Oh No! Tragic Condor Death in California

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Oh No! Tragic Condor Death in California

Post by otteray »

In the newspaper:
"Eagle attacks condor: A golden eagle attacked and probably killed the only known condor that has been hatched in the wild of Monterey County in 100 years, reports the Ventana Wildlife Society. The condor, fully grown at the time of the attack, fought off the eagle but hasn't been seen since."

One down, three hundred more to go :wink:
otteray
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Time to ban eagles!! :(
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

So let's push through legislation to allow hunting of eagles, to keep their numbers in check. Wait, they're endangered too! Maybe we should get the cougars to kill the eagles, then when the cougars start killing condors, we can hunt cougars again.

I wonder if the eagle is in any danger from eating lead-laden condor meat.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well! Looks like there is more evidence for Golden Eagles killing Condors that the 1-in-a-million chance that a Condor eats so many dead animals that just so happened to contain lead bullets, and then died of lead poisoning. I guess CA will have to ban Golden Eagles now. They seem to be a far worse threat to the Condor than the imagined belly full of used lead bullets.
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

Whats your point... do condors kill livestock or what, I hate the sierra club as much as the next guy, but lets preserve the teradyctal...
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Whats your point... do condors kill livestock or what, I hate the sierra club as much as the next guy, but lets preserve the teradyctal...
Condors genius ability to mistaken lead bullets from rotting meat has led to the california ''Copper Rule".
Break on through to the other side!!!
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Greg807 wrote:Whats your point... do condors kill livestock or what, I hate the sierra club as much as the next guy, but lets preserve the teradyctal...
My point is:

Many more condors have died from many other causes, yet lead is banned using faulty or skewed scientific studies, not because of any of the major causes of death.
http://www.fws.gov/hoppermountain/cacon ... story.html
Please note only one dead condor that died had bullet fragments in its stomach, thus not ruling out any other lead source for the other lead poisoning deaths.
otteray
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

Thanks for the heads up, thank god I'm a red state! Go IU!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

So it looks like the major causes of death are powerlines, golden eagels, and coyotes. Followed by lead and wild fires.

So now we just need to ban powerlines, golden eagles, coyotes, and wild fires. That makes sence right :?:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Greg807 wrote:Whats your point... do condors kill livestock or what, I hate the sierra club as much as the next guy, but lets preserve the teradyctal...
I'd be sad to see the Condor go. The problem is with how out of touch with reality the CA gov't is, banning lead bullets (based on no science or data that I've been able to find so far) in case a Condor eats enough used lead bullets to die of lead poisoning. If this has ever happened (and there's no evidence that it has ever happened that I'm aware of), the Golden Eagle must kill far more.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

WAIT, I think I have it..........

This must mean Eagles are made of lead? :shock:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Jeeps wrote:WAIT, I think I have it..........

This must mean Eagles are made of lead? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

JReed wrote:So it looks like the major causes of death are powerlines, golden eagels, and coyotes. Followed by lead and wild fires
There may have been condors killed by lead, but it wasn't from eating it.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

FALPhil wrote:There may have been condors killed by lead, but it wasn't from eating it.
Unless we are using the word 'eat' in a figurative sense. 8)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Interesting that a Golden has killed a Condor. I have seen both in the air at the same time, but never any aggression by the eagle. There are several resident eagles on the ranch as well as the occasional small group of Pinnacles condors, so I am actually surprised at this sudden clash. Neither bird competes with the other for food, so there is no for such an event other than a territorial conflict. Goldens will drive off any bird that is considered a threat to their space.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I think most of them swallowed it with the aid of muzzle velocity :wink:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good!

Semper Bye Bye
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm so confused... if they are both endangered, which one am I to root for???

I guess I'll do the guy thing - and root for the good-looking one!!! :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

2/3 rds of the species that ever existed are extinct. Apparently it is part of God's plan. Kind of like erasing the biological blackboard.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

whether the condor died from ingesting or 'injected by high speed' lead projectiles is secondary...remember...the will of the kaliphornia state legislature comes first; right or wrong. to say they're living in the 14th century is to give them credit.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I'm so confused... if they are both endangered, which one am I to root for???
:wink:
That's a tough one, kid, they both taste like spotted owl... :D
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

don Tomás wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:I'm so confused... if they are both endangered, which one am I to root for???
:wink:
That's a tough one, kid, they both taste like spotted owl... :D
Tom
Sounds tasty!!! :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Clearly, no one cares about the darn bird......It's somthing they grabbed onto for some backdoor gun control :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

KirkD wrote:
I'd be sad to see the Condor go.
Not me, I'm just glad there are no T rex's left or these morons would try to save them too. Like Jeff Goldbloom said, "dod you ever stop to think, maybe there's a reason they went extinct?"

In reality, the Condor is know to be more succeptable to polution and pesticides, than the turkey vulture. The TV is way more hardy, survival of the fittest. One of the reasons we no longer have saber aTooth tigers either. They could NOT adapt.

The Turkey Vulture does.