Thou shall not ignore thy mag tube.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Thou shall not ignore thy mag tube.....

Post by adirondakjack »

lest thy carrier smite thee.

EVERYBODY knows Marlins get out of time when there is something wrong with the carrier. And yes, sometimes that is true. We take it for a given, that if all the screws are tight yet the gun no longer feeds ammo it used to be happy with, something has gone amiss with the carrier.

Well we would be wrong, or at least potentially.

My current "go to" rifle is a Spur Special Marlin, specifically Cowboy .45 Special #2, so named because after #1 (which is also in my safe), it was the second such rifle built. Two weeks ago it went "t"s up in the middle of a match, requiring "double clutching" 8 of ten rounds to get through a stage. I stuffed it into the cart disgusted, and put #1 to work.....

Upon disassembly a very mild peen line in the usual "marlin jam" location on the carrier was found, so I pinned and ground that, adding back the proper geometry. NO GOOD, still the same symptom. I found one other slight wear area, so I pinned and ground it as well, still no good.

Then I noticed that although it would frequently glitch when running normally, if I laid the rifle on its side on the bench and cycled it, it worked fine. "World Train Federation, Over?" I mixed myself a drink, set the rifle aside, and surfed the net a while before retiring to bed.

In due course, about 5AM it came to me. The mag tube follower was dragging in the tube, causing the incoming rounds to get behind the timing curve and gnash when the carrier tried to lift a round not yet fully clear of the mag tube bore. When flat on the bench two things were different. I was running the lever very slow, and the "bottom" of the mag tube suddenly was the "side" and vise versa.

So tonight I took the mag tube off and eyeballed it. It looked like the inside of a city water main. UGLY. A dowel with a split end, some plumbers cloth and a drill motor were employed to get the rust, great piles of rust like working on old brake drums, out of the tube. I chased it with coarse steel wool spun on the dowel to get a shine that was oh so nice inside the tube, then waxed it well with Butchers Bowling Alley Wax, which was also applied to a cleaned up SS follower and spring.

Put er back together enough to try some rounds, and she feeds OH SO NICE again, as the rounds can keep up with the carrier......

Thou shall not ignore thy mag tube.........
Certified gun nut
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Thou shall not ignore thy mag tube.....

Post by iceman »

And yet another in the bag of tricks. Thanks
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As I have said many times before, I learn a lot from this website.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

adirondakjack wrote:lest thy carrier smite thee.

EVERYBODY knows Marlins get out of time when there is something wrong with the carrier. And yes, sometimes that is true. We take it for a given, that if all the screws are tight yet the gun no longer feeds ammo it used to be happy with, something has gone amiss with the carrier.

Well we would be wrong, or at least potentially.

My current "go to" rifle is a Spur Special Marlin, specifically Cowboy .45 Special #2, so named because after #1 (which is also in my safe), it was the second such rifle built. Two weeks ago it went "t"s up in the middle of a match, requiring "double clutching" 8 of ten rounds to get through a stage. I stuffed it into the cart disgusted, and put #1 to work.....

Upon disassembly a very mild peen line in the usual "marlin jam" location on the carrier was found, so I pinned and ground that, adding back the proper geometry. NO GOOD, still the same symptom. I found one other slight wear area, so I pinned and ground it as well, still no good.

Then I noticed that although it would frequently glitch when running normally, if I laid the rifle on its side on the bench and cycled it, it worked fine. "World Train Federation, Over?" I mixed myself a drink, set the rifle aside, and surfed the net a while before retiring to bed.

In due course, about 5AM it came to me. The mag tube follower was dragging in the tube, causing the incoming rounds to get behind the timing curve and gnash when the carrier tried to lift a round not yet fully clear of the mag tube bore. When flat on the bench two things were different. I was running the lever very slow, and the "bottom" of the mag tube suddenly was the "side" and vise versa.

So tonight I took the mag tube off and eyeballed it. It looked like the inside of a city water main. UGLY. A dowel with a split end, some plumbers cloth and a drill motor were employed to get the rust, great piles of rust like working on old brake drums, out of the tube. I chased it with coarse steel wool spun on the dowel to get a shine that was oh so nice inside the tube, then waxed it well with Butchers Bowling Alley Wax, which was also applied to a cleaned up SS follower and spring.

Put er back together enough to try some rounds, and she feeds OH SO NICE again, as the rounds can keep up with the carrier......

Thou shall not ignore thy mag tube.........
And we all say: AMEN!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

wow, learn something new everyday. thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax is excellent stuff. I use it on 70 year-old reels and bamboo rods, leather - I can't think of anything that won't be improved by a rub with this stuff.

Another really good product is Boeshield T-12 spray. It dehydrates rust and aluminum clays and leaves behind corrosion inhibitors and wax. I sprayed a frozen solid fishing reel one evening just to help me loosen up the screws so I could disassemble it for a rebuild. The next day, the reel was spinning like a top

I bought a stainless mag follower and spring from Evil Roy for my 1873 - solved the rust problem before it started.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

New dog, old tricks. My '73 suffered from the same malady... similar fix... but after a 2nd reccurence I keep inside clean and dry. Oil, wax & their ilk tend to attract dirt and other "gum up the works" items.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Amen, Amen - And, when it is said unto you: "Clean thy gun", it means EVERYWHERE ! ! ;) :mrgreen:

bhk
Levergunner

Post by bhk »

My 1894 .44 is less than a year old. I had a lot of feeding problems when I bought it. I finally took off the mag tube and peered down it, only to find it was very 'out of round' about half way down the tube. The follower was hanging up, not allowing any or very limited spring pressure on the cartridges in the magazine. Marlin sent me a new tube and all has been well since.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Excellent advice. I have neglected my magazine tubes far too long. Thanks for the reminder!
otteray