Savage 99 and used rifle dilema.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45_Rich
Levergunner

Savage 99 and used rifle dilema.

Post by .45_Rich »

I was at the local Cabela's this afternoon and found a Savage 99 chambered in .300 savage in their gun library. They had it listed for $575 but would part with it for $525. The serial number is 1014342. Is this a good deal? I thought the gun was in good condition. It had the normal wear and tear one would expect from an older gun. The stock was solid wood with no signs of abuse and some of the bluing has worn off. They had no extra info on the gun aside from the serial number. My dilema when it comes to used rifles is is there any way to determine if the gun is a "lemon" or not. The Cabelas salesman said they would "guarantee" that the rifle shoots and would "take care" of any problems but a gun smith has not checked it out.
Btw, I could buy a new 336w at fleet farm for 399.99 (or less if I wait until there is a sale.)
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 and used rifle dilema.

Post by 86er »

I've found a few Sav 99's that were priced great at $350 - $450. Most of these are the top tang safety style and most of those are box magazines. Cabelas gun room stands by their stuff pretty well. If you shoot it within 30 days and find any problems they'll take it back and give a full refund. What Cabela's is it? I know a lot of the gun room guys and would gladly make a call for you to find out more details if you'd like. In my experience with Savage 99's including searching for my own, if it looks like it was taken care of and is in great condition it will shoot that way too.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
.45_Rich
Levergunner

Post by .45_Rich »

It is the Cabelas in Owatonna, Mn. This one has the rotary magazine.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thing is that you can't guarantee a new rifle is not going to be a lemon.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I called and spoke to the guy that does the gun intake inspections. He said you may want to look at the 99 in 300 Sav that is in the Arizona store. He described it as a straight stock with vintage peep sight and sling with excellent metal and professionally redone wood for an asking price of $600. The one you referred to he rated at 80% and said it had a very clean bore and the action showed few signs for wear. He thought it was sold, but wasn't sure. He did say it was one of the nicer 99's they've had for that price range.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I think this is the one 86'r is refirring to.very nice.IMHOP. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... =SEARCH_gl
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Most of those 300 sav 99's can be made to shoot if the rifling and barrel ae in good shape, if you can't get one to group take the forearm wood off and try again if it groups then you need to figure out how the forearm is putting pressure on the barrel. danny
.45_Rich
Levergunner

Post by .45_Rich »

86er,
The 99 in Arizona is in far better shape from what I can tell in the pictures. I would imagine that if I contacted the Arizona store they would send it to Minnesota for me to purchase and pick up. I appreciate the comments regarding my uncertainty in buying a used gun.

.45_Rich
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Hey .45_rich, you know any of the Wayne family down the road in Geneva. All my kin.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

.45colt wrote:I think this is the one 86'r is refirring to.very nice.IMHOP. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... =SEARCH_gl
the pictured rifle has a side mounted iron sight, redfield I believe. There are no factory drilled holes on the side of the savage 99 receiver, new holes had to be drilled to mount that sight.If some one has a savage 99 with hole already drilled I have a similar if not identical sight I'll sell you cheap.
2LT Van Cott
Levergunner

Post by 2LT Van Cott »

big bear wrote:
.45colt wrote:I think this is the one 86'r is refirring to.very nice.IMHOP. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... =SEARCH_gl
the pictured rifle has a side mounted iron sight, redfield I believe. There are no factory drilled holes on the side of the savage 99 receiver, new holes had to be drilled to mount that sight.If some one has a savage 99 with hole already drilled I have a similar if not identical sight I'll sell you cheap.
Yep, you can see the mounting screws right along the rear edge of the receiver. I wonder why Redfield would make a sight like that that didn't use the factory tang sight holes?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conte ... av_03l.jpg
Your obedient servant,

Lieu't Van Cott
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

Redfield made some receiver sights that did use the existing screw holes, so I guess the reason for this one is, people bought them. The side mount receiver sight was really, really popular in the mid-20th century, and they turn up on everything from Mannlicher-Schonauer rifles to Remington Model 11 shotguns.
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
.45_Rich
Levergunner

Post by .45_Rich »

Gun Smith,
I don't know any Wayne's from Geneva, however I'm sure some of my coworkers do as they live just out side of town.

Rich