Old photo of Texas Ranger.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Old photo of Texas Ranger.

Post by rangerider7 »

Vintage, original cyanotype photograph, 3.25 by 4.25", of Texas Ranger Herff Alexander Carnes, taken at Ysleta, Texas, home camp in 1910. Carnes joined the Rangers in 1903, along with his brother, Quirl Bailey Carnes, who joined up in 1908. Quirl was killed in an ambush at San Benito in 1910, the same year as this photo. Herff Carnes left the Rangers the following year and joined the Border Patrol. On 1 December 1932, while staking out some smugglers, a bullet struck Carnes' pistol, split into two parts and entered his abdomen. He died three days later.
"That'll Be The Day"
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old photo of Texas Ranger.

Post by 20cows »

A serious man in serious times!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Any guesses as to what manner of lever in the scabbard? Looks like something big in the cartridge belt.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looks like he's serious, but the hold on those reins is something else.
Old Law Dawg
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

95 Winchester carbine in 30/40 Krag, or Model 94 carbine in 30/30.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Another absolutely great photo rangerider. I've wondered, where do you come across the background information which often accompanies these photos you share with us ?

Reading the stories of these men and places increases the enjoyment ten-fold. Thanks again. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

95 in 30-06
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Good one, enjoyed it :D Thanks
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not to hijack this post, but which carry method for a rifle in a scabbard was more common - buttstock facing forward, as in this photo, or buttstock facing rear?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Not to hijack this post, but which carry method for a rifle in a scabbard was more common - buttstock facing forward, as in this photo, or buttstock facing rear?
Very cool pic and story....

YK ....I always wonder that too....
but in this case...it looks like a pretty long rifle,
and if it faced backwarks, it would be difficult
to pull the thing out while he is on the horse...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sounds like the west was still pretty wild even in 1910. All I can tell about the carbine in the scabbard is that it is a carbine (due to its carbine butt), and that it shoots long cartridges. Must have been a hard thing for his family and parents, loosing both boys like that.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Might be just a short backed horse but the skirt on the saddle looks very long by todays standards. Range rider , seems like you are a collector of antique saddles ????Enlighten me please.
Mine are all short enough to keep off their back so as to not inhibit any action and of course not to rub the animal
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

That's the way they made saddle skirts in those days. Gave plenty of room for saddle bags or serapes (along with a blanket roll and coat), so they wouldn't rub the horse, or get wet from sweat.

Most "modern" riders don't live in the saddle any more, so the big skirts have lost their reason for being.

Too bad... I like 'em
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Most of the "Brush Poppers" carried their rifles with the butt to the rear angled down and not higher than the horses rump. This was to keep from pulling brush between the rifle and the horse. This was fine in level country, but in the hills or mountains, the rifle could come out. Under those condition the rifle was carried as in the photo.

With the butt to the rear, there was also the chance the lever could snag on a limb and pull out without being noticed by the rider.

Which ever way, you never left the rifle on the horse unattended. A horse will rub against a tree and turn the stock into splinters.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Charles wrote:Which ever way, you never left the rifle on the horse unattended. A horse will rub against a tree and turn the stock into splinters.
Y2K was commenting on that also. We were watching some of the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" episodes and he couldn't believe men left their rifles on their horses when they went inside a saloon. I imagine in that case, without fear of the horse rubbing against something, it was simply an issue of whether the rifle was "too valuable" or just a "tool". I explained to him that back then theft was not tolerated, and stealing a man's rifle would likely get the person shot.

Correct?
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

I enjoy those old photos and the history behind them as well. I love reading the history of those old Texas Rangers. There are a lot of those trail and battle hardened men you would not have wanted to be on the wrong side of.

Not a sales pitch but if any of you haven't read One Ranger by Joaquin Jackson (sp?), you will not be able to put it down. He has a followup book One Ranger Returns (I think is the title-it has been awhile since I read these) that is just as good as the first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

DixieBoy wrote:Another absolutely great photo rangerider. I've wondered, where do you come across the background information which often accompanies these photos you share with us ?

Reading the stories of these men and places increases the enjoyment ten-fold. Thanks again. - DixieBoy
Amen to that.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

redhawk wrote:Not a sales pitch but if any of you haven't read One Ranger by Joaquin Jackson (sp?), you will not be able to put it down. He has a followup book One Ranger Returns (I think is the title-it has been awhile since I read these) that is just as good as the first.
I would have agreed a few years ago, but I'm still smarting from this and won't send any more of my hard-earned money Ranger Jackson's way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGySNLyACE

I agree on the rifle: Win. 1895 in .30-06 or maybe .30-03. I could be wrong, but those rounds look just a hair long to be .30-40s.
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

RSY wrote:
redhawk wrote:Not a sales pitch but if any of you haven't read One Ranger by Joaquin Jackson (sp?), you will not be able to put it down. He has a followup book One Ranger Returns (I think is the title-it has been awhile since I read these) that is just as good as the first.
I would have agreed a few years ago, but I'm still smarting from this and won't send any more of my hard-earned money Ranger Jackson's way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGySNLyACE

RSY,
This is the first time I have seen this. My opinion now runs parallel to yours.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Charles wrote:Most of the "Brush Poppers" carried their rifles with the butt to the rear angled down and not higher than the horses rump. This was to keep from pulling brush between the rifle and the horse. This was fine in level country, but in the hills or mountains, the rifle could come out. Under those condition the rifle was carried as in the photo.

With the butt to the rear, there was also the chance the lever could snag on a limb and pull out without being noticed by the rider.

Which ever way, you never left the rifle on the horse unattended. A horse will rub against a tree and turn the stock into splinters.
I agree with your comments. The only difference I see from the way I have carried my rifle is the angle of the scabbard when carried in the front. I'm no expert but I had the scabbard a little more vertical so the horse could turn his head without hitting the butt of the rifle. Just personal preference I guess. Thanks for the picture rangerider.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.