Help w/ large frame Whitney Kennedy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mumbolia
Levergunner

Help w/ large frame Whitney Kennedy

Post by mumbolia »

I recently picked up a Large Frame Whitney Kennedy in 40-60 cal w/ an exc. bore!!!! The only problem w/ the rifle is that the lever would fall open when cocked. When my gunsmith looked into it, he found it was missing a part that is pinned under the bolt that has something to do swith locking the lever in place when closed.
Anyone know of a source for parts for these?
Does anyone have one they don't mind taking apart and photographing the missing part? My gunsmith is incredible and can make almost anything!!
In a few days, I'll go visit him and take & post photos of the disassembled rifle & where the part goes.
Thanx!!!!!!!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Help w/ large frame Whitney Kennedy

Post by Malamute »

I know a guy that may have the information you need. I'll probaby see him over the weekend.

Get your pics of your gun and where the part is missing, and I'll relay it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

John has done some unbelievable work for me also. He's an extremely professional old school gunsmith. Your rifle will show up, with an attached invoice, then you send him payment.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D No help here from me! So welcome to the fire !

Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! :D
mumbolia
Levergunner

Post by mumbolia »

Here are the photos of where the missing part goes. I ordered a repriny 1884 whitney catalog that has a schematic, but that does not shed any light on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

It might be worth looking over the Kennedy patent.

It's been a while, but I thought I read drooping levers were not uncommon in these; Ballard singles have a similar problem. I'll look through my copy of Maxwell's book on the Burgess patent lever actions to see if I can locate that comment.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I tried to copy the pictures to send to the guy that may be able to help, but they didnt copy as a jpeg picture, and I can't open them after copying. Can you send me the pics directly as jpeg pics?

He's not a member of the forum, so can't see the pics. The way they were loaded you have to be signed in to see them. Do you have a photobucket account that you could load them there then link the IMG code so he could see them?

Either way would work.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

KWK wrote:It might be worth looking over the Kennedy patent.

It's been a while, but I thought I read drooping levers were not uncommon in these; Ballard singles have a similar problem. I'll look through my copy of Maxwell's book on the Burgess patent lever actions to see if I can locate that comment.
Geez KWK, where the heck did you get that from???

Welcome to the fire mumbolia.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Well, OTH, Ballards become droopy when the link between the lever and the breech wears its pins. The lever is held up by forcing the link over center, and wear on the pins prevents sufficient compression to keep the weight of the lever from pulling it all back over center.

I recall reading the Kennedy's have some friction fit that can wear--emphasis on the recall part. Maxwell's book has over 100 pages on the Kennedy, and a quick glance over that section didn't find what I recalled. So, it certainly may be my ever more unreliable memory fooling with me. I should have time to look over the book again tomorrow, and perhaps I'll discover what it was I am recalling.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Nope, it was just my memory. I've looked over the chapters on the Burgess and the Kennedy and can't find anything about drooping levers in this basic action.

Nor can I find what keeps the lever up, period. The Whitney parts lists mention a "snap," a spring loaded part at the back of the bottom plate. This part is shown in the Kennedy carrier patent (215,227), but this drawing doesn't show any detent in the lever to hold it; it looks to act more like a dust cover. The original Burgess patent (134,589) didn't have this part (and doesn't mention what keeps the lever up).

Some of the Whitney parts lists mention a Lever Cam and its Spring, but I can't find on what they cam.

The parts under the breech which look to be missing might be those shown in the Tiesing & Kennedy ejector patent, which is 218,462 (readily available on google.com/patents).