OT: sick dogs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

OT: sick dogs

Post by firefuzz »

About the first of the month my daughter and her roomy had to part ways, roomy getting married. She couldn't take her dogs, two, with her so my seperated wife wanted them both. About three days after I took them to her I noticed that Roxy, a pit-something mix that's a real lover, had a cough so to the vet we go. Turns out she has heart worms, the cough was un-related.

Now, Amy got Roxy at the same time my daughter got Sam and both dogs wound up having to live with me for about 4 months as pups due to the extreme cold so I basically raised them. Bella, the third of the trio, a pit-lab mix came along about 6 months later. All of these dogs are lovers, but extremely protective of their humans. Fortunately both the other tested negative. The girls didn't know about heartworm prevention and I just assumed they did.

Roxy is like a 50lb, hyper-active teenager, she never walks anywhere and during her streaking around the house or yard she will occassionally just jump into your lap and stare into you eyes saying "You do know I love you, don't you?", rub noses with you and off she goes again. So you can see that paying the $500 plus vet bill for treatment is going to happen. She's just completing the first stage of the treatment, goes back to the vet tomorrow for blood work.

About 10 days ago my oldest son rescued about a 3 month old male pup during one of our storms that looks just like Sam. No one claimed the pup and Jake, already having two dogs, didn't have room for him, so Terri (wife) took him for my step-son as the other two have already attached to her so he would have a dog to name and raise. Tyler is away staffing for the summer at one of the BSA camps and just got to meet and play with "Duke" last Saturday...love at first sight. I was going to take him to the vet with Roxy tomorrow for his shots and to start him on heartwork meds.

Yesterday evening, between floods, I went over to the wife's house to medicate Roxy and just basically check up on the dogs. I immediately noticed that Duke was not acting himself, not playing and refusing to eat a piece of hotdog offered to him, so I took him home with me. This is a very active pup and he was just lying around, wouldn't eat or even drink milk which he loves. So to the vet we go at about 9:00pm.

Parvo. I've got a very sick puppy on my hands. And again, not paying the vet bill is NOT an option. He seems to be feeling better this morning after a rough night for both of us, drinking a little and he did eat a little piece of bread. Hopefully both are going to be alright.

Guys, during my life I've had to put down or simply destroy dozens of dogs ranging from my own when they got older or hit my a car to strays chasing livestock. And 30 years ago if you'd have told me I would spend $$$$$$ on vet bills I'd have told you you'd lost you mind. But as I've gotten older, and once they lay in you lap asleep as puppys.....well, things take on a different view.

Rob
Last edited by firefuzz on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: sick dogs

Post by Lobo »

Rob,

My wife and I went out and deliberately spent good money on a pup a couple of years ago. Got her home and everything seemed okay, but as we took her to the vet for some regular puppy checkups, our new little girl showed some immune system problems. From four months until thirteen months she was with the vet every other week on an average. I was kidding with the vet one day and told him when he built the new wing on his clinic with all the money I was spending, it would be nice if he'd name the wing after my dog. Twice we came within a day or two of putting her down because of all the secondary problems the kept popping up, but at thirteen months, it was like throwing a switch, she over came the problems, we discontinued the meds, and other treatments. She was two this last Christmas day, and has become a "normal dog".

Ain't life grand ?? :mrgreen:

This is her (Mercy) a couple of weeks ago laying on the bed with our Golden Retriever (Grace).

Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I know this sounds pretty cynical, but the percentage of dogs who know how to live and love is ten times the percentage of human beings. Although the traditional handshake might be replaced by something that seems a lot less enjoyable as a greeting, I think the world would be a far better place if dogs where in charge or if people actually learned how to live from their dogs who live life unconditionally.

I don't blame you guys at all for spending the money on the vet bills, I would gladly do it (and have) for any of my four legged friends.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Dog is God spelled backwards...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Rob,

You and your family are as bad as I am! Y'all are suckers for lost puppies too!

I know what you mean about spending a fortune on vets. There have been time when I spent money on vets that i needed for other budgetary items. I've spent money for vets and pet meds when I couldn't afford medicine for myself. But I never begrudged the expense. The love and affection given in return was more than worth it.

You are a good man Rob, and sounds like you've raised some fine kids. God bless you all.

Doc
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Lobo wrote:
This is her (Mercy) a couple of weeks ago laying on the bed with our Golden Retriever (Grace).

Congratulations on Mercy's recovery. She looks mighty impressive.

But to me Gracie looks even better.
She looks so much like my good old Golds, same red-gold coloring and same greying face and sweet expression. that it brought a tear to my eyes.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Rob: Upon reading your post I immediately thought like Doc--"you're a good man" !!
We've had to spend a bunch on a great bird dog in the past year; she ran over a cliff down in Cody, WY and paralyzed one front leg and seriously broke the other. After two very involved surgeries, she is now tripod-ing around on two good back legs and one reconstructed front leg while the other "flaps" uselessly. Through all of this she never complained once, though she did have pain meds following the surgeries. She still tries to keep up with the younger dog and is successful at catching voles and deer mice. I know she would point/retrieve birds if I took her hunting, but I don't want to get her so hyped up that she forgets about her bum leg. If it goes, so must she.

I, too, have had to put down too many dogs in the past. Seems like these dogs are too much like family to let go by the wayside. Guess it has to do with growing old.

I can't quote exactly, but someone wrote something like: Man is in some ways unfortunate that he has such a long life-long enough to outlive 3-4 horses and perhaps 6-7 dogs.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I never thought I'd say this, but I would consider spending Vet $$$ on Thor. There would need to be a light at the end of the tunnel, though. I would not extend his life for a year or six months only to arrive at the end way before his time. Any cancers would be a Good Bye, Old Buddy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

as much as you want that new rifle, you can't deny medical treatment to a member of the family whatever the cost. I had to do it with my cat (she got beat up, dozens of bones broken, crushed pelvis, etc.), that's what credit cards are for.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I always remember hearing "a dog's gotta earn it's keep" from my Dad (he had a salvage yard and two or three "junk yard dogs" around) and I kinda grew up feeling the same. That is until I bought my then girlfriend a miniature wienie dog, (can't spell daughound, dougshound, oh hek, wenie dog). About $175.00 per pound; she came in a two pounds. After we got married I became the "Alpha Dog" of the family and that little thing followed me around everywhere I went around the house and yard. She even went sailing with me. She and my wife would sit on the back pourch waiting for me to drive in from work; every day, same time. As soon as she saw my truck (the dog not my wife) she would start barking/howling. When she got older, about 13 or 14 years, I had to start carrying her around, 'cause her back started giving her trouble. And the visits to the vet got closer and closer together, until at the age of 15, her organs "started to shut down" and she was in a lot of pain, the vet put her to sleep. Now as far as earning her keep; she didn't dig up any badgers, nor did she chase any rabbits down their holes, but I learned from her something special - unconditional love. I could of bought a new truck with what we spent on vet bills, but I think Annie was worth every cent I spent on her, and if I thought spending more would have helped/saved her I'd gladly spend it all...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

My Daughter came by the house today on her lunch hour and sneeked up on me and the pup napping in my recliner, we had kinda of a rough night. She woke me up by touching my face, sometimes not a smart thing when I'm sleeping, and just smiled at me and said, "Another friend for life, huh Dad?"

I told her I hadn't meet anyone lately I'd rather have in that capacity.

He's having his ups and downs today. Terrible diarrea. I'm just trying to keep him hydrated today and hoping the meds will take care of the other. He's a good pup.

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Good luck, that Parvo can be a tough one to beat.

Dad had to put his dog down last summer. Around last fall this scrawny half grown kitten started hanging around his shed so dad started feeding it. Turned out to be a good cat. He doesn't have a name, just KATT. A few weeks ago he got sick and needed to go to the vet. Vet ended up keeping him for a few days and giving him a bunch of meds. Bill turned out to be almost $300..! Dad went and payed it and didn't say a word. I was floored, I never thought dad would spend that kind of money on an animal, especially a stray cat. He won't say it, but I think he really likes that cat.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Funny you should post this.

Monday our Miniature Schnauzer Bailey started to go a bit slow and act unusually. Yesterday she was VERY lethargic getting up only to drink and take a whiz. This morning she almost didn't make it out the door and then had a case of the runs (likely because she didn't eat yesterday). I didn't do anything but dress and brush my teeth before taking her to the vet. (I have NEVER seen the vet so busy. People were parked on the grass and the lot was as full as it could be without having collisions. I was told that most of the dogs were sick.) Now Bailey has an IV to rehydrate her and I'm at home sitting on pins and needles. Blood test showed nothing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would not trade Thor for gold, but no more pure breds for me.....Thor has had more problems than all the mutts in my life put together.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

My little Cupcake gave me a scare about 6 months ago -- she had a tumor the size of a golfball in a bad spot -- (and she's only 9 pounds) We took care of it and tissue was thankfully benign. Little dogs can sure get under a big man's skin.

I have been stationed on the East coast with my job for a few months --- when i call home, generally my first words are "How's Cuppcake?" --- she's still doing fine and is very happy--- the right mix of Mighty Dog and water, and she still musters up the energy to chase a cat or two :lol: :D

I love the little dog for sure
----- Doug
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Well, bad news. My little buddy Duke died about 6:30 this morning with me holding and rubbing him. Hopefully he's in a place with lots of kids and other dogs to play with. I can only hope he knew he was loved while he was here. Not going to be a good day.

Rob

Because I can!

Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Firefuzz,
Sorry Duke didn't make it. I know how tough that can be. Try to remember the good times you had with your pup.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

firefuzz wrote:Well, bad news. My little buddy Duke died about 6:30 this morning with me holding and rubbing him. Hopefully he's in a place with lots of kids and other dogs to play with. I can only hope he knew he was loved while he was here. Not going to be a good day.

Rob
Welll....Chit....I'm so sorry...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

firefuzz wrote:Well, bad news. My little buddy Duke died about 6:30 this morning with me holding and rubbing him. Hopefully he's in a place with lots of kids and other dogs to play with. I can only hope he knew he was loved while he was here. Not going to be a good day.

Rob
I am so very sorry to hear this. I'm sure he'll be waiting for you when it is your turn...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Hobie wrote:

Rob
I am so very sorry to hear this. I'm sure he'll be waiting for you when it is your turn...
I can only hope.

Rob

Because I can!

deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Sorry for your loss FireFuzz,..I was hoping he'd make it.

Don't know if you've read it before, but I always like the Rainbow Bridge.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE POEM

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

You know, the last time the "Rainbow Bridge" was printed here I saved it for my Daughter for when her Sam passes, hopefully a long time from now. Funny how this one's hard to read thru the rain.

Rob

Because I can!