Fun at the gun show

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Moonlitin
Levergunner

Fun at the gun show

Post by Moonlitin »

Last year a good friend of mine gave my son a Winchester 1873 in .44-40. My son was thrilled, and my friend was happy to see him that excited to have it. In the fall of that year he killed his first deer with it. Some of you may remember my post and the picture at the previous leverguns forum. I'm still not sure who was happier about that...my son or my friend.

My son found a replica Winchester 1873 SRC at the gun show this weekend and convinced me to buy it for $50 so he could hang it on the wall in his room. We have younger kids in the house, so a "real" firearm out on display is a no-no. The replica is made out of wood and steel, the lever, hammer, and trigger actually work just like the real one. Even the loading gate works. There's a small extractor on the fake bolt that makes me wonder if it originally came with fake bullets that actually cycled through the rifle.

The fun began after we bought it and he carried it around the rest of the day at the show. I let him walk a few steps in front of me and I had a blast watching people look at him and what he was carrying. Many people stopped us to ask if we would be willing to sell it, or how much we wanted for it. I thought about telling them I found it in Gramp's closet and asking how much they'd give me for it, but then I decided someone else may not find that funny.

Here's a picture of the phony 1873:

Here's a picture of the real one:

Last edited by Moonlitin on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's RICH! 8) :lol: :P Blah, to those that coudn't take the joke. Besides, all you had to do was keep saying, "NO" to all offers! It does look real.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It sure looks real in the picture. Would have been fun to see what kind of offers you would have got.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The picture IS the REAL one.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I wish You would re-post the original pictures and story,it is a timeless example of how a Gift through Friendship can change several peoples Lives. Many of the new Levergunners have never seen the original post.It was terrific.Jim.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Man, you have a good circle of friends! Guess I need to quit hanging out with the riff raff. Sounds like yourself and your son are going to be bit hard by the LA bug.
Moonlitin
Levergunner

First deer with a Winchester 1873 Saddle Ring Carbine

Post by Moonlitin »

.45colt wrote:I wish You would re-post the original pictures and story,it is a timeless example of how a Gift through Friendship can change several peoples Lives. Many of the new Levergunners have never seen the original post.It was terrific.Jim.
Here is the original story...

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=2721

Moonlitin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Good 50 bucks. 1886.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd have to say no it's not for sale, I'm lookin for one of those lazer sights for it.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

RUSTY, that is rich!!!!!!!!! :D Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

Or a synthetic stock!