OT - I performed surgery on my Super Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

OT - I performed surgery on my Super Blackhawk

Post by homefront »

I don't feel that a $500 gun, or a $5,000 gun, should be left stock to help it hold its value if changes can make it better for the shooter. It was born to shoot, and if it doesn't work right as-is, then make it right!
Since I'm too lazy to recreate the entire post, it can be viewed here:
http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/vie ... f=5&t=1123
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

GREAT WORK!!! I agree with you, Guns are tools and customized guns are the finest tools. Remember that the classic H&H double rifles worth so much today were custom fit to the owners (and still are).
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Funny, I did exactly the same thing with (2) blackhawks that I had, a .357 and .41 mag. My hands are sort of smallish, and the corners of the stock grips and frame would bite my hands no matter how I held them, especially the .41 mag. So I did the same thing, but on the aluminum grip frames they have, black semi-gloss rust-oleum did a great job of covering up the metal. I fine sanded the grips to the right shape and finished them with Tru-Oil and they look twice as good as original.

BTW I did use a disc grinder and bench grinder setup to sand and polish the frames, it IS much easier. I ground the frames with the grips mounted on them until I got the shape I wanted, and them took them off and fine sanded and detailed them. That way I got a perfect fit.
de k8bor

Dave
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Thanks for mentioning the Rustoleum. I've started on My .41 BH as well, and was wondering what to finish it with.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I have to admit, as I watched the progression of photos, I started to get a little squeamish.

After you used some sanding blocks and formed the grip panels, it looks very professional!

Good work m8!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Way to go. Looks like you did a fine job.
I'd like to try the brown finishes, ussually reserved for black powder guns.
I think a Super Brownhawk would be cool.
I have used the flat black rustoleum on a rifle with great results and it has held up good.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Homefront,

I'm just wondering how to tackle my .44 mag. hunter. The stainless will be a bit different. I might leave that one for awhile, because my hands fit completely on those, but I sure do like the round corners. Have to think on that one.

I've never been too squeamish about tackling these things either. I figure if the grip frame goes away, the most it can cost is another grip frame. I've done other work to rifles & such too. Never know until you jump in and try. As long as you do a little pre-planning, it should work out all right 99% of the time.

Good show on you anyway. Good looking work.
de k8bor

Dave
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I've never been too squeamish about tackling these things either. I figure if the grip frame goes away, the most it can cost is another grip frame. I've done other work to rifles & such too. Never know until you jump in and try. As long as you do a little pre-planning, it should work out all right 99% of the time.

Good show on you anyway. Good looking work.
Right on, and thanks!

Dr. Walker, that brown idea is intriguing.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice work. Congrats on the finished product.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Very nice job. I have my OM Vaquero setting right here at my desk because I have been planning to do the same thing. I dont care for the sharp corners either.
Looks great.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

That came out looking great! I have the Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter - and it was the Bisley-grip that sold me on buying it - so I feel the same as you do on the "plow-handle" grips not being comfortable..
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I guess they got the name because they "plow" your hand!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Great job Homefront!!! 8)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Perfect.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is a great job, well done.
I now have yet another project, thanks :D :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Thanks to all, my back needed some patting.
The decision to do this was driven by $. Either spend it on a trade and lose, or buy a Bisley grip frame and lose. So far all it cost me is time and elbow grease, and I'm ending up with what I hope will be essentially the same result.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks great, have you shot it yet?

Personally, the only SA's I can shoot worth a darn have the Bisley grip. I'm with ya, that plow handle just don't get it for me.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I used to have a 357 blackhawk, many years ago. I hated how the grip shifted in my hand after firing a heavy load. I now have a Ruger stainless security six and much prefer the handle design.

I like what you did to yours, but my personal preferance is towards a Redhawk style grip
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Hopefully I'll try it tomorrow or Sunday.
Speaking of Rugers, my fave as far as grips and fit go is the GP100. I'd love to have a 6" blued, cut down to 5", converted to .41 mag. I wonder if it's doable?
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I'm told certain guns can handle the extra power and some cannot. I was told the security six can. Don't know enough about the GP to say, and I haven't read it anywhere.

Is the 41 ammo much higher?