So who s buying a Uberti Burgess

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

So who s buying a Uberti Burgess

Post by barbarossa »

Promised my wife that I would only buy one gun this year and I m thinking the Uberti Burgess rifle 25 inch barrel just might be it.Who else is going to get one.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: So who s buying a Uberti Burgess

Post by Terry Murbach »

I WILL WAIT THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I took a look at their website photos and video. Beautiful rifle. Uberti is coming out with some very nice repros in recent years. My only regret is the caliber that the 1893 is being offered in. The 45 Colt is a great cartridge, but I don't believe the '93 was ever offered in that caliber. I wouldn't be surprised if they expand the caliber listings for that rifle in the next year or two.

If I was to buy a Uberti gun right now, it would be the Cimarron Winchester Model 1876 SRC in .45-60.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

While I've always considered the Burgess to be an "interesting" design (along with the Whitney-Kennedy and a few otheres) there were some major reasons that it did not have a long run, as originally designed. It later became a big part of the Marlin 1881 saga, but only a part...

I still find it to be a curiosity, more than a shooter, so, like Terry and others, I'll pass, thanks.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Buck Elliott wrote:there were some major reasons that it did not have a long run, as originally designed
I'd be happy to read about those reasons. I have Maxwell's book on the Burgess designs, and while he mentions there were problems, he doesn't go into details. Uberti has been quite willing to redesign the internals of replicas, so maybe this rifle will be more desirable than the originals.

I'm currently juggling 3 single-shot projects, and I can't see myself getting a lever until next year. A Burgess in .44-40 has much appeal, but I've long assumed I'd get an original small frame 1881. We'll see...
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I were to purchase a Uberti right now it would more then likely be a Model 1876 in 50-95 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

From what I have seen the Burgess is one fine looking lever. I have had an interest for about a year now and am waiting for some range reports. the original Burgess had a weak spot in the fore end wood where the magazine lay under it. almost all the original's I have seen for sale were broken just ahead of the loading gate. in 38-40 or .357 mag this rifle would be fun. :)
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'll let one (or all) of you guys have first dibs...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

WHEW.................................... :o Thanks Buck, First Terry now You. That leaves at least two left for when I find the Gold Bars. :D .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Someday, but not this year. Have several other guns higher up on the list right now.

Can't wait to see the first range report posted here though!!! :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I really like the looks of them. I'd love to buy one except I'm on a "finish all pre-existing projects" first goal. After than perhaps my wife will have won the lotto.
Should I ever get one, I'd seriously prefer it to be in an original caliber.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Not me.