OT: Do you carry a knife or two?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Do you carry a knife or two?

Post by rimrock »

always carry 2 knives-- Schrade Stockman my dad gave about 30 yrs ago and a Ka-Bar folder, and a Schrade multi-tool.
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I just have to have a knife handy. I'm simply lost without one. I've carried the same little Swiss Army knife (I think it's called the "Champion") for well over 20 years now. That rides in my left pocket. Clipped to my right pocket is a Benchmade McHenry-Williams folder that I've had about five years. It's the best locking folder I've owned to this point in both form and function. It even gets clipped to my boxers bumming around the house some days. On my belt I carry a Leatherman Supertool. That Leatherman gets used multiple times daily and saves me from walking back to the truck for a tool so many times.

Some folks think it silly that I carry the Benchmade and that little SAK when I've got the Leatherman on my belt, but they each serve a different purpose in my life. The knife blade on that Leatherman gets abused and used hard on stuff I wouldn't think of subjecting my Benchmade to. The Benchmade is great for one-handed deliberate cutting of things. That little SAK stays razor sharp and is used when that type of blade is required. The right tool for the job so to speak.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Can't say I've ever clipped a knife to my skivies (boxers or briefs) while at home but I do have at least one knife on the table next to my chair in the TV room, on my desk, and on my dresser next to the bed and of course there are a multitude of knives in the kitchen.
ED
Yer never too old
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

:lol: :lol:

Well....I've got a wife and a kid. Things "get moved" when I just leave them sitting about. As for the kitchen....hate to admit it, but I don't feel bad about using that Benchmade for a multitude of kitchen cutlery tasks. I guess I'm just goofy, but like I said...I feel naked without a good knife around.

:roll:
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hank Dodge wrote::lol: :lol:

Well....I've got a wife and a kid. Things "get moved" when I just leave them sitting about. As for the kitchen....hate to admit it, but I don't feel bad about using that Benchmade for a multitude of kitchen cutlery tasks. I guess I'm just goofy, but like I said...I feel naked without a good knife around.

:roll:
Maybe ya do feel naked without your knife but if ya keep clipping that moderately heavy knife to yer skivies, you just may find yerself standing naked in the middle of the living room when the knife pulls yer skivies down around yer ankles. :o :roll:

Maybe ya oughta get a neck knife to use when cruising the house in yer skivies!!! :lol:
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Two. Spyderco Delica and a Leatherman K2 Juice.

I noticed all the Waves carried. I have one. Used to carry it all the time (in uniform) but it was too much after retirement. I have had a Leatherman tool since they first came on the market.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Kershaw Ken Onion assisted open folder in my pants. Gerber multi tool in the Jeep.
Same combo here but the Gerber spends time on my belt. I use both many times durring each day.

LK
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have always been a knife fan. And I have always been a fan of big folders. I grew up packing knives like the big Case, Old Timer, and Kabar 2 bladed folding hunters. They had two long 4 inch blades. Later on (about 17yrs old) I purchased a Puma Game Warden single lockbladed folder which had around a 3.5 to 4 inch single clip blade. I wore it out, on the farm, feeding square bales, opening feed sacks, heck even our gates were often held together with hay string, at times.

When I farmed back then, I usually carried a big lock blade folder, and a resonably large 3 bladed stockman. Nowdays, I usually carry a 4 inch bladed Benchmade. I have Leathermans, and stuff, which I would often keep in a pack, or tool box, but I never carried them much, although I used to carry a pair of small vice grips in a leather pouch. The Leatherman is handy, but I never cared for it, as my main knife in my pocket, much perferring a large lockblade folder as my main knife, for over thirty years now. I have also wore out a few of the Buck folding hunters, but I never was real fond of the metal in the blade of that knife.

For many years I carried the Big lockback folding hunters, and I would always drill a hole in the end of the handle, if it didn't already have one, and run a piece of leather or braded fishing like through it. This leather piece would usually be about 6 inch long with a knot in the end of it. I always carried it in my front pants pocket, with the string sticking out of the pocket, and would just pull it out by the string, and it would spin around and be in my hand, and if I wanted it open really fast, I make the blade fly open in the process. That string also made it possible for me to get at my knife really fast, even with leather work gloves on. This was very handy on the farm. All of this was before, the pocket clipped, one handed knives everyone has nowdays.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

For about the last 37 years I have had some knife on my person during waking hours. Out of High school I went to a commercial diving school run by Santa Barbara City College. Day one was have a sharp knife on you at all times. I use my knife almost every day for one thing or another. I feel naked when I go overseas and don't have one on me. Can't say it has ever saved my bacon, T zero at diving school was don't place yourself in a hazardous situation, but it sure comes in handy. I am often amazed at how shocked some people are when I pull mydaily carry little 3 inch Kershaw out to open a box, cut strapping etc. They act like I have some horrific weapon. I have a friend who never carried a knife until he started hunting about four years ago. He now can't see how he lived without having one all the time.
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

I always carry a knife, have for the past 40+ years. Also carry a Leatherman of one size or another. Current daily carry is a Charlie May fixed blade of 3 inches, at work it is in my bag, Knives of Alaska folder in my pocket. I refuse to fly anywhere now so being without a knife is a non-issue.
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

jjames wrote:... They act like I have some horrific weapon....
Yes it's very amusing when some asks if anyone has a knife they can use. You pull out yours and they act like you have some horrific weapon. I get great pleasure in saying, "HEY! YOU were the one who asked for one! How about you be a bit prepared and start carrying your own; then you wouldn't have to borrow mine."

It is actually illegal to carry a knife in Queensland without a specific reason.

Waz
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I carry Gerber U.S. of A.
My daily everywhere carry is the current Gebrer Military "Easy out style" with the S30V steel blade. Got it from a kind Iraq return trooper. That S30V steel does hold a good edge.
In a pouch I carry a Gerber tool. This is the 4" long model. It has served well for many years.
I only needed a knife (a 41 mag would have been better) once to really make a difference. Here in Arequipa, Peru dogs are permitted to run the streets. Many owners think it pure sport their dog is the meanest. One garbage day as the neighbors were carrying their garbage to the truck I noticed a neighbors doberman come out the open back gate door across the park. This dog had a reputation of bitting people. I thought "That idiot "! My immediate neighbors small son (about 3) was outside his gate watching his mom carry garbage. He was about 10 feet to my left. I continued to watch the doberman run back and forth about midway across the park . Suddenly the dog stoped running ,viewed the lone boy standing there and came right for him.´ I saw it all unfold before my eyes. As I started to move to my left to get between the dog and the small boy I was pulling out my 3" blade Gerber. The hundreds of times opening that knife proved good practice as I got in front of the boy and assumed what I would call a knife fight squat ready for attack. The doberman came to a sliding stop about 5 feet away eying the boy through my spread legs but also realizing it was going to have to go through me. After a "Lifetime" of the staredown and listening to the low gutteral growl, The owner from across the part (I think he watched the whole show) called his animal and the dog left. I turned and asked Jorge if he was alright. His eyes were the largest I can remember. He never said a word. His mom appeared shortly thanking me... Me I was very THANKFUL I did not have to tangle with that monster. Dog was never seen again.
Any knife would have worked. BUT I had absolute faith my Gerber was sharp and was ready for the task.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

[quote="waz
It is actually illegal to carry a knife in Queensland without a specific reason.

Waz[/quote]

That is terrible :( :(
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

waz wrote:
jjames wrote:... They act like I have some horrific weapon....
Yes it's very amusing when some asks if anyone has a knife they can use. You pull out yours and they act like you have some horrific weapon. I get great pleasure in saying, "HEY! YOU were the one who asked for one! How about you be a bit prepared and start carrying your own; then you wouldn't have to borrow mine."

Waz
I hear ya. BTW, that beautiful antler boot knife streetstar posted on page 1 will get you a felony here in Iowa. Double edged knives and knives w/blades over 5" are a no-no here. You can carry a larger single edge knife when hunting but only then.

LK
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I've had a knife in my pocket for 45 years at least. Carried and worn out dozens over the years. But I've never carried more than one unless I have my gunbelt on or a pack on my back. Nowdays I carry a razor sharp Kershaw 'Corral Creek'. It gets about 99.9% of what I need done if it isn't hunting season.

For 35 years on my gunbelt I've carried a "Gerber by Sakai/Japan" folder. That's all it says. I'd hate to guess the number of deer/elk/bear/etc this thing has gutted and skinned. The blade is worn very short and I've often thought about sending it back and having a new blade put on it but would worry that because of its age a replacement wouldn't be available. I'll just keep going with it until it is just a nub :mrgreen:
2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have a Buck folder that is considerably shorter than a new model, the girlfriend has confiscated it.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Waz- it is illegal in many states and territories. Of course it is easy to have a reason!

Makes it hard to justify carrying sheath knives or more combative knives, but if you are not living in a bad area of a major city- where the local cops will have a zero tolerance policy, it is pretty easy to work around.
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

This is another reason why I HATE SCHOOL! I am always carrying a knife around the wood/homestead/farm, and lots of time I will cary two or three for many different reasons/uses. I get in the habit of puttin' a knife or two in my pocket every morning as soon as I get dressed, but I can't ever take it to school. This really makes me mad. Whne hunting, I will usually cary 3 different folder knives (1 "real" buck guthook, 1 "fake" Buck serated folder, and 1 "generic" Winchester 3-blade with a saw, guthook and reg blade) and a Gerber multitool. I have to leav them all behind when I go to school, and have no tools to use at all. :evil:
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

It seems like every forum I am on has a thread just like this every few months. I ALWAYS carry at least one knife, currently a Kershaw Blur in S30V, often I add my Gerber Compact multi-tool. I feel naked without one on me.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

The knife I carry is my cigar cutter - Al Mar Havana Clipper

Outdoors, I carry folders in my shirt pocket, fishing or shell bag, including Spyderco Native, CRKT M-16 Compact and this Benchmade

I collect bird and trout knives and small skinners
and I'll mention that I collect between-the-wars fly reels (also repair these for a hobby business)
here's where my avatar came from
and I do fish these

a better picture of a few of the B/T knives
although I traded off the Hatori

I also have a thing for Seki City knives, and I have the last Matsuda Kiridashi - I pestered Kiku for two years until he sold it to me - great neck knife
Last edited by bdhold on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

bulldog1935 wrote:The knife I carry is my cigar cutter - Al Mar Havana Clipper

I collect bird and trout knives and small skinners
Very nice knives. What is the yellow handled folder in the picture?
ED
Yer never too old
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Are they three cold steel trout and bird knives on the left hand side of the rack? Great looking and totally functional knife- but one I have always had difficulty sharpening. Is there a secret?
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Modoc ED wrote:
Very nice knives. What is the yellow handled folder in the picture?
Hi Ed, that is a Moore Maker 3-spring whittler, serialized.

My other folders are mint Shapleighs, Simmons Hornet and a Schatt
Also have a Hen and Rooster and Buck Creek folders that I carry.
Last edited by bdhold on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Lawyer Daggit wrote:Are they three cold steel trout and bird knives on the left hand side of the rack? Great looking and totally functional knife- but one I have always had difficulty sharpening. Is there a secret?
The Cold Steel B/T is the best finger-ring knive I've ever handled. But I can't say I've used it - I can't put down my Moki and John Roy knives for this work, not to mention the Kiku
this is Damascus VG-10 w. nickel

the other 2 finger-ring knives are a Marbles Damascus and a Colorado

here's my Mark Waite b/t "at work" last summer in Alaska