1886 converted to 450 Alaskan

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

1886 converted to 450 Alaskan

Post by Ram Hammer »

I ran across an 1886 converted to 450 Alaskan in a pawn shop today. It had a 3/4 octagon barrel about 20 to 22 inches long and a Redfield peep sight on the receiver. I didn't think to look at the serial number to date the rifle but it was an original Winchester barrel converted to 450. The finish was a new re-blue over some significant pitting on the receiver and barrel. The proprietor of the pawn shop said the previous owner told him that this rifle was one of 50 conversions made. The gunsmith that did the conversion didn't put his name on it that I could find. He had a price of $5,000 on the rifle and showed me a page copied out of Blue Book justifying the price. The page had circled 45-90 chambering. I tried to point out to him this was not a factory rifle but he didn't want to know the truth.

What are the 450 Alaskan conversions worth?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I guess they are worth whatever they will bring. $5,000 seems a little high to me, but who knows. I gave around $1,400 for a Winchester model 71 which was converted to 450 Alaskan back in the late fiftys or early sixtys. I will try to post a picture of it.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Something interesting.

What cost $1400 in 1960 would cost $9353.43 in 2006.
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Salvo, I guess I didn't say it right. I paid $1,400 for it, but that was only a few months ago, but the work was done in the late fiftys or eairly 60's.

Here is a picture if it goes.[imImageg][/img]
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Lets see, barrel chopped, reblue over pitting. .450 AK caliber, not worth much in my book. Maybe $1200, or so, but no more. Even a .45-90 in that condition wouldn't EVER bring the ridiculous 5K the dummy is requesting.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Lastmohecken wrote:I guess they are worth whatever they will bring. $5,000 seems a little high to me, but who knows. I gave around $1,400 for a Winchester model 71 which was converted to 450 Alaskan back in the late fiftys or early sixtys. I will try to post a picture of it.
Lastmohecken,

I think you made a great buy for 1400. I'd like to play with that one myself!

Don McCullough
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

sold a buddy my model 71 in 450 alaskan, it had a heavy weight shilen match grade barrel; the gun was made up by john traister and used for an article in Rifle mag; i paid him $750.00, and it had the factory original bolt peep sight....that was about 1992, and sold it to my besty friend a couple years later for the same price. he still has it; most accurate one i have ever seen!
cable
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I think that pawnshop owner is on some serious medication. :roll:

-Tutt
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Well, I hope he gets it.