200 gr spire point for 300 Savage?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

200 gr spire point for 300 Savage?

Post by MacEntyre »

Has anyone has success with a 200 grain spire point for 300 Savage?

Last year, I made a couple of dozen rounds using a 200 grain cast bullet. The bullet itself is no longer than a 170 grain spire point, so it did not have to be seated any deeper, and it fed well. IIRC, I loaded it with about 36 grains of Varget. It made a nice group out of my Savage 99.

Today, I found a sale and bought a box of 50 Nosler Partition 200 grain spire point bullets. Got back from lunch, opened the box, and LOL, the things are a quarter inch longer than a 170 grain spire point! Also, the base is not jacketed.

Will these big boys fit in the case along with 38 grains of Reloader 15, seated well below the case neck? Will the base melt before it gets out of the barrel?

(I could keep them on the shelf until I get a Winchester 95 in 308 Winchester. ;))
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have no reloading experience with the 300, but I would guess that they would take up too much space. How full is the case with 38 grains?The might be too big for a 308 too. Have you tried 165 grain bullets/ i had good success with them when I had a 308. I would think a30-06 or larger case would be more acceptable with a 200 grain bullet. Just my .02 Canadian
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

No problems with normal loads, just playing with the edge of the envelope...
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

200 gr. .300 Savage

Post by Tumbleweeds »

I don't know anyone who uses a 200 gr. .300, but I can see some limited use for short-range penetration, like on a bear or hog hunt in brush.

My old Speer manual (no. 11) lists some loads for THEIR 200 gr. spitzer, but none of the loads get more than about 2200 fps with max loads in a 20" bbl.

Why don't you call Nosler and see what they recommend for that bullet and cartridge? Also, you might ask whether a 1:12 twist will stabilize that bullet. If it won't, you won't like the result and might as well have a full box for trading fodder.
OK, OK, I made the jump.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It will likely work due to the ability of the Partition to expand at low velocity but, 180s would be a better choice.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

The Ideal Short Rifle

Post by Old Savage »

I am inclined to think ( if it shoots well ) that it is the Marlin Cowboy 357 20" barrel.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Make up a dummy rnd..Seat a bullet out to touch the rifling..Then seat it about twenty thou deeper.. See if that runs thru the magazine...Then play with it from there....