Marlin 1894 45colt Cowboy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 1894 45colt Cowboy

Post by meanc »

I'm going to be looking at one of these 45colt Cowboys tomorrow.

Anyone here had any experience with them, positive or negative?

Have there been any bore size/chamber/action/barrel issues with these?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've had one for about a year now. So far it's shot well. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get to a 100 yard range with it yet. Hopefully soon. But at the indoor 25 YD range it will shoot the X out of the target if I do my part.

No idea about the bore or groove diameter, I haven't slugged it yet. But it does "seem" to be partial to .454" bullets. 25 Yds is really no test for it though.

Other than the fact the front sight was way too tall for me (Marlin puts a 1/2" tall front sight with a huge bead on them) and the rear sight had so much tension on it (I could not adjust the elevation without prying up the sight blade with a screw driver to move the elevator) I haven't had any troubles worth mentioning.

Mine has functioned and fed everything I've stuffed into the magazine, including full length 270gr Keith bullet loads so there's no complaints there.

This is the second version of the Marlin Cowboy with the 20" barrel. I had an earlier one with the 24" barrel that I can't give a good report on.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ejc
Levergunner

Post by ejc »

J Miller, sorry you had a bad experience with the 24 in version. I bought the first 24 in 1894CB in 45 Colt that showed up in my town. It is a flawless rifle. Shoots well, cycles well, and looks great. It also better matches my 45-70 CB that has a 26 inch barrel than the 20 incher would.

Love them both.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice looking rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I have three Marlin 1894s in 45 Colt:

24" Cowboy
20" Cowboy Carbine
16" Marlin Limited

Both of the Cowboys are solid performers, and shoot bertter than I can hold. So is the "Limited;" it's a handy little bugger, and one of my favorite levers in the stable. It's the easiest on my loading thumb, too.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

ejc,

I really liked that 24" rifle too. But due to financial problems I had to sell some things and it was one of them. I didn't get to figure out it's matters before it went.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I had the Cowboy Custom. It was the ONLY Marlin that I have owned that would not shoot to my standards. I only mention this because you asked. My one and ONLY one bad experience with any Marlin levergun has not stopped me from owning many others. I sold it to a gent who knew of it's limitations and did not care. If you want one then by all means. Regards. 1886.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love my 1894 Cowboy .45 colt. 24". A fine shootin rifle and one of my favorites. :D
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

A couple of the blokes at the levergun club where I shoot have them and they can shoot the x out at 100 if they try. One junior at the club has no trouble plinking the steel ram at 200 with his dads with peep sights.
I've shot them a few times and they are a pleasure to shoot and if I decide to get anything bigger than my .357 then the 1894 in .45 will be it.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.