Update on Marlin 1894 Jam

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Update on Marlin 1894 Jam

Post by MrV »

The Chapman Screw Drivers finally came in and I went to work....well it was a little
un-nerving taking a rifle apart since I have never done it before. Got it apart and the jam cleared and put back together without any spare parts left over. Now for the acid test....taking it to the range and firing it :roll: Thanks to everyone for their in-put :!:
Need to ask another question.
What spare parts should I have in my kit for my 1894?
Angelo
IF YOU DON'T STAND FOR SOMETHING, YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Update on Marlin 1894 Jam

Post by J Miller »

Angelo,

Glad you got the jam cleared.

Here is a list of spare parts, I found it in the Marlin Resources page on the forum home page:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/Marli ... mation.htm
Marlin 1894 Spare Parts (nice to have on hand for "just in case")

If you are a serious Marlin levergun shooter and shoot your levergun more than a box or two a month you will find eventually that some parts will wear or break. It is always nice to have a few spare parts on hand.

Description Marlin part number Brownell's part number
Extractor with spring 514569 550-000-527
Ejector with spring 501168 550-501-168
Carrier assembly 514561 550-514-561
Front sight 414144 550-000-363
Rear sight complete 414242 550-000-364
Firing pin front 414299 440-414-299
Firing pin spring 401295 550-401-245
I've not bought any yet as my Marlin has shown no tendency to break anything. But I do intend to.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MrV wrote:Got it apart and the jam cleared and put back together without any spare parts left over.
THAT is 90% of the accomplishment,whenever I try to fix something... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

Joe, thanks for the web page for parts to have on hand.
Went to the range last night and fired it for the first time. NO JAMS :!: But the action could be a little smoother & the trigger might need a little tweeking. All in all it's GREAT :!: I think the next purchase with be a lever chambered in .22, I have a 12 year old grandson who enjoys shooting my Marlin Glennfield I know he will be off the hook with the lever action :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Angelo,

Put about 500 live rounds through that rifle and you'll be surprised at how it smooths up.

As far as a .22 lever gun goes I'm admittedly prejudiced. I prefer the Winchester 94-22 or the older pre-safety, pre-rebounding hammer Marlin 39As.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Count another vote for the 9422...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

J Miller wrote:Angelo,

Put about 500 live rounds through that rifle and you'll be surprised at how it smooths up.

As far as a .22 lever gun goes I'm admittedly prejudiced. I prefer the Winchester 94-22 or the older pre-safety, pre-rebounding hammer Marlin 39As.

Joe
Joe.....Buck,
Thanks for the input on the Winchester, I have a gun-smith here who is all over Shot guns and Lever Action Rifles, he feels guns made today can't stand up to guns made years ago. I will ask him to keep his eyes open for the Winchester.
This fourm is really great along with down to earth folks! Thanks :!:
Angelo
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I am glad you cleared that jam up too.

Just remember... vigor, stroke the lever with vigor.

I'd suspect most "poor" lever action's jamb ups come from folks who dont operate the lever with vigor.

(I was really trying to get some point across about "vigor" here)

Good luck
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Take a gander at this:
http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

His Marlin articles will show ya how to slick up that 1894 so ya can operate it with one finger.

I got one here that I can stand upright on a scale, loosely trap the barrel between fingers forming an "O" (so I ain't cheating by holding onto it) and lever it with the other hand, deflecting the scale by only a little over TWO POUNDS.

After many thousand rounds through mine, I'd say the only spare parrt I would always have on hand is an ejector. Most anything else in a WELL TUNED Marlin will go 50,000 rounds with no issues.
Certified gun nut
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

Hillbilly wrote:I am glad you cleared that jam up too.

Just remember... vigor, stroke the lever with vigor.

I'd suspect most "poor" lever action's jamb ups come from folks who dont operate the lever with vigor.

(I was really trying to get some point across about "vigor" here)

Good luck
Hillbilly......LOL, thanks "Vigor'. After that jam I will never forget "vigor" ever :!:
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Mrv,

Did you do any of the preventative measures found here?

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html

Every Marlin 1894c (three in total) all had jamming problems. None were user error or loose screws in any shape or form. They were all caused by the lever cam cutting into the lifter a tiny bit.

Every time I performed the mods found on Marauder's website, the jams disappeared 100%.

That included putting a radius on the cam and modifying the lifter or installing a new one.

So, if you'd like to keep the jam from rearing its head again, that simple procedure will save you the hassle of having to order a new one.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Glad it got worked out for you. I gotta add though that you shouldn't need "vigor" if its operating right. If everything is fine slow or fast shouldn't matter, matter of fact slamming things vigorously in a poorly tuned gun probably helps create the wear that causes the jam more than anything else. The key is getting it to run smoothly, in todays mas production slap em together & move em out world they dont always come that way from the factory.

I'd go with an older Marlin 39A or 39M if I were looking for a lever rimfire, but I'm not unbiased. :mrgreen:
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

meanc wrote:Mrv,

Did you do any of the preventative measures found here?

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html

Every Marlin 1894c (three in total) all had jamming problems. None were user error or loose screws in any shape or form. They were all caused by the lever cam cutting into the lifter a tiny bit.

Every time I performed the mods found on Marauder's website, the jams disappeared 100%.

That included putting a radius on the cam and modifying the lifter or installing a new one.

So, if you'd like to keep the jam from rearing its head again, that simple procedure will save you the hassle of having to order a new one.
Meanc,
Read the procedure......not sure if I feel confident enough to attempt it at this moment. If the jam continues I will either make the attempt to fix it or take it to my gunsmith. Thanks for the link :!:
Angelo
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

As an alternative to "vigor", work that lever with definitive authority. :D
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

adirondakjack wrote:Take a gander at this:
http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

His Marlin articles will show ya how to slick up that 1894 so ya can operate it with one finger.

I got one here that I can stand upright on a scale, loosely trap the barrel between fingers forming an "O" (so I ain't cheating by holding onto it) and lever it with the other hand, deflecting the scale by only a little over TWO POUNDS.

After many thousand rounds through mine, I'd say the only spare parrt I would always have on hand is an ejector. Most anything else in a WELL TUNED Marlin will go 50,000 rounds with no issues.
adirondakjack,
Thanks for the link, a lot of great info!!
Angelo
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Leverdude wrote: I'd go with an older Marlin 39A or 39M if I were looking for a lever rimfire, but I'm not unbiased. :mrgreen:
+1 I've got 39A, Bl22 and 9422 and prefer the 39A by far :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................