OT - Masonic mysteries

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

OT - Masonic mysteries

Post by ScottT »

Boys,

I read a tremendous amount of BS about Freemasony and the vast majority of what I see on the net, and surprisingly on the History Channel, has some basis in fact, but then it goes off on a wild tangent.

There is nothing in Masonry that is sinister or that requires deviation from one's personal religious beliefs, with the following proviso.

The one requirement is that you must believe in God, one God. We have Jews in my Lodge and we have one Muslim. But athiests and agnostics need not apply.

Some Masons have failed. All men fail or we would not need the Grace given us in Jesus Christ. For every failed Mason, you can find those who are not Masons who fail just as badly. For every good Mason, you can find men who are good men who are not part of the Craft.

If we are fixing to take over the world, well, I missed that meeting and it seems like (if you listen to the rumors) they have been working at it a long time without success!

Masons are not hurting you in any way, they don't even consider you other than considering mankind in general. There really isn't anything to be afraid of.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

Seems to me we had a big thread or two on Masons a year or so ago over on the other forum. In that thread we ended up with a big list of notables who were Masons. The only member of that list I remember is Elmer Keith.

In my life I have seen people with different mind sets, and watching and listening to them, makes me think it breaks down to several groups.

>Those who "belong" to a group or groups.
>Those who don't "belong" to a group or groups and are intimidated by those who do and resent and distrust them.
>Those who don't "belong" to a group or groups and feel left out, but either don't try to join, or don't know how and end up resenting those who do.
>Those who don't "belong" to a group or groups and couldn't care less about the groups or those who belong.

Might be a bit over simplified, but that's what I've seen.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Then men in my family have been Mason back to before the Revolutionary War. I became a Master Mason in 1964 and was very active in my Lodge for a number of years. I droped out, but it had nothing to do with the stuff you read and hear about Masons.

The Masons are as benign as the Rotary , Kiwanis or Lions clubs and I have been members of all three of these.

The Masons are not a religion and I do know the difference and they darn shure are not Satanic.

There is not nor have ever been any of these BS Masonic plots as envisioned by those who write books, movies and TV scripts.

As for being a "secret" society, there are very few secrets. The vast majority of the ritual are contained in a book called a "Monitor" and are available for purchase.

The only true secrets and the grips and pass words that one Mason can use identify another Mason. There is also a Masonic distress sign, called the Grand Hailing Sign that a Mason can give that others Masons recognize he is in trouble and can come to his air.

Shoot, when I was in the Order of the Arrow in Boy Scouts, there were secret words and signs.

I have known some Masons who were worthless, but the vast, vast, majority of them are salt of the earth people. They are salt of the earth people, because Masons are selective about who they allow to join.

Although a "former" Mason, I have no bone to pick with them. I hold them in great respect.

If they were some sort of dangerous "cabal" I would know it and would be the first to scream bloody murder and drop them in the grease. Most other Masons would do the same things.

At one point in history, most of the leaders on the local, state and national levels were Masons. That is simply because the type of men that became Masons also had the spirit and ability to become leaders of the nation.

It was simply a matter of the cream rising to the top. Masons took the cream and the cream became leaders. Masons do not want riff raft and ner-do-wells in their group.

All sort of people were quick to attribute all sorts of nonsense to the Masons, because they were jealous. None of it was true, but the BS has persisted down to the present time, as proved by some of the extreme ignorance about Masonry displayed on this and other board. There is something about human nature, that want to "dis" a group they don't belong to.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Uncle and Grandfather were Masons.......Two finer Gentlemen could not ever be found.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe,
There is also a fifth group in which I belong. I belong to "groups" but I really don't care about other "groups" as long as they don't mess with my "groups".

I personally think this OT subject is in outer space somewhere. Does anyone want to hear about my involvement with the Black Panther Movement?

Last time I checked, this site is Leverguns with an OT towards hunting, reloading, bullet casting, political issues, (which affect us all) or family.

I bet there are some Klan members here but they keep it to themselves or certainly don't try to tell everyone how their membership qualities are the greatest and "purest". I've lived long enough to know this world is full of imposters, bs'ers, and back stabbers---and they come from ALL groups.-----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You mean they werent in on the conspiricy with the CIA to assasignate Kennedy? :P
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

years ago i was dead set against the masons for what i really don't know. as i grew as a pastor i realized that for everything i was mad at the masons for the church was guilty of the same things just with different names. i found that as i tried to correct the problems in my church i didn't have the time or energy to devote fighting masons.

to be honest there are some things that concern me about masons. do i let it keep me from fellowshipping with Christian masons? no. i have resolved that my task is not to battle every spurious group whether it be good or evil. my task is to help men and women draw closer to God. I can accomplish that. my grand father who was a former mason never really renounced the masons and kept the vow of secrecy till his death made this comment. 'as i drew closer to God, my time was consumed with helping others know him. i found i didn't have time for lodge meetings any more.' he never spoke against masons he only said that in life you make a choice as to who and where you serve. some can handle several but he could only manage one. so he decided to give it all to Jesus and the church.

i adopted his view. i have known some great masons and consider them brothers in Christ. i believe that the Holy Spirit is greater than any delusion and will safely lead His children. For those Christians in masonry if the Lord give you peace to be a mason enjoy and serve with integrity. for those who the Lord lead away from masonry serve with integrity where the Lord leads you.
Last edited by Scott Young on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Dad and Grandfather are/ were Masons. When I asked my dad about it he believed that though a great organization that it was not for me. He knew I'm not a religous guy and that it would be an uncomfortable setting for me and I was most likely was wanting to join just because they were members.

As far as dangerous societies I can garantee that my college fraternity was a way more dangerous group! :twisted:

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Scott,

Your words ring true. I was raised in the early eighties. I tend to not get involved in discussions on this subject as most would not understand unless they became involved. I passed on the earlier post as there was nothing for me to say.
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

Sixgun wrote:Joe,
There is also a fifth group in which I belong. I belong to "groups" but I really don't care about other "groups" as long as they don't mess with my "groups".

I personally think this OT subject is in outer space somewhere. Does anyone want to hear about my involvement with the Black Panther Movement?

Last time I checked, this site is Leverguns with an OT towards hunting, reloading, bullet casting, political issues, (which affect us all) or family.

I bet there are some Klan members here but they keep it to themselves or certainly don't try to tell everyone how their membership qualities are the greatest and "purest". I've lived long enough to know this world is full of imposters, bs'ers, and back stabbers---and they come from ALL groups.-----------Sixgun
Actually Sixgun, I would like to hear about your involvement in the Black Panther movement. I find that when you get your information from a man that was in it so to speak you get the real story. I will understand if you don't want to relive that period in your life.

As for there being bad apples in every bunch you are quite correct. And as the Lady who was my mother more than my mother was said, "You don't throw the baby out with the bath water".
ImageImageImage
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

The Masonic movement takes good men and makes them better. I love the part when the history channel says Rarely seen and hidden while showing the installation ceremony. Here in Illinois, we invite all family and friends to our installation ceremonies?
Twice past master and life member of A.F. & A.M. #294.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Tradition says one of my ancestors was the founder of Scottish Rite Freemasonry, Sir Francis Bacon, adopted son of Elizabeth Tudor and Regent of England for a time. Having been a member of a related fraternal order that used Masonic Temples for meetings, all I can offer is that without the Freemasons there would be no United States of America. Nicolas Bacon, Francis' brother was instrumental in the founding of Virginia Colony, so one could imagine there is more to it than meets the eye (no pun intended). But then I'm not on the level. And it is secret!
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

S.B. wrote:The Masonic movement takes good men and makes them better. I love the part when the history channel says Rarely seen and hidden while showing the installation ceremony. Here in Illinois, we invite all family and friends to our installation ceremonies?
Twice past master and life member of A.F. & A.M. #294.
I'm glad you said that. The History Channel program had some good information in it, but it was interspearsed with so much speculation and the voiceover was designed like something you might find in a Holloween special.

Scary stuff!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ever seen "Peggy Sue got married?"

My mental picture of Masons.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Aren't they the guys that wear the funny hats and ride the tiny motorcycles in the 4th of July parade? I love those guys! :lol: :lol: :lol:
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Nope, That's the Shriners.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Crawdaddyjimbobillybob, for you and your buddies who think they are somethin' special and above the rest, here's .50, call somebody who gives a *%#@.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Let's lighten up a little here on the Masons, my gosh. Any wholesome discipline improves people. Except for some antiquated oaths, which we don't know are true they seem like the Elks etc. in modern existence. The fellows I know are upright upstanding citizens and aren't for anything nefarious that I have seen in my adult life. Most groups look at themselves as special in some way.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Shriners are Masons. And yup, driving the tiny cars and wearing funny hats is one of the "funner" things they do. Some of the more serious activities include the Hospitals, Clinics, and sponsoring medical research for Alzheimers.

There are several Masonic organizations. The Shrine, Scottish and York Rites, and Eastern Star are some of them.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Sixgun wrote:Crawdaddyjimbobillybob, for you and your buddies who think they are somethin' special and above the rest, here's .50, call somebody who gives a *%#@.

Does it really cost four bits to call someone these days?

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

I'm still trying to understand why you guys are discussing religion and groups or society's on a gun site! Why not just drop it and get back to friendly chat about guns, ammo and reloading. :? Mike
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

I was talking to a old boy awile back in a gun shope and he was going on and on about this place http://www.aasr-indy.org/ I could tell he was very proud member of freemasonry.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

To Paco and the Mods.

Post by MikeS. »

I'm sorry I restarted this fecal matter fire storm.

I knew there were probably a couple other Masons and a couple opposed to them. I sure didn't mean to cause such hate and discontent amongst the normally placid waters on this my favorite gun board.

MikeS.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If men can't discuss opinions or differences in an open forum and walk away without hard feelings they need to spend their time somewhere else.

Maybe some women's site.

Men talk, bluster some about their favorite opinion, and then go on. Maybe firmer in their former opinion, maybe better educated.

No good reason not to have your say, just because somebody gets testy.

JMO

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
ScottT
Shootist

Re: To Paco and the Mods.

Post by ScottT »

MikeS. wrote:I'm sorry I restarted this fecal matter fire storm.

I knew there were probably a couple other Masons and a couple opposed to them. I sure didn't mean to cause such hate and discontent amongst the normally placid waters on this my favorite gun board.

MikeS.
You did nothing wrong Mike.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: To Paco and the Mods.

Post by Tycer »

MikeS. wrote:I'm sorry I restarted this fecal matter fire storm.

MikeS.
Don't be sorry Mike. If Scott64a had not posted his links I would have missed some good reading. Thank you!

And there are more than a couple of Masons here. I know of at least a dozen.

It was nice watching the way the Freemasons handled themselves.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

yeah, MikeS, don't feel bad about sharing something you are into here.

I have rescinded my misconceptions about freemasonry and will speak no more harsh words towards you or your brothers. I feel awful for letting my mouth go off here and causing you to feel like you shouldn't feel free to share.

I'm sorry, and I hope you forgive me.
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Mike-in-WV wrote:I'm still trying to understand why you guys are discussing religion and groups or society's on a gun site! Why not just drop it and get back to friendly chat about guns, ammo and reloading. :? Mike
Because the ownership of firearms is also about fellowship, and these forums become the old potbellied stove of yesteryear's gunsmith's store. We are brought together by our interest in lever rifles, which in itself connotes an interest in history, and find ourselves discussing topics that follow the flow of conversation. The very foundation of our Constitution is about religious liberty, and the means to defend it. So, we prattle on, good fellows all.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Scott64A wrote:yeah, MikeS, don't feel bad about sharing something you are into here.

I have rescinded my misconceptions about freemasonry and will speak no more harsh words towards you or your brothers. I feel awful for letting my mouth go off here and causing you to feel like you shouldn't feel free to share.
I'm sorry, and I hope you forgive me.
Scott, I don't like stirring up hate and discontent. I know that some people have strong anti-masonic feeling and beliefs. Unfortunately these 2 topics went South pretty darn fast.

You have no need to ask forgiveness from me. You stated your heart felt belief and are free to do so in this country. I'd defend you to death for that right. Even though we disagree.

My apology was to Paco and the Mods for starting this fecal fest.

Like some of us said in the 60's Peace ya'all!
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i am glad to see this happen on leverguns. several months ago matters such as this would have gotten personal and ugly. this discussion has maintained an air of civility about it and though disagreements have been presented it has been discussed like gentlemen.

maybe it is a new day for us.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Scott Young wrote:i am glad to see this happen on leverguns. several months ago matters such as this would have gotten personal and ugly. this discussion has maintained an air of civility about it and though disagreements have been presented it has been discussed like gentlemen.

maybe it is a new day for us.
+1
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

My grandfather was a mason (He passed away in 1982). He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Marine Corps League (Marine of the year, 1976). I never knew of his membership in anything but the M.C.L. until after his death.

How exactly does one join the masons ? Do you have to be asked, or is there a process for applying ? And does one have to have a particular occupation ?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

CaptainFinn wrote:My grandfather was a mason (He passed away in 1982). He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Marine Corps League (Marine of the year, 1976). I never knew of his membership in anything but the M.C.L. until after his death.

How exactly does one join the masons ? Do you have to be asked, or is there a process for applying ? And does one have to have a particular occupation ?
Ask a Mason.

Not being trite or sarcastic.

:wink:

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My GGGrandfather was:
past recorder of United States Premier Conclave No. 1 of Red Cross of Constatine
Past Master McCandless Lodge F. and A. M.
past high priest of Zerubabble chapter R. A. M.
member Gorgas Consistory Scottish Rite Masons 32nd Degree

I've got a couple more Masons in the line and I challenge anyone who thinks that any of these men ever did or supported anything satanic, diabolical or anti-US.

Ignorance is indeed the single most expensive thing we have here
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

CaptainFinn wrote:My grandfather was a mason (He passed away in 1982). He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Marine Corps League (Marine of the year, 1976). I never knew of his membership in anything but the M.C.L. until after his death.

2B1ask1, go to your local lodge of Masons and ask, or contact a Mason your familiar with and ask him to get you a petition. Hope this helps?