 94s use the same length tang screw as the regular straight tang.
Griff, ole buddy & pal---don't mean to correct you (maybe the new versions are different) but my pre-war 64, along with a Model 65 (pistol grip) use a much longer screw--I had to special order them.----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..