Here's A Great Read For All You Armchair Tiger Hunters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Here's A Great Read For All You Armchair Tiger Hunters

Post by Fiddler »

I first read this book when I was a teenager, many moons ago. It's a real thriller!
Here it is, online and available for everyone: http://www.archive.org/details/maneater ... o029903mbp
How Jim Corbett survived to old age is simply a miracle! :o
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: Here's A Great Read For All You Armchair Tiger Hunters

Post by Doc Hudson »

The only hunter luckier than james Corbett was Colonel Paterson, of the Maneaters of Tsavo fame.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have that book (Maneaters of Kumaon) my shelf but I don't remember reading it. If I did, it was while I was in grade school.

The movie tagline for "Ghosts in the Darkness" was right, only the strangest parts were true. The Lions of Tsavo is an interesting read, too.

I may have to dust off all my old "maneaters" books. They're boxed up right now, but I think I have 3 or 4 of that genre.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Fiddler.
Many thanks for the link. Fortunately, I do have the book......must have read it at least a dozen times over the past 30 years. Invigorating! I also have the Temple Tiger and more Maneaters of Kumon as well as the Man Eating Leopard of Rudraprag by Jim. He devoted a whole book to that cunning leopard. Took him several years of hunting off and on to finally bag him.

Thanks again,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

w30wcf wrote:Fiddler.
Many thanks for the link. Fortunately, I do have the book......must have read it at least a dozen times over the past 30 years. Invigorating! I also have the Temple Tiger and more Maneaters of Kumon as well as the Man Eating Leopard of Rudraprag by Jim. He devoted a whole book to that cunning leopard. Took him several years of hunting off and on to finally bag him.

Thanks again,
w30wcf
You're welcome!
I've also read Corbett's stuff several time and never get tired of it.
That incident where he was carrying the bird's eggs was one of the most frightening things I've ever read. That tigress had him dead to rights. That things worked out in the end was nothing short of a miracle.
JUNGLE LORE was another good Corbett book. The only two I haven't found yet is MY INDIA and TREETOPS.
Oh well, maybe someday!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

the Man Eating Leopard of Rudraprag was one of my favorites but .......scariest of all was the Putmorketchupon Tiger !

[ sorry just had to use that line ; ) ]
cable
oldbrownhat
Levergunner

Post by oldbrownhat »

Fiddler wrote:I first read this book when I was a teenager, many moons ago. It's a real thriller!
Here it is, online and available for everyone: http://www.archive.org/details/maneater ... o029903mbp
How Jim Corbett survived to old age is simply a miracle! :o
I just rediscovered my copy of this and re-read it voraciously. Writing from an earlier era for sure. His stalking skills and intimate knowledge of the forest were amazing. And no whizz-bang modern magnums and fancy bullets, either, just a .275 (7x57) and a black-powder .450 Martini- and a very cool head. I wonder whatever happened to those rifles?

:) Stuart
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
(Benjamin Franklin)
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Great question. I don't know abiut those two but I do know where Jim Corbett's .450/400 double rifle is.
Elmer Keith had procured that rifle and it is in his museum.

Here's an interesting link.
http://www.rugerforum.org/phpBB/viewtop ... 565c37dc72

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
oldbrownhat
Levergunner

Post by oldbrownhat »

w30wcf wrote:Great question. I don't know abiut those two but I do know where Jim Corbett's .450/400 double rifle is.
Elmer Keith had procured that rifle and it is in his museum.

Here's an interesting link.
http://www.rugerforum.org/phpBB/viewtop ... 565c37dc72

w30wcf
Wonderful! The book in the gun case is exactly the same edition as I have.
(After I posted the previous comment I realized it was a) a .450/400 and b) a double rifle, not the Martini he'd been given as a young man. "My bad", as they say.)

:) Stuart
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
(Benjamin Franklin)