Cougar in the neighborhood...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Cougar in the neighborhood...

Post by RSY »

...and, no, I don't mean the comely female human type.

There is a little 1-acre neighborhood park about 100 yards from our house. I don't know how it got in here. It's a least a mile inside the subdivision. A neighbor saw it around noon today laid up in a big live oak, and another neighbor is missing their family cat. So, I'm loading up the 870 with #3 buck and keeping the dachshunds inside. Not a good feeling.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cougar in the neighborhood...

Post by 20cows »

Is it within the confines of a city's limits?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Keep an eye out...................There was one sighted a few monthes ago in a neighborhood in Tacoma miles from the woods...just a few green belts that twist and turn around the city..
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Does it look like this?

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Had/have one running the canyon behind my place. When first spotted, the animal cops tried to claim it was a prank. Funny how they changed their minds when several neighbors produced still and video footage of the cat in their backyards. The called in "experts" and the experts decided it was too late in the day to track it, but woud try the next day. Well, the "experts", none of whom by the way had any hunting/tracking experience, couldn't find it. Of course, they probably had to look "mountain lion" up on the internet to figure out what they were looking for.

Long story short, the "experts" decided it was someones "illegal pet" that got out, and probably went back home. Somehow, it seems pretty difficult to imagine someone could keep a full grown mountain lion as a pet and no one would know about it. So, the experts quit looking, but fluffy and scruffy seem to keep disappearing.

For an "urban" area, SoCal has quite a bit of wild country, and it wouldn't be hard for a cat to have a fairly large area to roam in with the way the canyons and such are interconnected.

Now, not that I've gone looking, but I like to hike in some of the local canyons. And having a ccw, I usually have a handgun one me. Funny how it generally seems to be a .45 colt short barreled Blackhawk with me when I take a stroll. Note, I do this in the daylight. I ain't that dumb.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

We have thousands of them near me here in Nor-cal. I knew a lady that was killed a few years back. No hunting cougars here, except at the mall, or Applebees.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Joel wrote:We have thousands of them near me here in Nor-cal. I knew a lady that was killed a few years back. No hunting cougars here, except at the mall, or Applebees.
"Self Defense" is allowed, but expect a big hassel. Some years back, a fellow shot one on his balcony. He, at first, had a hard time convincing the cops he had shot one. Latter he had to prove the darned thing was on his balcony when shot.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

SSS
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

They are not protected here. Parks and Wildlife just asks that you notify them where you see or shoot them so they can update their sighting database.

I'm just outside the city limits, but it's pretty thick residential. That's why I'm keeping the shotgun ready, rather than the BB94.

Here are the park coordinates if you want to look on Google Earth:

30.512503, -97.729881
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's an awful lot of houses there but not really too far to travel. I've been amazed at how much you can do in a rather crowded urban area at night if you're being quiet.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Is the term “CAT BURGLAR” appropriate?
Good Luck.
It is not the critic who counts
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

two cats have been reported at Friedrich Park on the northwest side of San Antonio.
One was reported crossing IH-10 there early one morning.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Those cats are pretty good at crossing. I don't think I've ever seen a road-kill mountain lion. I've seen many dead deer and coyotes, and even gators on the stretch of I-10 between New Orleans and the bridges to Slidell, but never a cougar.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have had coyotes take dogs and cats here, but not a cougar yet. I would be more worried about a cougar than a coyote. If you have a CHL, don't go near that park without your pistol. I wouldn't go looking for it, but if it came looking for me I would want it to find more than it could handle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Oh, I'm worried about it, alright. Even before this, I regularly carried a concealed sidearm to that park.

I did go looking for it early this AM. I took my .40 and my binos and basically "cleared" the park. With so many kids around I don't think I want to take passive approach, in this case.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

They are just about the "perfect" specimen of wild critter-at least predator-- when you think about it: fast, strong, large enough to take on just about anything but large bear. Not a whole lot else you'd design into one. Through an odd "once in a lifetime circumstance, got to "play" with one--a young adult (teen?) 1 year old--several years back. It'd been orphaned as a cub and picked up (uninjured) by a trucker. Game & Fish was transferring it to a big cat preserve in Oregon, and a gent was down in Az to pick it up. An hour rough-housing with this magnificent (for those not attacked or otherwise threatened by them) creature was quite an experience. As solid as a big lab, gi-normous paws, could hear the purr from 20 feet across the room.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

RSY wrote:Those cats are pretty good at crossing. I don't think I've ever seen a road-kill mountain lion. I've seen many dead deer and coyotes, and even gators on the stretch of I-10 between New Orleans and the bridges to Slidell, but never a cougar.
about 1981 when i was in the army at san antonio, one was killed by a car on the outer [ back then ] beltway about 430 one morning, as i recall it was a whopper over 150 lbs, i think the picture was in the paper. a friend saw one not far from there when he was walking over another friends acreage just outside city limits about the same time of year. kinda neat around a city that large!
cable
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

One question...why would anyone want to report a sighting or a killing of a cougar to the authorities. I agree with OSOK...SSS...what they don't know can't hurt you.

Ed
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Kansas Ed wrote:One question...why would anyone want to report a sighting or a killing of a cougar to the authorities. I agree with OSOK...SSS...what they don't know can't hurt you.

Ed
Because in Texas, it's legal to hunt/shoot them, so no harm no foul. Texas Parks and Wildlife is just trying to keep tabs on their ever-changing range. I don't have any problem providing them with such data. It's not required, just the neighborly thing to do.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

With so many kids around I don't think I want to take passive approach, in this case.
You hit the nail squarely on the head!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I knew the young woman who was killed by the cougar in El Dorado county, CA, back in 1994. The investigation showed that she evidently turned her back on the cat and tried to run. Sad, but a big mistake.

A local acquaintance of mine also killed a cougar that stalked him while he was turkey hunting. This event also occurred in El Dorado, Co. The lion went for him and he killed it with his shotgun at 10 ft. DF&G wardens tried to cite him, but with witnesses testifying to the exact events, they had to drop the case. This is typical of the protectionist attitude of the State of California. Prior to the foolish moratorium on mountain lions, it was considered OK to kill bothersome animals, but no more. Even a lion harming a human is no reason to kill the poor thing. B darned S!! Sappy do-gooders are the bane of our once great State. I vote for a drop on cougar protection. With more and more city folks moving into the hills, the cats are forced to seek new territory and are now seen in every county, except San Francisco. We could use a few of them around Polk Gulch, now, couldn't we? Lions are seen in increasing numbers in the metropolitan Sacramento area, especially along the parkway of the American River, an open and wild area that provides cover and food. I expect that a hapless cyclist or walker will be the next to be "contacted" by a cougar. There will much hand wringing and whining by the masses and the cat will be captured and transported elsewhere to start the cycle over again. There is no "learning curve" with animal lovers and urban residents. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

A few years ago, a couple of boys with a flashlight and a single shot 12ga. killed one in Elmendorf, just out of San Antonio toward Floresville, that had been bothering their chicken coop.

On various hunting concerns over the years, we used to see cougars regularly around Tilden, Uvalde and the Big Bend area. We've only spotted a couple on our lease south of Ozona then saw one roadkilled on IH 10 about 20 miles east of Ozona last year.

In my 45 years of stumbling through the brush, Big Bend is the only area in Texas that I'm aware of officials having verified consistant problems with their aggression or stalking of humans.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Mike D. wrote:I knew the young woman who was killed by the cougar in El Dorado county, CA, back in 1994. The investigation showed that she evidently turned her back on the cat and tried to run. Sad, but a big mistake.

A local acquaintance of mine also killed a cougar that stalked him while he was turkey hunting. This event also occurred in El Dorado, Co. The lion went for him and he killed it with his shotgun at 10 ft. DF&G wardens tried to cite him, but with witnesses testifying to the exact events, they had to drop the case. This is typical of the protectionist attitude of the State of California. Prior to the foolish moratorium on mountain lions, it was considered OK to kill bothersome animals, but no more. Even a lion harming a human is no reason to kill the poor thing. B darned S!! Sappy do-gooders are the bane of our once great State. I vote for a drop on cougar protection. With more and more city folks moving into the hills, the cats are forced to seek new territory and are now seen in every county, except San Francisco. We could use a few of them around Polk Gulch, now, couldn't we? Lions are seen in increasing numbers in the metropolitan Sacramento area, especially along the parkway of the American River, an open and wild area that provides cover and food. I expect that a hapless cyclist or walker will be the next to be "contacted" by a cougar. There will much hand wringing and whining by the masses and the cat will be captured and transported elsewhere to start the cycle over again. There is no "learning curve" with animal lovers and urban residents. :(

Small world Mike, I knew Barb too. Ive been all over that canyon chasing deer, quail, pigeon, seen a few cougars and tons of tracks, hundreds of bears.

Ive seen cougars in downtown Auburn at night, at the Bailey House in Pilot Hill, along the shores of Folsom.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

RSY wrote:Those cats are pretty good at crossing. I don't think I've ever seen a road-kill mountain lion. I've seen many dead deer and coyotes, and even gators on the stretch of I-10 between New Orleans and the bridges to Slidell, but never a cougar.
One road killed cougar was found in south central Kansas a while back. Our Parks and Wildlife dept still say there are none in Kansas. Said he was just traveling through.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

pdawg.shooter wrote:
RSY wrote:Said he was just traveling through.
Ain't we all... 8)
gyrhed
Levergunner

Post by gyrhed »

I have seen several up near the red river east of wichita falls, I have seen bobcats and coyotes out my back door in sunnyvale (Dallas Co.), but luckily no big cats.

Cats of any kind arte hell on dogs. A lot of good 40-70# bird dogs have been killed by bob cats so I don't want to run into one.

We are starting to see bear sign occationally up on the red river. Everybody said we were crazy but I noticed this year TP&W says if you see a black bear you can't shoot it. So they are now admitting they are there. I don't like the idea of having to prove that the bear was atttacking you to justify shooting it. For most of us fat old men with bad eyes there is only a moment between the bear casually walking by and attacking.
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

jeepnik wrote:....Long story short, the "experts" decided it was someones "illegal pet" that got out, and probably went back home....
Sounds like your 'experts' don't know much about wild animals in general - kept by humans or not!

I've found spoor while out deer hunting outside Sonorra on a lease a few years back. Completely changed my attitude about being out alone after dark. My sidearm was upgraded from a Single Six to a .45.

I live in the 'burbs, but I'd sure hate to even think about finding one of my beloved pets half eaten. Got a little Schnauzer that is afraid of exactly nothin'... and that would be his downfall.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Over the past weekend, a 2-year old mountain lion was killed by LE and G&F in downtown Sheridan, Wyoming. Another cat of approximately the same age & size, is known to be still on the loose in the vicinity...

Watch yer topknot...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I wish I new how to post this link, but A guy who lives very near to me posted some game camera pics of a Cougar a big male and a female with 4 kittens last years baby's in South West Calgary millerville area. For those of you with more computer skills than I check out Calgary Couger pics(Google) in the Calgary Herald.
He found a Road kill put it in his back yard and set up a cam you should see the pic's, the Tom has muscles on top of his Muscles that cat has got to go a easy 200lbs Funny thing is most do not know they live right here one of the most populated Cougars spots in NA. Because we are over run with Deer!
I tried to down load the pics and link but it would not work for me.
Gotta check out these big cat's! it was on local news a week ago.
For those interested try Calgary Cougar Game camera pic's( Google) that way you avoid the Cougars in Hi heels.
I wish I could post that link!
The man that set up the Cam was just wanting to see what critters came to the dead Deer He got one Fox no yotes wonder why they aint dumb lol.
P.S The UOFC set up Game cams on Spurce medows a horse jumping place in the SW just outside of city limits that holds many events every year, they cought a family, Mom and her cubs sitting on a Patio table last year must be the smell of horses?.Thay caused no trouble and FW was not called out that was also on local news.They figure they came for the Deer not the Horses good thing too.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Markbo wrote:
jeepnik wrote:....Long story short, the "experts" decided it was someones "illegal pet" that got out, and probably went back home....
Sounds like your 'experts' don't know much about wild animals in general - kept by humans or not!

I've found spoor while out deer hunting outside Sonorra on a lease a few years back. Completely changed my attitude about being out alone after dark. My sidearm was upgraded from a Single Six to a .45.

I live in the 'burbs, but I'd sure hate to even think about finding one of my beloved pets half eaten. Got a little Schnauzer that is afraid of exactly nothin'... and that would be his downfall.
What can I say. The CDF is populated by college kids who grew up in the city. Urban animal control folks are even less well versed in undomesticated critters. I offered some assistance, and was informed that "amature" civlians had no place trying to track "wild" animals. Hmm, been hunting since, oh heck over half a century. Guess I'm one heck of an amature. I figure one of these days, the cat will show back up in a back yard enjoying a snack.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jeepnik wrote:I offered some assistance, and was informed that "amature" civlians had no place trying to track "wild" animals. Hmm, been hunting since, oh heck over half a century. Guess I'm one heck of an amature. I figure one of these days, the cat will show back up in a back yard enjoying a snack.
Sometimes it's better to be a "gifted amateur" rather than a "trained professional"... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

awp101 wrote:
jeepnik wrote:I offered some assistance, and was informed that "amature" civlians had no place trying to track "wild" animals. Hmm, been hunting since, oh heck over half a century. Guess I'm one heck of an amature. I figure one of these days, the cat will show back up in a back yard enjoying a snack.
Sometimes it's better to be a "gifted amateur" rather than a "trained professional"... :lol:

Hey, wasn't Emma a "gifted amateur"? Now that would be some great company to be in.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Emma? Emma who? The only Emma I know is Emma Gee... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Markbo wrote:Sounds like your 'experts' don't know much about wild animals in general - kept by humans or not!
Indiana News wrote:State officials confirm mountain lion in S. Ind.

A DNR biologist investigating a reported sighting of the cougar used motion-sensitive trail cameras to photograph it last weekend.

The DNR says the last documented case of a wild mountain lion in Indiana is believed to have been recorded between 1850 and 1865.
I guess we won't be hunting them anytime soon, as this is likely an escapee or something isolated, but if I lived near the area, I'd be taking a gun whenever I went out for chores...

(...of course, I guess I do that already... :wink: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Dam, I was hoping for some help with the coug pic's.? or a link lol
goatneck
Levergunner

Post by goatneck »

HEY NEIGHBOR; I'M A COUPLE HUNDRED MILES NORTH OF YA ON THE BRAZOS. WE'VE SEEN OUR FAIR SHARE IN THE LAST 30 YEARS. IN COLLEGE (WILDLIFE MAJOR), I LEARNED A LITTLE MORE THAN I ALREADY KNEW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENC. MALES HAVE A TERRITORY OF UP TO 100 SQ MILES. FEMALES ABOUT HALF THAT. IN YOUR SITUATION, HOWS THE UNGULATE POPULATION AROUND YOU? THE TIMES TO HAVE CONCERN IS WHEN THEIR TARGET PREY IS LOW; IT IS A YOUNGER LION THAT HAS BEEN "KICKED OUT" OF AN OLDER ONES RANGE; A MOTHER WITH YOUNG HID; A ROUGE LION THAT HAS "CHANGED" IT'S TARGET PREY TO DOMESTICATED PREY; AND FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE, IF YOU SEE THE SAME LION MORE THAN ONCE, IT NEEDS TO GO. NOT TRYING TO SCARE YA; JUST MAKE YA AWARE.
KEEP YOUR PETS INSIDE, WATCH YOUR CHILDREN 100% OF THE TIME, STAY ARMED AS YOU ARE DOIN' AND BE CAREFUL BEING OUT AT NIGHT! LIONS ARE NORMALLY NOCTURNAL AND WILL BE ON YA BEFORE YOU KNOW IT.

BE SAFE MY FRIEND
GOD BLESS
"Evil Men can only do Terrible things when Good Men do NOTHING"
"Those whom speak negative of our troops drip of Vilenous Excrement"

NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER; TEA PARTY PATRIOT
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

awp101 wrote:Emma? Emma who? The only Emma I know is Emma Gee... :mrgreen:
Geesh, you gotta be young. Emma Peele, of the original Avengers series. Portrayed by now Dame Diana Rigg.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

She can watch my 6 any time...

I miss the old days!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and don't forget the one that was killed in Chicago a few years ago...

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=172934

"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

brno602 wrote:Dam, I was hoping for some help with the coug pic's.? or a link lol
Here ya go
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Ran ... story.html
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

Holy smokes! That Tom is ripped! He looks like Evander Holyfield in his prime!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Geesh, you gotta be young. Emma Peele, of the original Avengers series. Portrayed by now Dame Diana Rigg.

Image[/quote]

A small but important point; Mrs Peele was a "Talented Amateur."
-Brian
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

El Chivo wrote:and don't forget the one that was killed in Chicago a few years ago...

So, it's the scooters they're after. It's all adding up now.

At this point, no other sightings or incidents. My original theory, which I'm kinda returning to, is that it came in at night, fell asleep and woke up somewhere it probably didn't really want to be. Or...

This area is a major Karst region, so lots of caves. In fact there's an entrance to one at the base of the big tree it was spotted in. It could be playing house in that cave and only coming and going at night/early morning, unseen by anyone. It's not rare for me to find deer droppings on my front sidewalk, so food is definitely available in the immediate vicinity.

We'll see. Staying vigilant...

Scott
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

quietman wrote:
brno602 wrote:Dam, I was hoping for some help with the coug pic's.? or a link lol
Here ya go
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Ran ... story.html
Thanks man! I new someone could post a link for me.
The big cat's are not rare here but still very cool pic's I thought.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BrianSH wrote:Geesh, you gotta be young. Emma Peele, of the original Avengers series. Portrayed by now Dame Diana Rigg.

A small but important point; Mrs Peele was a "Talented Amateur."
-Brian[/quote]

I stand corrected. Been awhile since I've seen an episode.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

"........and don't forget the one that was killed in Chicago a few years ago... "

Yes, but if turned out that was an out of state hit-cougar brought in by the mob, but someone tipped off the police, probably a rival gang. the cat was supposed to take out Obama's neighbor, the one with the questionabl ereal estate/mob connection......; ) or at least that is what i heard : )
cable
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jeepnik wrote:

38 and I don't recall it being on in re-runs when I was growing up. If it was, it wasn't something my parents watched. At least not while I was around... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

awp101 wrote:
jeepnik wrote:

38 and I don't recall it being on in re-runs when I was growing up. If it was, it wasn't something my parents watched. At least not while I was around... :lol:
Yep, just a youngster, but they do have it on DVD. Might want to check it out. Poked fun at the whole 007 thing pretty good.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"