Puma 92 Recoil Pad ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Puma 92 Recoil Pad ??

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

I took my Puma 92 .45 Colt out a couple of weeks ago to evaluate a handload..... a 250 grain cast bullet loaded to about 1300 fps. About the third shot I realized that the recoil coming from the curved steel butt-plate was going to be very uncomfortable before I got through shooting. I've still got the 'green' part of black and blue on my shoulder/arm.

The folks at Leverguns Leather Works make some really nice butt-cuffs for leverguns, and I've had one of their cuffs on my want list for some time. http://www.levergunleather.com/p_buttstock_covers.htm

My question......where can I find a piece of recoil pad "stuff" that I could send to these folks so they could sew it into my cuff?? Remember curved steel butt-plate.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Puma 92 Recoil Pad ??

Post by COSteve »

Just a suggestion. I gave Sports World (info@sportsworldtulsa.com) in Tulsa a call (918) 742-4027, and asked it they sold a buttstock and plate for a carbine (flat butt plate) and/or a buttstock for a 454 Casull carbine (recoil pad built in).

He said they have both in stock and the price is $75 complete for either one. I'd suggest you consider the 454 Casull stock as you're going to cover it with a leather boot. That way you can return your rifle to original condition but get the full benefit of a recoil pad.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Neoprene.

Have any dive shops nearby? They will have scraps of this stuff.

But I am pretty sure that there's somebody making a buttcuff that turns the cressent into a flat - but it does lengthen pull of course...

I have a curved buttplate like that on my Rossi 44 Mag and if I place it right - at the joint of the arm/shoulder, it doesn't bruise me. And I've got a pretty stout chest/upper arm... The loads are 310 grain cast boolits at 1600 fps - maximum loads. Same thing for my old 95 Winchester in 30-40 Krag.

Sometimes this is hard to do on the bench though...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion....something I hadn't considered.

OSOK,

Dive shop...... Potomac Highlands of West Virginia.... not many divers ...... but I'm sure there's neoprene around here somewhere!
Lobo in West Virginia
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:Just a suggestion. I gave Sports World (info@sportsworldtulsa.com) in Tulsa a call (918) 742-4027, and asked it they sold a buttstock and plate for a carbine (flat butt plate) and/or a buttstock for a 454 Casull carbine (recoil pad built in).
The Casull stock in and of itself will likely solve the problem, without any added 'cuff' or other stuff to clutter up the handy little carbine. The Casull stock on the factory Puma .454's has a nice think, cushy, recoil pad.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I asked the same question a week ago. Joe Miller gave me this lead. I just ordered and received one for my 92 .357 taurus. I havent shot the gun with it yet but it looks and feels good. I just ordered the secound one for my browning 92 in .44 mag and hope it gets here tomorrow. You definetly need the extra small. I tried some small slip on pachmyeres and another, they were too big. This one fits pretty good, but really could be a hair smaller too.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,848.html
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Recoil Pad? We don't need no stinking recoil pads. :lol:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I dont need a "recoil pad" either at over 6ft and three spins of the scale. However I do need a longer pull. My 92s have stocks like my daisy BB gun I had as a kid. I am after a cheap solution to give me at least another inch or so. My dad was about 6ft 5"s. He either had a pad or added a block of wood to every long gun he had. I also need a pad on every gun I have except for a 63 winchester, but you have to load that through the butt. Thats probley why I have only test fired it and it sits in the back of the safe.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I would also like a recoil pad for my 1892 in 44mat, both for shock absorption and because I want a slight longer length of pull (I am 6'2"). I have been looking for recoil pads that could fit on the curved end on my rear stock but I have not found any, and it seems you would have to cut away a lot of the stock otherwise to fit a recoil pad, and then it would not increase LOP.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

I'm feeling a bit testy today :mrgreen:
Lobo in West Virginia
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

rodeo kid wrote:Recoil Pad? We don't need no stinking recoil pads. :lol:
Agreed, and don't buy a .45-70.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Booger Bill wrote:I dont need a "recoil pad" either at over 6ft and three spins of the scale. However I do need a longer pull.
Yeah - people made fun of the thick "recoil pad" on my Ruger .22 levergun, but I just wanted a LONGER pull length; later I put it on the .44 Mag levergun for the same reason.

Would the 'John Masen' ones made for the Ruger 10/22, 96/22, 96/44 and Mini-14, fit the Puma's...?

(...I know, since I have one, I should go measure and check, rather than just post the question...maybe someone else already knows, though...)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

rodeo kid wrote:Recoil Pad? We don't need no stinking recoil pads. :lol:
I used to think that way too! I am a skinny guy so no meat on me but thought I was tough lol. I switched from .222 to a 6mm for gophers and after 50 rounds prone would leave me with a few small broken blood vesels under the skin. The big guns did not do that to me they just slide me along :D I put a rubber butt pad not a recoil pad on it and it went away. I worry more about Magnum Eye, as I switch guns often wile shooting and sometimes forget that I have a .300wby or a .375 in my hands and not my .222 or 6mm. Then I get bit by that scope dam that hurts.!
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Thought I would add another post I have the same rifle a 92 Rossi 45 Colt 16'' Yet every day I have off work it is cold!. Today it is snowing :so have not yet shot it in a T shirt I have some 300gr xtp bullets and lilgun loaded up ready to test and some 250gr Noslers with 24.5gr of 296 hotter load than I have been shooting.Oh well keeps me busy until fall when I get to bloody in the little gun.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Dive shop...... Potomac Highlands of West Virginia....

Lobo,

There is a dive shop on Rt 522 in VA, couple miles north of where Rt. 127 joins it. Most of the neoprene in dive suits is quite thin and would need to be laminated.

http://www.scubaventure.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's pics of the one I use on a Ruger (next to is it a Puma 92) - it looks really close...
Buttstocks-1.JPG
Buttstocks-2.JPG
I didn't take them off to test, but if this is of interest to you, PM me and I can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I think I am buying a new stock set from these guys:
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/P ... stock.html

It's only slightly curved and they where willing to grind it flat for me for free. Easy attaching of a thick recoil pad then.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

If you are not concerned with being able to return the rifle to its factory configuration (not sure the average Rossi will ever be a collector's item in our lifetime) just carry it to your nearest competent gunsmith. Cutting the butt and fitting a top quality aftermarket recoil pad is simple and he can adjust the pull to suit you at the same time. He should have the fixtures to do a good job and not harm the stock finish.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Like I said earlier, cutting the stock to make it flat would remove any possibility of my getting a longer length of pull because I do not think there exists a recoil pad that thick. Also the factory wood on this gun is bad so I want to replace it anyway.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here is my dads winchester 61. At 6ft 5"s and long armed, dad either put a block of wood, pad, or both on every gun he had. Dont look nice but was practable.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you don't mind the look, a slip on recoil pad over some folded up duck tape (to make a pad/spacer) to flatten out the curved plate would do the trick. You don't stick the tape to the gun, but to itself and for a spacer which will fill in the curved area so that the slip on pad will have a flat place to go against.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:That looks like it would fit the carbine's buttplate profile perfectly but might not fit the rifles's which has a more pronounced curve.
Yep - didn't realize he had that kind (of course if I'd read his first post, I might have... :oops: )