Reloading: any experience with the Hornady 170gr. FP?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Reloading: any experience with the Hornady 170gr. FP?

Post by Tristan »

Anyone have any experience with the Hornady 170 gr. FP projo for the 30-30? I've heard they have a reputation for using harder lead cores, wondering if this is true and if it affects the terminal performace.

Good stuff?

Thanks for your feedback.

- Tristan
Hobie

Re: Reloading: any experience with the Hornady 170gr. FP?

Post by Hobie »

That isn't my experience. But, the bullets have a bigger meplat than others so if they do it balances out. I load all the major cup and core 170 gr. interchangeably in my .30-30s and see no real/practical difference in use.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE THIRTY CALIBER 170gr BULLETS FOR THE 30WCF CARTRIDGE WERE PERFECTED WELL OVER EIGHT DECADES AGO AND THERE IS NOT A NICKLES DIFFERENCE IN ANY OF 'EM. DO YOU KNOW WHY??
BECAUSE THEY ALL HAVE TO WORK AT THE SAME VELOCITY.
PERHAPS THE BEST ITERATION OF THIS 30WCF 170gr BULLET IN THE MODERN TIMES IS THE SPEER 170gr VERSION AS IT SHOOTS FLATTER THAN ALL OF 'EM, NOTHING ELSE REALLY BEING IN IT'S LEAGUE. AND YET, IT AIN'T NUTTING MORE THAN A SLIGHTLY SLEEKER VERSION OF THE OLD STYLES FROM SILVERTIP ONWARD.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Have taken deer, bear and elk with Hdy 170 in 30-30 Ive used 4895,3031 and AA5744 to push them. Recently I picked up some RL15 and a box of Hdy 180 gr RN will play with them to see how they perform in the 30-30. danny
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

OK, thanks for the feedback.

Terry, I appreciate that tip on the Speer.

Regards,

Tristan
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Terry Murbach wrote:THE THIRTY CALIBER 170gr BULLETS FOR THE 30WCF CARTRIDGE WERE PERFECTED WELL OVER EIGHT DECADES AGO AND THERE IS NOT A NICKLES DIFFERENCE IN ANY OF 'EM. DO YOU KNOW WHY??
BECAUSE THEY ALL HAVE TO WORK AT THE SAME VELOCITY.
PERHAPS THE BEST ITERATION OF THIS 30WCF 170gr BULLET IN THE MODERN TIMES IS THE SPEER 170gr VERSION AS IT SHOOTS FLATTER THAN ALL OF 'EM, NOTHING ELSE REALLY BEING IN IT'S LEAGUE. AND YET, IT AIN'T NUTTING MORE THAN A SLIGHTLY SLEEKER VERSION OF THE OLD STYLES FROM SILVERTIP ONWARD.

I fully agree

Dan
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I use that bullet in my rifles. They work perfectly at 30-30 speeds with good expansion. The Deer do not seem to like them very much though!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not being a gun writer myself, my .30-30 seems to perform well with any task within reason. As far as the bullets, TERRY said it all. (Task within reason is limited to my shooting ability, not the .30-30s capability.)
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Tristan wrote:OK, thanks for the feedback.

Terry, I appreciate that tip on the Speer.

Regards,

Tristan

If you study the available trajectory information, you come to realize most of the 30-30 leverevolution data was mostly smoke and mirrors. With the Speer150 gr bullets, and with similar sight in ranges and height above bore figures, the difference at 300 yards is about 4".

I used the Hornady 170's for years, and they shot very well, and seemd to work on deer just fine, but when I shot the Speers next to them at longer ranges, the difference was immediately noticable in how much drop and holdover was needed.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have found the Speer bullets will outrun Sierra and Win. or REM. bullets of the same weight by about 50-60fps on average with all else about the load being the same.
Speer load data also stops short of Hodgdens for the same reason.
The Speer bullets are larger in diameter and build greater pressures. They also shoot quite well in almost every .30-30 rifle I have shot them in.
I am talking about the Speer Hot Core 150 and 170gr.FP bullets here not other .30 caliber designs. :D