Anyone like gold-dot front sights on their revolvers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Anyone like gold-dot front sights on their revolvers?

Post by Triggernosis »

...thinking of putting one on my Model 60....
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Anyone like gold-dot front sights on their revolvers?

Post by Buck Elliott »

Lots of folks seem to like 'em. They usually go well with a shallow V-notch rear sight. I have tried them in the past, and they worked all right for me, but most "bead" sights for revolvers aren't quite as robust and sturdy as a simple post might be. I won't risk a bent sight, or a busted-off bead, if I can help it.

YMMV
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I installed a rifle bead sight on my sbh with a peep to replace the stock notched rear sight. Long barrel, shot like a carbine. Made tons of venison.

I don't know how well it would work on the shorter barrel, that's largely a function of your eyesight.

Grizz
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

I have one of a stainless single six that Alan Harton customized for me. 4 5/8" barrel and I like it alot! Poor eyesight, old eyes and I can pick it up in different light conditions.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I still have one on my Super-blackhawk, and am trying a rear Peep vs. the home-made 'V' notch one I had on it for 30 years.

I made a 'slip-on' (...and 'fly-off') sight protector by bending a sheet of stainless steel cut from a hamburger spatula; it just slips over the barrel, and is 'U' shaped with a narrow top that hugs the (Williams Shorty) ramp base of the front sight, to protect it yet is open on top to allow light. It rarely stays on during shooting, but the intent was to protect the sights when NOT actually shooting. I hardly ever use it, though, but just was experimenting a bit with it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I DO REALLY LIKE THE McGIVERN BEAD WHICH IS A GOLD BEAD IN A PATRIDGE POST FRONT SIGHT ON S&W SIXGUNS.
A BEAD FRONT SIGHT WITH A SHALLOW V REAR SIGHT ON A SIXGUN IS ONLY SLIGHTLY LESS USELESS THAN MAMARIES ON A STUD HORSE AT ANY DISTANCE BEYOND POINT BLANK. THEY WILL NOT HOLD ELEVATION NOR WINDAGE FOR ME ATALL.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Tell us how you really feel, Terry. Too funny. I like Freedom Arms express sight. In fact I need to get one for a replacement.
Old Law Dawg
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Here's my meat gun. It took deer for years in Alaska. I cut the dovetail in the ramp after sawing the blade off. The rear peep was made by Omega IIRC.

10" barrel. I shot lots of beach deer from my boat. My daughter shot a caribou with it. That load in the picture isn't the one I used in Alaska, but it's the same weight.

Grizz
325g-c.png
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I'm with Terry, put a shallow V notch rear blade and gold bead on my 7.5" Redhawk back in the mid 80's Worthless set up as far as I'm concerned.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I replaced the Hi-Viz front sight on my 5 inch 686 with a Patridge/gold bead.I also replaced the AWFUL v notch rear blade with a standard notch sight(I HATE v-notch rear sights !!) The combination makes a great plate shooter.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."