stainless steel saddle ring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gregch44
Levergunner

stainless steel saddle ring

Post by Gregch44 »

Hey guys, first post. I've got a custom takedown Marlin in ss, and I am looking desperately for a ss saddle ring and stud set for it. Anybody have any good ideas? Thanks
Last edited by Gregch44 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: stainless steel saddle ring

Post by kimwcook »

Can't answer your question, Greg, but I can welcome you to the forum. Welcome. Grab a cup and sit a spell.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kimwcook wrote:Can't answer your question, Greg, but I can welcome you to the forum. Welcome. Grab a cup and sit a spell.
+1 on all three counts!

We have several forum members with SS leverguns. One should be along shortly to help! :D
Gregch44
Levergunner

Post by Gregch44 »

Thanks for the welcome guys. I figured that I better post a pic before I get called on it. .45-70
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Welcome to the forum...!

If all else fails, I've seen stainless 'rings' at the local Ace Hardware, of the same size as most 'saddle rings', and I think they make the 'U' shaped cable clamps in stainless steel, and the smaller 1/4" cable sized ones could work; you'd have to shape/peen them as appropriate, of course.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with a source of a 'factory' one...

By the way, I think forum etiquette requires pictures of all your coolest guns before your seventh post or something like that... :wink: :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

kimwcook wrote:Can't answer your question, Greg, but I can welcome you to the forum. Welcome. Grab a cup and sit a spell.
all that, and a pic of a cute little carbine.
nice post. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Beautiful levergun! Posting a picture on your first post - way to start!!! :D
Gregch44
Levergunner

Post by Gregch44 »

AJMD429 wrote:Welcome to the forum...!

If all else fails, I've seen stainless 'rings' at the local Ace Hardware, of the same size as most 'saddle rings', and I think they make the 'U' shaped cable clamps in stainless steel, and the smaller 1/4" cable sized ones could work; you'd have to shape/peen them as appropriate, of course.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with a source of a 'factory' one...

By the way, I think forum etiquette requires pictures of all your coolest guns before your seventh post or something like that... :wink: :roll:
That might take up a bit of real estate. Here is the twin brother in .450 Marlin. they are my sawed off cannons. I couldn't make up my mind, so I had then both done at the same time.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice!! :mrgreen:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!!

Who did the take down work?

And where did that nifty bag come from?

I've been wanting to have my 94P / .44 mag done and I think you just pushed me over the edge. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Gregch44
Levergunner

Post by Gregch44 »

2ndovc wrote:Nice!!

I've been wanting to have my 94P / .44 mag done and I think you just pushed me over the edge. :D

jb 8)
Lee Hadaway did the work, he is in Trinity Colorado. thearmsroom.com. The case is custom made by a saddlemaker down there. These two are the first ones made. I wanted something different than the valise that he had shown on his websight. I pretty much told Lee what I wanted, and he and the saddlemaker came up with these babies. I couldn't be happier with them. I am having big loop levers, and scout scope set ups, from Wild West Guns installed on them now. I am 99% sure that the quick detach scopes will also fit into the case, along with the 20 round case of ammo that is also in there. This makes for one hell of a nice package when it is all packed up.
Gregch44
Levergunner

Post by Gregch44 »

Well I may go the route of having a saddle ring hard chrome plated at Metaloy. They think that it may be more silver than my blasted ss, but I can probably either live with it, or maybe be able to fo it somehow to match a bit better.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome, and FWIW, since your SS rifle has a black buttpad, IMHO a black (blued) saddle ring would look just fine, w/o any fuss.

Gregch44
Levergunner

Post by Gregch44 »

Pete44ru wrote:Welcome, and FWIW, since your SS rifle has a black buttpad, IMHO a black (blued) saddle ring would look just fine, w/o any fuss.

That is a thought. I'm sending off one tom. morning for hard chrome, and the other blued one is being installed right now on the ss one, so I will be able to see it both ways. One way or another these guys are going to be saddle ring carbines. I just love the look, and like to be a little different. I don't believe that Marlin ever put a saddle ring on an 1895, at least not a modern one.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Gregch44 wrote:

jb 8)
Lee Hadaway did the work, he is in Trinity Colorado. thearmsroom.com. The case is custom made by a saddlemaker down there. These two are the first ones made. I wanted something different than the valise that he had shown on his websight. I pretty much told Lee what I wanted, and he and the saddlemaker came up with these babies. I couldn't be happier with them. I am having big loop levers, and scout scope set ups, from Wild West Guns installed on them now. I am 99% sure that the quick detach scopes will also fit into the case, along with the 20 round case of ammo that is also in there. This makes for one hell of a nice package when it is all packed up.

Thank you for the info!!
Great stuff.
Going to start saving my pennies for the conversion.
I also like your takedown bag better than the one they offer.
excellent!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Your guns; your tastes, but I have to wonder why you'd want to clutter up a pefectly good, slick, handy levergun with a SLING ring, unless you were actually going to use it, as it was originally intended...?

BTW, the work looks to be top-notch, from what I can see, and I really like the soft case...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Gregch44
Levergunner

Post by Gregch44 »

What can I say, I just love the look of a saddle ring carbine. I have 7 Winchester SRCs. However I do appreciate your opinion, and thanks for the compliments.
Last edited by Gregch44 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregch44
Levergunner

Post by Gregch44 »

2ndovc wrote:
Gregch44 wrote:

jb 8)

Thank you for the info!!
Great stuff.
Going to start saving my pennies for the conversion.
I also like your takedown bag better than the one they offer.
excellent!!

jb 8)
Happy to share.