henry big boy...357 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
peabody
Levergunner

henry big boy...357 ?

Post by peabody »

anyone have a henry bigboy ? in .357 ?

im torn, i'ed like to trade a rifle or 2, i have for a henry, or a 92clone, in .357

the clones, [sic] rossi , really sing to me, but sometimes i wishes ruger would have made their little .44 in a .357 too.

is the .357 henry on the same frame ? as the .44.... would it be heavy ?

peabody
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Re: henry big boy...357 ?

Post by Warhawk »

I fondled one at Bass Pro a while back, gorgeous gun, smooth and silk, but extremely heavy.
peabody
Levergunner

Post by peabody »

Warhawk wrote:I fondled one at Bass Pro a while back, gorgeous gun, smooth and silk, but extremely heavy.

i was afraid of that.

so ? wich ''clone'' should i be looking for ? i dont want any safetys.

thanks.

peabody
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

For me it's the Rossi 92, at least of currently produced guns. If you're willing to pony up the price of a Henry, you should instead track down a Browning B92, it's the finest Win 92 clone ever made.

Barring that, get a Rossi 92 and send it to Steve Young for his magic, which includes getting rid of that silly safety.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

What about Marlin? the Henry is almost an exact copy of it so if you like it I'd think you would like the Marlin and its still made here.
The Rossi's are nice though and I'm keeping mine.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE MARLIN 357MAG CARBINES ARE EXCELLENT AND HAVE BEEN FOR WHAT, TWO DECADES NOW ?? IT WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME IF THE MARLIN OUTSELLS ALL THE OTHER 357 MAG LEVER CARBINES COMBINED.
IN SOME WAYS THE MARLIN 357MAG CARBINE IS THE PICK OF THE LITTER AND I HAVE A BROWNING, ROSSI, AND MARLIN 357MAG CARBINES IN MY MENAGERIE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

peabody wrote:anyone have a henry bigboy ? in .357 ?

im torn, i'ed like to trade a rifle or 2, i have for a henry, or a 92clone, in .357

the clones, [sic] rossi , really sing to me, but sometimes i wishes ruger would have made their little .44 in a .357 too.

is the .357 henry on the same frame ? as the .44.... would it be heavy ?

peabody
peabody,

As Warhawk said the Henry Big Boy rifles are extreamly heavy.
I examined one chambered for the .45 Colt a year or so ago and found it not only heavy, but awkward and poorly balanced.

The insides are basically copies of the Marlin 336. This is way too much action for the .357 Mag cartridge. I guess Henry makes it work, but why carry around a 10 pound rifle when it's unnecessary?

Between all the 92 clones all but the new one from, who is it EMF?, has the goofy bolt safety or tang safety with rebounding hammer. Even the Marlin has a cross bolt safety, but theirs is easily done away with and even if it's left alone easily anchored so it don't get switched to the safe position.

So, I've had a Marlin, liked it, and wish I still had it, someday I'll get another one.
That or the new 92 without the safety is my recommendation.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[is the .357 henry on the same frame ? as the .44.... would it be heavy ?]

How does 8 or 9 pounds, bareback, sound ? :roll:

It sounds like a Fat Boy, ILO a BigBoy, IMHO. :mrgreen:

I have a .357 Rossi 16" carbine that weighs in around 5 pounds, peeped. 'Nuff said. 8)

peabody
Levergunner

Post by peabody »

Pete44ru wrote:[
:roll:

:mrgreen:

I have a .357 Rossi 16" carbine that weighs in around 5 pounds, peeped. 'Nuff said. 8)

5 pounds, now thats sweet ! :mrgreen:

ok, as soon as i find a job, im getting one. life is too short.

hummm ? get a job ? buy a gun ?

sound right ?
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Not a clone but the Marlin .357 is a great rifle.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
peabody
Levergunner

Post by peabody »

im really liking the marlin, but ? i picked up a clone.... dont know the brand, ? its brand new, .357 light as a feather.

i'll have to go back, and look at it again, i did look, but my fuddled brain, is pulling up blanks.

it was a 20'' barrel, i do know that, and the action was pretty slick, trigger needed work.

peabody