BLR in .223??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

BLR in .223??

Post by Rusty »

I was wondering if anyone here has one? I was looking on Browning's web site and they don't give the rate of twist. I'm wondering how they handle the heavier bullets?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: BLR in .223??

Post by Rusty »

BTT

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Rusty,

I have most of the details on the BLR calibers, but not the twist of the .223. However, I do have quite a bit of data available on other Browning rifles and it appears that 1-12 is their standard for the .223. They do make a target rifle that is 1-8, but I doubt that is used on the BLR.

Their current catalog has the twist rates for their rifle product line, but the .223 BLR got left out.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Bruce. I'm thinking whatever the twist it would be pretty nice. I'm just thinking that it would be nicer still if it would shoot the heavier bullets well.

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Rusty,

I don't know your intended use. I have read an article from American Rifleman (IIRC) about a BLR in .243 that had some very impressive groups from the lighter rounds. IIRC, somewhere around 3/4" for the light Hornady (55 gr.) and not too bad for those up to the area of 100 gr. If you are not sold on the .223, you may consider the .243 and it gives some very good options in bullet weight. Then there is the 30-06 ( :D ) which is my favorite BLR caliber. Can't get much more options than that one.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

According to the Browning site for the BLR, the .223 has a 1 in 12" twist.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I really like the CZ Manlicher .223 but the BLR might be handy as well. Thanks Blackhawk I didn't see that information there before. I'm thinking that would mean the BLR would be for the lighter weight stuff or do I have that backwards? I was thinking 1:9 was best for heavy weights?

I never have cared for the .243 for some reason it seems like it's a bit heavy on the case size for that little bullet. I think they call it "over bored?" I know a lot of people swear by them I'll have to get my mind around that one.

blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Back to the BLR...

The 1 in 12" twist will be just fine with bullets up to about 60 grains. 45 to 55gr bullets are where this barrel likes to play. The commonly seen 62gr "service" type loads could definitely be questionable. Anything heavier would most likely be a waste of bullet and powder.

There seem to be some changes from the BLR's of the early 1980's, like mine, other than the lightweight receiver. The new Lightweight lists magazine capacity as 4 rounds, while my mags all carry 5 rounds easily. My mags are also marked for .222/.223/5.56mm. (Mostly the .222's went to Europe while the .223's came here)

Another possible change is the caliber stamping and throating. My barrel is stamped .223 Rem/5.56mm while the current Browning site lists the caliber clearly as .223 Remington, with no mention of 5.56. To me, this would indicate that the barrel is not throated to accept the NATO round and is to be used with sporting ammo only.

At least for a while, others can have a handy pest and ranch rifle much like the one I've enjoyed for many years.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

What kind of groups are you getting with yours?

blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

With a cheap 3x9 (busted my big scope in a fall), I can stay inside an honest 1.25" with several factory 55gr loads. Handloads can do a bit better. What the hey...its not a heavy varminter.