Aperture for Lyman tang sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
greenacres
Levergunner

Aperture for Lyman tang sight

Post by greenacres »

I have a Winchester model 1892 rifle with a Lyman No. 2 tang sight installed. The sight has a ½" screw in aperture with a hole that measures .056. Is there anyplace I can buy an aperture for this sight with a smaller hole in it?
“You see in this world there’s two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.” ~ Blondie - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Aperture for Lyman tang sight

Post by kimwcook »

You might give this guy or sight a look. www.aperturesnmore.com

Or you might try Lyman themselves. www.lymanproducts.com
Old Law Dawg
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

If this is a vintage Lyman, old syle, tang sight and not the new production Lyman then www.Aperturesnmore.com. Joe makes outstanding repros.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Joe does great work and is a fine guy - also a good choice for custom-machined screws.
greenacres
Levergunner

Post by greenacres »

If this is a vintage Lyman, old syle, tang sight and not the new production Lyman
How do I tell if it is the old style or the new style?

I also have a couple other quesitons about it.
This is the first time I have owned a rifle with a tang sight and don't know much about them, but I think it may be damaged because:
It is pointing a little to right and not lined up with the barrel. I'd say it was off by about 15 degrees.
There is a lot of play in it. I can hold onto the aperture and wiggle it around side to side a lot.
“You see in this world there’s two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.” ~ Blondie - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.