Winchester 1876 Range Report (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Winchester 1876 Range Report (photos)

Post by KirkD »

I've been working on a new pet load for my original Winchester Model 1876. I figured 25 grains of 5744 under the 322 grain cast GC bullet I've been using should give me somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1,325 fps. I loaded up seven rounds, five to see how they shoot over the chronograph and two to shoot offhand at 100 yards. Here's a photo of the five for the chronograph ....

I got the brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge in Cody, WY. Folks can also get nice 45-60 brass from http://www.marstar.ca/ammo-etc/new-brass.shtm

Here's a photo of my old '76 ....

The first thing I did at the range was to take my two offhand shots at 100 yards. I have the rest of the summer to practice for hunting season, but here's the target anyway ....

I then set up another target at 100 yards, aligned my chronograph, and took five shots. The 25 grains of 5744 gave an average velocity of 1,332 fps with an extreme spread of only 17 fps. That is nice burning consistency. I'm a little rusty, so the group was a bit looser than the gun is capable of, but here's the target anyway ....

This is going to be my pet load for my '76. The Rocky Mountain Cartridges have a little less case volume than Chaparrel brass, so the same load may give a lower velocity in the latter. I'm taking this deer hunting this fall. Now to practice all summer and early fall with this so I can get real good with it. I'll be practicing out to 200 yards.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1876 Range Report (photos)

Post by .45colt »

Well I think You got that one nailed down. :D .Very Nice.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Great stuff Kirk... How much air space is left in the cases?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Offhand at 100 yards, that some good shooting. If I could hold that steady I might have got you a coyote with the 32-20 53 in time. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

rangerider7 wrote:Offhand at 100 yards, that some good shooting. If I could hold that steady I might have got you a coyote with the 32-20 53 in time. :D
There's still time. I've postponed writing the article until next fall. I'll be pullin' for you.

Ben Rumson: I'd say, going from memory, that the case, after the bullet is seated, will be about 2/3rds full.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Just awesome Kirk! As steady as you are, you must not have a worry in the world.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I'll be taking the 53 again tomorrow then. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent, just excellent. You've found a great load for a great ole rifle. Make sure you tell us how you do with it hunting this fall.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That will work! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Kirk,

As usual, you've outdone yourself. Mighty fine rifle, and excellent shooting to go with it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I am envious! :mrgreen:

Very good shooting - especially the usuported shots. Well done!

I know that 5744 is considered a BP sub but what's the pressure running for those loads? I think I might be using only
BP if that were my baby...

Not questioning your decision - just curious.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Neat Kirk!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
I know that 5744 is considered a BP sub but what's the pressure running for those loads?
I don't have any reloading data for 5744 in the 45-60, but a fellow can extrapolate a bit. According to Accurate, 27 grains of 5744 under a 405 grain bullet gives 1,394 fps at a pressure of 16,100 psi. A bullet weight of 322 grains will produce approximately 12,700 psi in the 45-70. The 45-60 is shorter by about 1/4", but the 322 grain bullet does not stick as far into the case as the 405gr bullet to almost balance it off. Adjusting for my smaller powder charge I'd estimate the pressure of my load to be around 11,800 psi. 5744 has a milder pressure curve than BP. The BP peak pressure is at least 13,500 psi, extrapolating from 45-70 FFg data.
Last edited by KirkD on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

WOW. What a beautiful rifle and I can definately can almost taste its history, its that pallable. I personally would love to hear how you progress through the summer.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Love your 76....and thats some fine shootn' too!
and as always....great photos...

Have you whacked a deer with that 76?
Last edited by RIHMFIRE on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

As usual, you've outdone yourself. Mighty fine rifle, and excellent shooting to go with it.
I don't know if he outdid himself, but I'm pretty sure he outdid me! :mrgreen:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Man! That gun is dead on and shooting tight. I think load development is over :D
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Thanks Kirk.

Good shooting, a great post and a most excetional old rifle.

Pop.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent range report Kirk!!! :D :D :D
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Kirk,

Just FYI, the new Lyman 49 gives the loads of 23.0gr min, 27.0gr max of AA5744 with a 300gr bullet and 20.0gr min, 26.0 max for a 330gr bullet. Looks like to me your load is right in there. Could you please tell me what the OAL cartridge lenth is for your load? I'm fixing to start loading for my Cimarron '76 clone.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Rob, that published information is good to know. I developed the load myself by looking at burn rates, case volume, bullet weights, chrono results, etc. I'm glad to see my results fall nicely into that published information. The O.A.L. of my cartridges is 2.32". However, I have an original BP 45-60 cartridge and it measures 2.255" O.A.L. I was surprised that a 2.32" cartridge would feed through my '76 without any problems, but it does, although I am at the absolute upper limit. I did have one cartridge yesterday slightly stick as I lifted the elevator, so I'll seat the bullet in another .01".
Last edited by KirkD on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ah, good to know about those loads. I didn't realize that 5744 was that mild - I have used it in my milder 45-70 loads for a long time but I thought it was generating something closer to 28000 psi at the top end.

Thanks.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!