OT (thank God) - more (big) snakes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

OT (thank God) - more (big) snakes

Post by vancelw »

All this coral snake talk is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

I was working on some welding projects this weekend, and was going to beef up the floor of an old jeep axle trailer a friend gave me.
trailer 1.jpg
I saw something moving under it, on the far side of the axle. Peering into the void where the brake drum used to be, I see.... :?: :!: :?:
trailer 2.jpg
As if I still wasn't sure, looking under the trailer I see... :shock:
trailer 3.jpg
I don't know what that 5 foot chicken snake was doing wrapped around that axle, but I decided to work on my trailer another day :D

The wife has the dogs penned up nowadays so they don't dig up the flower beds before our oldest daughter's wedding. I told her there would be no snakes in the yard (or deer or gophers) if the dogs were free. She offered to turn them loose but I wouldn't let her.
In my younger days, if it slithered it died, but now I only kill poisonous snakes and snakes that get in my personal space. Since he had the trailer first, I conceded defeat. But, if I catch him in my shop, he better have a mouse in his jaws or I'm gonna bust him (as soon as I get my heart rate down and my fingers out of the rafters.) Since copperheads and moccasins are not rare here, and coral snakes and rattlers are not unheard of, I am known to shoot first and identify later when it comes to Eve's partner-in-crime.

Oh, and I'll use a levergun if I think about it .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: OT (thank God) - more (big) snakes

Post by Doc Hudson »

Chicken snakes are not as harmless as folks claim.

I'll post a story about something that happened when I was a kid.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Prolly coulda run him outta there with the garden hose.

I don't know that I'd play "King of the Mountain" with a reptile.

With reference to your policy statement from younger days, he'd leave peaceable or he'd die.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's my favorite kind of snake to find in the house...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:Here's my favorite kind of snake to find in the house...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

In bad light that one could still draw fire from me!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Afraid of snakes? Well, when I was visiting my dad in Casper in about 64 or so he moved from one house to the next. My step mothers brother was there and he and dad were talking about something. I was snooping around under the kitchen sink and found an old screen door spring. I pulled it out saying; hey look what I found; when the BIL saw it he screamed like a little girl, and tried to run from the house. I swear he was 6" off the floor with his feet just churning air. He finally disappeared out the door. I stood there in the kitchen with the spring wiggling around in my hand and a dumbfounded "what the heck" look on my face. Finally my dad said the BIL was scared of snakes. I guess.
AJMD's bore snake reminded me of that time.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Doc Hudson wrote:Chicken snakes are not as harmless as folks claim.

I'll post a story about something that happened when I was a kid.
Tell me the story Uncle Doc! I like stories.

I don't have any small children or pets, and the chickens can fend for themselves. :lol: (I hate chickens worse than snakes)
FWiedner wrote:Prolly coulda run him outta there with the garden hose.

I don't know that I'd play "King of the Mountain" with a reptile.

With reference to your policy statement from younger days, he'd leave peaceable or he'd die.

:lol:
Oh Fred, you must not know any procrastinators... :lol:

I didn't Really want to work on my trailer...I just needed an excuse. If he gets in my "no touchy" area or surprises me ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, I will punch his ticket. :evil: Garden hose won't reach. I live in the COUNTRY! i wiggled the trailer back and forth and he just wrapped up tighter. If Really wanted him out, I'd of fired up the welder (but no hood with a snake around)

Once the wedding is over, the Black Labs of Death will be loosed again, and all creepy-crawly things must be wary or die. If I really wanted to punish the snake, I'd tell the bride and (at 21) she'd catch it and "love" (torture) it to death. At a young age, she would bring home snakes. I'd try to explain that some snakes bite and are poisonous, and she'd say,"no they don't Daddy!" as she'd prove it to me by sticking her finger in the snake's mouth. :!: I can't believe she lived long enough to graduate college!!!
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

by far the best choice for the house. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"