Musings from the Miller: Hornady LEVERevolution - reloads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Musings from the Miller: Hornady LEVERevolution - reloads

Post by J Miller »

I was just sitting and thinking today, I'd just read the thread about the Hornady Leverevolution ammo and how it works, when a horrible thought came to mind.

There are some folks out there that will see the pointed bullets on this ammo and never stop to THINK there is something different about them. They will buy regular spitzers, spire points, or what ever the given manufacturer calls them and then load them up trying to duplicate the factory rounds.

I wondered just how long it's going to be before we start reading about the Marlin XLR rifles and other tube magazine lever actions having tube magazine detonations with these reloads?

Of course I know that nobody here at Leverguns would be so .......... ummm, silly to do this.

Joe
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I don't think there are any "regular" spitzers that will work in any of the cartridges that the LR bullets are made for. All of them would make the cartridge too long to feed and/or chamber. In case they did anyway; well Darwin still has some work to do.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Just as an experiment I filed down the Delrin tip on a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip so it was flush with the copper edge. The resulting meplat if you will was the same size to the naked eye as the meplat of a 150 gr Winchester Silvertip in a factory 30-30 cartridge. The meplat for the 150 gr Winchester Power Point factory 307 Win was larger than the other two. I had some old Western Super X 170gr Silvertips and the meplat on that bullet was the same as the 150 gr Silvertip. Maybe 150 gr or 170 gr Silvertips should be loaded into my 307 Winnie instead of PowerPoints for deer sized game. My leverguns wear iron sights so I won't be needing gummy tipped bullets for 250-300 yd shots.