22 lever gun suggestions---

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
petie
Levergunner

22 lever gun suggestions---

Post by petie »

I would like to buy a quality 22lr lever. So, Browning, Marlin and Henry come to mind. The Marlin 39a now has a 24" barrel which seems just too long. Thought they used to make a 20" which I think would be perfect but don't know how long ago they dropped them. I like the Marlin's beefier size stock feel. Not at all familiar with Henry's - Golden Boy? So, what would you recommend - price not really a consideration, more interested in quality and feel. Thanks.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Find any 39a on the auction sites, new or used.

Then the 9422.

Then the Henry.

I've got all three so that's my order of preference.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

39a ! nice rifle!! :D
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Marlin 39 TDS is a great rifle.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Try for an older Marlin 39a without the safety and the rebounding hammer. You'll be very happy!! :D
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Hmmm.... I didn't know there were any other than the 9422. Any good one that is.... 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The Browning BL22 is one of my favorites. It has a very short lever throw that's just soooo nice.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Henry and Browning both have aluminium receivers, and Henry has some plastic bits too.
Winchester 9422 are a nice rifle, I had one 15 years ago and loved it, and poured tens of thousands of rounds thru it, but its getting hard to get parts for them now, at least in Oz, don't know about USA.
I currently own a new Marlin 39A with 24" barrel, its a hefty rifle for a .22 but it handles and balances well. Only problem I've found is that there seem to be a number of them coming out of the factory with dodgy extractors, I had to have the extractor replaced to fix the problem.
The shorter barrel Marlin you are refering to is the mountie, which also had a straight stock instead of a pistol grip. If theres too much steel sticking out the front for your liking you could always get a smith to lop off 4" and put a target crown on it at the same time, because from the factory the crown is a straight cut from a lop off saw.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

+1 on 39TDS. LOVE IT!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not a 'traditional' gun, but I like the little Ruger carbine ('96/22'?) that uses the 10-round rotary magazines. Short lever throw, compact, and never jams. Just good old fun to shoot. Looking to put peeps on it, but right now have a red-dot that is good for showing novices how to shoot.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hard to beat the Marlin, especially if you can find a Mountie.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I have the Marlin 39A with a 24" barrel and I like it. I sold my BL-22 Browning.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I have an Ithaca (early "Henry" style lever .22) and an early Marlin 39a.

The Ithaca (Henry) has a super-smooth action and is light-weight and quick handling. The Marlin is as heavy as a full-size center-fire levergun and can be taken down for storage or transport. Both rifles are very accurate, but the Marlin a bit more so.

While both are lever-action .22's - they are such completely different rifles that I would never sell either. I would say any collection is not complete without one of each - but you'll need to access your needs to decide on which one to get first.

Now I just need to find a Winny 9422 to complete my collection. :?
Last edited by Slick on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

petie,

You really gotta handle ALL of them. I love my Henry H001L. ...still, I arrived at my decision to buy it, partly, because of how it felt in my hands. Smooth and easy is how it was then, and it is moreso, today.

DO NOT think that the Henry Golden Boy & the H001-series will feel the same in your hands. The actions are the same, but the tang & drop of stock for the Golden Boy are much steeper than those of the other-mentioned Henry. Handle both of them.

I think that the Browning BL-22 has a forged STEEL receiver; the Marlin, too. The Henry, indeed, has an aluminum aloy receiver, and it comes apart like this:

...old test reports for Ithaca version:

...a gunsmithing review of the Ithaca:

Remember, you gotta handle ALL of the rifles that you want to buy. Good luck.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! :D

Find an older Marlin - you won't regret it!!!
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I have a bit of experience with the Marlin and the Winchester. Both are Great, I got my daughter a 9422 because it is a little lighter, shorter and trimmer (she is 6). I was just wiping that little carbine down before logging on tonight and am convinced I made a good choice. It works for me at 6'2" and for her at slightly over half of that.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

There isn't a thing wrong with the Henry's.

I have an old Iver Johnson (made by Erma in W. Germany) that is the original design for the Henry. They are so much the same that the set of stocks I found from a Henry fit perfectly on my IJ, no fitting at all.

I like this old lever action .22 so well that I bought a Henry youth model for my grandson. He's only 4, but will be ready to start shooting soon enough.

And just recently I ran across one of those deals you can't pass up, on a Henry Golden Boy .22. That is one gorgeous rifle!

I also have a Marlin 39A, which wears a scope. Without the scope I don't think it's a bit more accurate than the old Iver Johnson.
WAR
Levergunner

Henry

Post by WAR »

We have several Henry 22‘s in our family. They were my boy’s next step after the Daisy. The actions are smooth as butter, their plenty accurate and just fun to shoot. We have shot thousands of rounds through them with never a problem, and I hadn’t seen a can survive them yet.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I just wish the receiver finish on the Henry didn't start coming off so fast. Also the plastic sights and such leave a lot to be desired. If I had a Henry, I'd scope it. They are nice light little rifles and for a kid they might be a good choice.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have both a Browning BL22 and a Winchester 9422, like them both really although the BL22 may just get the edge because of the short throw.
However I am on the lookout for a Marlin to join them.
As Hagler says you have to handle them all before you make up your mind.

Love that avatar gundownunder :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

Find an older marlin ,its worth the effort
GIT 'R done
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I'd go with the Winchester 9422 - keep you eyes on the used markets - should be able to find on.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I really like my Henry large loop carbine. Yes, some plastic but doesn't matter to me as it has no effect on how it shoots. I think it also costs about half of the others if that, brand new and is smooth as silk right out of the box. Great little gun.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

I wonder if Henry will sell the octagon barrel by itself?It looks to be fairly easy to change out