What is this winchester 53 worth?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

What is this winchester 53 worth?

Post by Booger Bill »

I saw this gun on another site. The guy says the bore is shot out. He asked me whats it worth? I did make a offer as I would be interested in converting it to .357 mag or .256 win mag. It is in .32/20. What say you?
By the way, I understand it already has been refinished once. If I were to get it, who would do the conversion and/or refinishing if I was to go the whole route? So. Whats it worth as is, whats it cost to rechamber and rifle, bush the fireing pin and fit, how much to refinish if I go that far, and what would the rifle be worth when done? I know you couldnt get a fraction back if resold!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/a ... rifle2.jpg
Last edited by Booger Bill on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is this winchester 53 worth?

Post by rjohns94 »

that would make a real nice .357 :mrgreen:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

+2 on the .357 mag. It would be real handy.

As an aside what's he figure a shot out M53 is worth?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hmm, looks good.

I'd get the barrel re-lined and leave it as the barrel is marked - 32 WCF
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I told the guy to me I would pay $400s. It has been refinished and bad bore. I also said I am sure it would go for more on auction than my $400 offer. I would have it rebuilt, would end up costing me a lot and I know I wouldnt began to get that money out of it. What do you think it really is worth as is?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Jac - FWIW, It would take me less than a half-hour to sell that rifle for $1K.

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

That looks like Mike Hunter project potential to me. Reline, refinish and have yourself a very nice old rifle that is incredibly fun! Ask yourself this? What can you buy a NIB Old stock Browning 83 in, and then put the added money into the restoration.

Ed
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't believe that barrel can be relined--too thin. I might be wrong on that, but my guy will not reline src's or lightweight barrels

Everybody has their own description on what is "shot out". You would be surprised what a "shot out " barrel will do will a gas checked cast bullet sized large.

As for value, it depends on whether it was buffed or not. If it was just a hot dip blue, no buffing, good original wood, sharp lettering, so-so bore, no extra holes---------$750 any day of the week. Its a GFO item--which means "Go Find One"-------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have a very difficult time believing the bore is 'shot out'. The first Model 53 was made in 1924. This was not a black powder gun, and I doubt there were many mercuric primers used in it. I wonder if it isn't just leaded up. The wood looks original, which is a big plus. I think Sixgun's estimate is a good one. I just do not believe the bore is shot out.

By the way, I'm keeping a database on surviving Winchester Model 53's. I would be very grateful if you could pm me with the serial number.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thanks. It looks like I can quit stressing about it. As usual, other guys quickly posted it could be worth thousands of dollars. Of course, they werent offering to buy it for that either!