Out of curiousity - what would you pay for this takedown 94?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Out of curiousity - what would you pay for this takedown 94?

Post by cubrock »

I went to an auction Saturday that had a couple of neat levers. One was advertised as a Winchester Model 55, but it turned out to be a late 20's takedown 94 with a Model 55 barrel installed. Wood was in good shape with some old notches cut in the forestock. Mirror, sharp bore. Had an old Marble's tang sight attached. Little blue left, but the metal wasn't pitted. Good, solid shooter grade gun.

Buyer's premium was 10%. I wanted the gun badly, but dropped out at the end and it went for $450 (plus the premium, means $495). Given the rebarrel job, it was a shooter plain and simple and I thought it was worth more than what it went for. However, I'm being very careful about spending money until business picks up. I probably would have gone to $600 if the money hadn't been an issue.

So, out of curiousity, what would you pay for such a gun? It looked good, like a gun that had been on a lot of hunts, but taken care of. The takendown was nifty and everything was tight. I've been regretting not bidding higher, but who knows how high the other guy would have gone.

Oh - same auction had a .30-40 1895 rifle that went for $550 plus premium. It had an old reblue over some light pitting with an excellent bore. Only reason I didn't go higher was because the cartridge lifter dragged on the bottom of the bolt when it was first opened. Probably an easy fix, but I didn't want to be in the gun for much just in case. I don't know enough about the 95 action to gamble on it.
.........THE TWINS..........

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That certainly was a more than reasonable price. That I'm aware, the 55 wasn't available in a TD (someone will likely come along and tell me I'm wrong). Were it not for the rebarrel, I believe that've fetched somewhere between $18-2200, possibly higher. I'll call my B-I-L and see if he still has the results of a "Little John's" auction this past fall where there were several 94 TDs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Griff wrote:That certainly was a more than reasonable price. That I'm aware, the 55 wasn't available in a TD (someone will likely come along and tell me I'm wrong). Were it not for the rebarrel, I believe that've fetched somewhere between $18-2200, possibly higher. I'll call my B-I-L and see if he still has the results of a "Little John's" auction this past fall where there were several 94 TDs.

I don't think the 55 was ever a take-down, either. What gave this gun away for me was the serial number - WAY too high for a 55. Then the pieces all came together. I sure wish I could have gotten it. It was a classy gun, even with the alterations.

Thanks for your opinion! I like hearing what others think re: things like this.

Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

In 1924 the Model 1894 rifle (not carbine) was discontinued and the 55 was introduced. Twenty four inch barrels, straight grips, half mags shotgun butts as well as the takedown feature was the standard configuration. Solid frames did not become standard until 1930. Guns until serial number 5000 were numbered in their own serial range. After sn 5000 they were serial numbered with 94 serial numbers. In my travels, I have encountered way more Takedown 55's than solid frames.

A Winchester Collector
irl104
Levergunner

Win. 55

Post by irl104 »

That would have been a good buy. A front half for a Model 55 went for more than that on Gun Broker within the last couple of months. Don't worry, I kick myself all the time, on the deals I've pasted up.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

3855 wrote:In 1924 the Model 1894 rifle (not carbine) was discontinued and the 55 was introduced. Twenty four inch barrels, straight grips, half mags shotgun butts as well as the takedown feature was the standard configuration. Solid frames did not become standard until 1930. Guns until serial number 5000 were numbered in their own serial range. After sn 5000 they were serial numbered with 94 serial numbers. In my travels, I have encountered way more Takedown 55's than solid frames.

Okay, I reread your post and am editing this one. :-)

The Blue Book does not say anything about the numbering being with 94s. That is what I was basing my assertion that it was a 94 on. The SN on this one was well into the 100,000 range, so you are saying it was likely really a 55 that was part of the range numbered with the 94s? It was straight grip, shotgun butt, and takedown. Darn it! I can't believe I missed it!

Well, at least I learned something! Thanks for the info! I hope the other guy really enjoys his rifle. He was probably smarter than me and knew what it was. :D

Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

This gun very likely was a legitimate Model 55. As mentioned before, after sn 5000, 55's were serial numbered with Model 1894 numbers. At that time Model 94 serials were way higher than 5000.

Additionally. some factory produced Model 55's can be seen with a 55 barrel and a 94 receiver or just the opposite, a 55 receiver and a 94 barrel. They were the same parts. It was just a transitioning of markings from one Model to the next. There was more than a few guns that left the factory mismatched in this way. It's very possible the gun you were looking was completely factory original. The 55 was one of the odd ones in the Winchester era. This is one of those Models where it really pays to be able to recognize what factory work looked like. I'm betting the gun you saw left the factory exactly how it remains today.

A Winchester Collector
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

3855 wrote:This gun very likely was a legitimate Model 55. As mentioned before, after sn 5000, 55's were serial numbered with Model 1894 numbers. At that time Model 94 serials were way higher than 5000.

Additionally. some factory produced Model 55's can be seen with a 55 barrel and a 94 receiver or just the opposite, a 55 receiver and a 94 barrel. They were the same parts. It was just a transitioning of markings from one Model to the next. There was more than a few guns that left the factory mismatched in this way. It's very possible the gun you were looking was completely factory original. The 55 was one of the odd ones in the Winchester era. This is one of those Models where it really pays to be able to recognize what factory work looked like. I'm betting the gun you saw left the factory exactly how it remains today.

One more thing - we took the tang sight off and it had no model markings on the tang - just the Winchester address.

So, assuming it was a 55 and given my description, what was it worth? The guy got it for $495.

irl104
Levergunner

Win 55

Post by irl104 »

Heres one on auction. Going rate in my area.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=8287546
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Trying to place a value on a Gun you have never seen is an impossible task.... but consider this. Any original, unaltered, Winchester takedown in descent condition will start between $600-1000. As condition rises, the price rises rapidly. Given this gun also had a tang sight worth minimum of $125, I would guess at a well attended auctiion the gun would have likely have gone for a thousand or more. Model 55's, being a continuation model, generally do not bring quite the money an equivalent 1894 will bring. Still, they are fine guns and are desirable collectables or shooters.

A Winchester Collector
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

3855 wrote:Trying to place a value on a Gun you have never seen is an impossible task.... but consider this. Any original, unaltered, Winchester takedown in descent condition will start between $600-1000. As condition rises, the price rises rapidly. Given this gun also had a tang sight worth minimum of $125, I would guess at a well attended auctiion the gun would have likely have gone for a thousand or more. Model 55's, being a continuation model, generally do not bring quite the money an equivalent 1894 will bring. Still, they are fine guns and are desirable collectables or shooters.

I know that was a tough question, but I was just curious. I won't make the same mistake next time. :D