MOVIES - Tombstone

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

MOVIES - Tombstone

Post by Bridger »

Who all here has watched it? I know it is a few years old but I happened to come across the clip where he tells Ringo it "Looks like somebody dis walked over his grave" on youtube and instantly realized I need to see the movie.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: Tombstone

Post by Doc Hudson »

You definitely NEED to see the whole movie!!

The Outlaw Josey Wales is the only movie that springs to mind that has more memorable lines than Tombstone.

You will enjoy
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

funny, I just watched it last night, great movie, and as I understand, quite true to the facts.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have Tombstone and Outlaw Josey Whales on CD. So I've watched them both several times. I think Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday is one of the best ever done. Kurt Russel as Wyatt Earp is scary good. Once the movie got moving good he reminded me of p.o.'d pit bull with a taste of blood.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I'm your huckleberry.
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bearhands »

it's a fantastic movie..... don't miss it

"Open Range" is another one not to miss....... any Robert Duvall western is worth watchin'
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Doc Hudson wrote:You definitely NEED to see the whole movie!!
You will enjoy
+1,000,000

You must watch it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

One of my favorite lines of all time came from Tombstone, uttered by Wyatt (Russel) as he rousts a cheating gambler (Billy Bob Thornton, I believe):

"You gonna do something about it, or just stand there and bleed?"
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Good movie, it's in my video library.
UNITE
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:I think Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday is one of the best ever done.
Joe
+1 So far, the best acting he's ever done. Made it a classic!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

When that movie came out for about a year everybody at work kept calling me--=Johnny (Johnny Ringo) :lol: :roll:
They said I could have played his double. yeah,I would say ---(I wish) Michael Biehn is just too cool!

Fantastic Movie--------------Need to see it, love the part where those boys twirl their pistol/tin cup :o also the Tub dealing cards!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: MOVIES - Tombstone

Post by Gun Smith »

One of the cable channels did a story about the OK corral fight. They tried to be as accurate as possible. They determined that Doc Holiday probably fired the first shot (shotgun) after hearing pistols cocked. What was interesting to me was the fact that there were 8 men and at least two horses in a lot about 18' wide. The actual distance between the some combatents was three feet or less.
When I was a kid, I read Stuart Lake's book about Wyatt Earp. If I remember he interviewed Earp before his death. Current historians claim there are many inaccuracies in the book.
The same series has studied the deaths of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid and Baron Richthofen, The Red Baron. Neat series. They try to recreate the exact chain of events that happened using state of the art methods.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Doc Hudson wrote:The Outlaw Josey Wales is the only movie that springs to mind that has more memorable lines than Tombstone.
Your friends may get me in the rush but not before I turn your head into a canoe.

Ah, he's bluffin'!

No, he ain't bluffin'...

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"You're not as stupid as you look, Ike..."

"Where is he?"
"Down by the creek, walkin' on water!"

"You tell 'em I'M comin', and Hell's comin' with me, you hear!?! HELL's comin' with me!"
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Yes, great movie. Much better portrayal and less indulgent than Costly Kevin's--whom I don't mind (he has his place, and his understated role next to Duvall in Open Range perhaps his best).

Though a near-native Arizonan, have never been in Tombstone--despite several business visits--when they've done a shootout. I did see a re-enactment there on a local (Phoenix) station recently, as well as others at different locations, and it was said to be done very accurately. Yes, the setting redefines CQB! Not as "charming"--for the viewer--as the typical Hollywood stuff where they usually space things out, but said to be closer to what happened.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
J Miller wrote:I think Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday is one of the best ever done.
Joe
Better than anything he's done since...

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

FWiedner wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
Joe
Better than anything he's done since...

:)
You got that right FW :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Definitely one of, if not, the best western made in the modern era. Open Range and 3:10 to Yuma would run close seconds.

The old black and whites are still my favorites, though.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Tombstone is one of my favorite cowboy action movies. The wife and I just watched it again the other day. I kept saying the lines and she kept telling me I've seen it too many times.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is another great move.

Open Range is good, just not as good IMHO as the two above. Broken Trail is about the same as Open Range. They have some good spots in'em.
Old Law Dawg
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

And please, it's, "You gonna skin that smoke wagon or just stand there and bleed?"

My favorite movie line of all time. :D

Oly
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I agree that Tombstone was a good movie, but I just couldn't get past Val Kilmer's lousy rendition of a Georgia accent. He didn't spend enough time listening/watching Paula Deen.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I also LOVE "Tombstone" as the most true to life re-enactment of what happened in our SW Ameican history. Aside from the gunfight, the costumes were accurate, as well. But I question just what weapon Wyatt used. The owner of the Tombstone Epitath newspaper, John Clum, is said to have given Wyatt a S&W #3 American revolver in .44 caliber, which he may have used in the fight. As far as the Buntline Special gaven to him by author Ned Buntline, I read he had the barrel cut back to 8" from the original 12" it came with, which would've been way too impractical. jd45
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Watched it? I have memorized it.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

An outstanding movie! Definitely one of my favorites.

A short list of modern Westerns worth watching: (according to me... ;) )

Tombstone
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Unforgiven
Silverado
The Wild Bunch
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I'd like to add Geronimo: An American Legend to that list.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So many great lines, great movie. The stuntman they dragged in the bag, Mc Masters, was a patient in my office. He had a number of interesting stories. Director didn't think a dummy in the bag would be realistic enough. He particularly enjoyed Sam Elliot who he says is a great regular guy with the crew.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

olyinaz wrote:And please, it's, "You gonna skin that smoke wagon or just stand there and bleed?"

My favorite movie line of all time. :D

Oly
"...Are you gonna do somethin' or just stand there and bleed?"

The part about skinnin' the smokewagon comes in at a slightly different moment in that conversation...

Not that it will change prices at the grocery store... :)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Best western of all time in my book is "Good Ol' Boys". It just feels authentic. Like you're there watchin' him live his life. By and large, most feel like you're being told a story.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I love the movie and all the history. A week ago right now I and the Wife were in Tombstone.A big cold front was coming in with 45mph winds. there wasn't hardly anyone there and I had a ball just walkin the streets. We had lunch and some Drinks at the Crystal Palace.spent about 1 1/2 hrs in the Courthouse, most of the shops and did the tour of the Birdcage. :) .Boy they sure had enough Ladies workin there to keep all the Cowboys happy.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Tristan wrote:An outstanding movie! Definitely one of my favorites.

A short list of modern Westerns worth watching: (according to me... ;) )

Tombstone
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Unforgiven
Silverado
The Wild Bunch
One to add to the list is The Long Riders.
The Keech brothers and the Carradine brothers did a fine a job on the James and Youngers, and Ry Cooder's soundtrack is excellent.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

After hearing you guys, I now know I have no choice but to rent it. :mrgreen:
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
encore4me
Levergunner

Post by encore4me »

Bridger wrote:After hearing you guys, I now know I have no choice but to rent it. :mrgreen:
"Rent it" your gonna want to buy it! Another good one is Lonsome Dove, Duval at his best!

Matt
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Another of my "Most favorites" is Conagher, with Mr & Mrs Sam Elliott, Buck (and his late dad Dub) Taylor, and the late, great Ken Curtis.

A great ensemble cast, and a very believeable portrayal by everyone involved.
Regards

Buck

Shooter7

Post by Shooter7 »

I really enjoyed that movie. I especially liked Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday...stole the show in my opinion.
"You ever see anything like that?"
"Hell, I never even heard of anything like that!"

Outlaw Josey Wales is my number one favorite western. Oh, and anything with Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott and Robert Duvall.
Open Range
Quigley Down Under
The Sacketts

Heck I could go on forever.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Buck Elliott wrote:Another of my "Most favorites" is Conagher, with Mr & Mrs Sam Elliott, Buck (and his late dad Dub) Taylor, and the late, great Ken Curtis.

A great ensemble cast, and a very believeable portrayal by everyone involved.
+1 I have that on DVD love it. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Bridger wrote:After hearing you guys, I now know I have no choice but to rent it. :mrgreen:

Saw several copies at Sam walton's flagship store (Wal MArt) earlier tonight for a paltry 10 bucks i think (almost bought a copy myself -- as i am travelling and wanted something to watch tonight ) --- i bought the Kevin Costner version instead --- its pretty good, but a completely different style of movie-- much more long winded and detail oriented in some ways . Tombstone is better, but i've seen it so many times ............................

I dont know if Costner (who i like ) was trying to capitalize on Tombstone's success when he did this one, or if it was just a coincidence, ------- but 2 years later, just a few months after the huge success of Adam Sandler's golf epic "Happy Gilmore" -- here comes Costner again with "Tin Cup" -- also a very cool movie which i liked, but it seems as if in both occasions he was trying to ride the coat tails of both Tombstone and Happy Gilmore. (again -- not complaining, i liked "Wyatt Earp" and Tin Cup immensely )
----- Doug
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

funny nobody mentioned the actress who played Josephine, she is quite a beauty...

I'd like to see a picture of Savage posing with HER
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

El Chivo wrote:funny nobody mentioned the actress who played Josephine, she is quite a beauty...

I'd like to see a picture of Savage posing with HER
If you're talking about Dana Delany in Tombstone you're quite correct.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I'm for that - Dana Delaney.

But here is this week's raven haired beauty and a real sweetheart.

Last edited by Old Savage on Sat May 01, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Chas. If he did a real Georgia accent we might not understand him, that was probably the mid atlantic version. "Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bridger wrote:Who all here has watched it?
Meant to say this last time... but, the shorter list is probably, "Who HASN'T seen it?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am watching "the wild and innocent", a western made in 1959 by audie murphy, as I am writeing this. This is 14 years after world war two and Audie still looks like a kid! Unbeliveable! He must have been 6 years old when he joined up, by looking at him in this movie!
schauckis
Levergunner

Post by schauckis »

Tristan wrote:A short list of modern Westerns worth watching: (according to me... ;) )

Tombstone
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Unforgiven
Silverado
The Wild Bunch
A-MEN!!

I know Silverado by heart.
Unforgiven always gives me the chills; especially the end scene. As one movie critic put it: "Clint Eastwood teaches the young actors what tough guys are made of."

- Lars/Finland
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

"Jake fell of his horse?"

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

schauckis wrote:Unforgiven always gives me the chills
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

encore4me wrote:
"Rent it" your gonna want to buy it! Another good one is Lonsome Dove, Duval at his best!

Matt
+1,000

You snatched the words right off my fingertips Matr!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Must say I also enjoyed Pale Rider.
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

Tombstone and Pale Rider are my two favorites.

How many here know who played the part of the Faro dealer Johnny Tyler who was run off from the Oriental by Wyatt so he could take over the table?
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Billy Bob Thornton.

Tombstone and Unforgiven are 2 of my favorite westerns. I'm not big into them, but they got it "right".

Edit: Because of camera perspective things often have to spaced out a little more when filming. What looks "close" on a TV camera is often actually closer in real life, when I was still in the TV biz one day on the set for the evening news I made the comment to the director about the co-anchor and sports director "is she sitting in his lap?"

Because on-screen they were close, meaning in actuality, she practically WAS sitting in his lap.

A firefight on screen that took the actual size of the lot at Tombstone into account, shown on screen "correct" would in real life have the actors having a firefight inside a small closet. And you can't do that safely with blanks.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Nate,
It took me a number of viewings to figure out it was Billy Bob Thorton. I actually saw his name in the credits, then had to go back and watch again. Even when I saw him, it was kind of hard to believe it was him as he put on some extra weight for the role.