Which rear sight for an 1894?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jahrs
Levergunner 2.0

Which rear sight for an 1894?

Post by Jahrs »

I just received my new (used) Marlin 1894 357/38 pre-safety model that I have been hunting high and low for and when I opened the box the rear sight had broke in shipment. I am lucky that was all that was damaged since it came all the way from Hawaii to NC. ((My biggest fear about buying rifles on the internet is shipping) Since I need to replace it does anyone have an opinion as it what to buy? I would like to be able to shoot fairly accurately out to 75 to 100 yards?
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Which rear sight for an 1894?

Post by iceman »

I wouls say a Skinner sight.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'd put a Lyman 66LA or a Williams FP 94/36 on it. Get rid of the rear barrel sight, put in a dovetail filler, and then add a post type front sight.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I put a Marbles semi-buckhorn on mine. Something like This.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What Joe said.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's a good LINK - to levergun sight pictures from a thread on this forum. Pics of all kinds of aperture sights (barrel, receiver, and tang-mounted). Mostly sights I've used, and comments about them. I took photos through as many of them as I could, in an attempt to show the 'sight picture' you get.

For the type shooting you describe, I'd get the Williams FP; the FP-336 (which just mounts on the top of the receiver in the scope-mount holes) if your gun doesn't have the two little holes on the upper left of the receiver pre-drilled, and the FP-94/36 if they're there, or if you want to get them drilled and tapped yourself. When I use the FP-336, I mount it in the FRONT scope holes, by the way, because I find it just as easy to use, and less 'in the way' as far as handling and carrying.

Image Image Pics are from LINK above.
The pic on the left is a "94/36" side-mount style, and the on on the right the "336" top-mount style.
Both can be had with or without the "TK" target knobs (as on the right pic above).

The middle gun below is a Marlin 1894 with the Williams FP on it, showing the unobtrusive and low profile.

If you want, you can get the "TK" model that has finger-adjustable knobs for elevation and windage (pics of these are in the LINK above), but the best option I think is to get a regular sight, but order a "Target" elevation knob only (you have to get it separately but it is easy to swap out). I rarely change windage adjustment at the range.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ has lots of Williams models in stock, http://www.brownells.com/ has a few more, plus sells the target knobs separately, and http://www.williamsgunsight.com/ has them all. Brownell's part numbers are 962-157-240 & 250 for the short and long Target Elevation Knobs, respectively.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat May 29, 2010 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I prefer the XS or Ashley Ghost Ring set up
Jahrs
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jahrs »

AJMD429, all I can say is WOW thanks for all of the research and pics and time you put into that thread. I will read it later and digest it all. Question: for older eyes (I am 51) I can still see fairly clear at distance but up close and arms length is fuzzy at best, is it better to have a longer distance or shorter distance between front and rear sights? (rear sight in stock barrel dovetail or closer to yours eyes and mounted on the receiver)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For an aperture sight, distance to the rear sight doesn't seem to matter that much, but for an open sight you actually have to see well enough to line up its notch with the front bead/blade, older eyes do better with them out a ways (closer to the front sight) but unfortunately the sight radius is shorter that way.

That's one reason why I like aperture sights. They can be way out front and still useable (the link has a pic of my barrel-mounted, fold-down Ruger Ranch Rifle peep, and yes, it works well), back on the tang, or in-between on the receiver. The reason is you don't actually focus on them - you just look through them, and your eye 'automatically' centers the front sight in your little circular field of vision.

Some other threads on the forum have addressed some other ways to improve your visual depth-of-field, in particular a 'pinpoint' aperture you can put on your (shooting) glasses. They really help, especially if you have to use an 'open' sight instead of a peep/aperture one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Skinner post front sight with a Williams rear.

You might want to let Dr. Skinner know the load you
plan to shoot, so he'll send you the correct height
front post. The Williams sight has a lot of adjustment,
so it'll probably work with whatever you get. Worth
mentioning to the gent, though.

Both Williams and Skinner make great stuff, and both
stand behind it.

-Tom
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A receiver peep sight - + 1,274 ;)

If the broken rear barrel sight's a longleaf type, the leaf can be cut off and the dovetail part refiled to match the front edge to make a nice/FREE slot filler blank.

BTW - If you use a top-mount receiver sight, like the Skinner, the XS, or some William's models, you WILL need a higher front sight blade to zero the rifle, or it will shoot too high with the rear sight all the way down.
The Skinner LoPro, however, will readily zero using the issue height front sight.

www.skinnersights.com

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

You can also go with a nice Marlbes tang sight - no need for a new front sight, can use multiple sized sight disks, is fully adjustable windage and elevation, has the longest sight plane - adjusts way up there for fun long range shooting too if you want.

Here's one on my Rossi 44:

I also like the XS sights but you have to get a taller front sight too with them:

And if you want to stick with the original style - then go with a good Marbles semi buckhorn.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not the best photo of them but I love the Brockman front and rear sights I had installed on my 94P!

It's like shooting a lever action version of my M14 sight picture wise and very durable.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Jahrs
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jahrs »

I just ordered the Marbles "Bullseye" sight from Brownells. Thanks for all the information and help. I believe I will go with the Williams FP or a Skinner for the 336 30/30.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:I'd put a Lyman 66LA or a Williams FP 94/36 on it. Get rid of the rear barrel sight, put in a dovetail filler, and then add a post type front sight.

JMHO

Joe
Dittos.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

If your rifle is Drilled and Tapped for it, I would definitely go with the side mount Williams or Lyman peeps like Joe and Hobie has suggested. If like my Marlin 1894 Cowboy, it does not have the side mount holes, the Skinner or XS will do trick. I went with the XS, but that is before I knew about Skinner.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

2ndovc wrote:Image
very nice, indeed.
sorry to stray OT (oK, I'mmm NOT sorry) - who made the sling?