550 Yard 30-30 Winchester Video

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

550 Yard 30-30 Winchester Video

Post by Rifleman »

I posted my introduction yesterday and decided to post the video I was talking about; the one which the validity was called into question. I also have some info on how I did it.

This is the best shot I have ever made with any gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Veqj22KwVw

Yes, there is some luck to the 550 yard shot; no one was more surprised than I when I knew I hit that tiny target. Having said that, there is a lot of skill, preparation, and maintenance involved too. Here are the 12 shots before the 550 yard shot.

The 3 hi-left shots were the group I shot after load development. That day I had a 3-5mph 12 o'clock wind. That is a 1 15/16 inch group at 300 yards; .64moa. My first group with that scope on my Winchester using the Hornady 160 grain FTX bullets.
The next 3 shots numbered in red pen are the zeroing of my scope at 300 yards. The 3rd shot hit the triangle and broke a chip off.

The shots numbered in black are from the next day while zeroing at 400 yards. There was a 7-10mph 9 o'clock wind at that time. The first shot I missjudged the wind by 7 1/2 inches and the elevation by 5 inches. I expected that at that range being a new load and my first 400 yard shot with the FTX bullets.
My scope doesn't track as the turret reads, so I was getting used to it with those shots also.
When I had it as good as I could with adjustments, seeing that I am just trying to get my zeros at different distances, I proceeded to 500 yards... only that I could not get a clear shot at 500 from the bench I was using so I had to go a little further.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1dUJe2JoSs

When I moved to 550, I basically already had the wind doped, I just added another click left.
The elevation was a matter of figuring how wrong my estimates was which I got from the Hornady site the night before. On my way back from placing the target I debated with myself what my setting would be.

The rest is history... Well, old news anyway.

I should add...

One of the most important things I do when shooting the 30-30 is let the barrel cool between shots. After each shot I leave the action open, walk to my target, mark it, walk back then get ready for the next shot. Only when I am ready to aim will I close the action. If it is hot out and the sun is beating down on the barrel, I will run a wet patch of bore cleaner down the bore, then run a dry one down it.
I try to make the conditions the same from one shot to another. Basically, I'm always shooting a "cold bore" shot.

Since I can't free float the barrel, I'll just get around needing it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 550 Yard 30-30 Winchester Video

Post by Old Savage »

Nice shooting. We have a 400 target at the local range. There used to be a lady that came every Sunday with a scoped Winchester Model 70 308. She would hit a target just a bit larger than the milk jug until you were tired of watching her off the bench. Harder of course with open sights.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Old Savage wrote:Nice shooting. We have a 400 target at the local range. There used to be a lady that came every Sunday with a scoped Winchester Model 70 308. She would hit a target just a bit larger than the milk jug until you were tired of watching her off the bench. Harder of course with open sights.

I have shot a jug with my 30-30 with iron sights. It took me 3 tries but I did get it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPWM39rgBzs

I tried to go further with a home made sight blade but I was using factory ammo at the time and they just wouldn't hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcJL9bCF3Dk

But with my Eddystone US Model of 1917 I can hit pretty well at that range, now that I hand-load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j69imxPtW4

And I also made that cross to aid in my accuracy, it helps me get around the mirage effect.

As you can tell, I record everything. :P

Thanks!
Nixterdemus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nixterdemus »

How much drop at 550 yards?
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Nixterdemus wrote:How much drop at 550 yards?

It came to a 21.5moa adjustment from my 100 yard setting. My scope seems to not adjust as it should but that comes to about 10 feet.
When I used the Hornady site ballistic calculator, it told me that I would get that amount of drop at 500 yards, so my scopes adjustments are a little skewed.

I was thinking it should be about 12.5 feet.

When the temperature gets above 32 degrees, I'll use my new chronograph to see what my muzzle velocity is; that should give me a better idea of how much it really is dropping.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I AM NOT SURPRISED ATALL. ANYONE WHO WOULD DOUBT THIS IS POSSIBLE SHOWS THEIR OWN MONUMENTAL IGNORANCE. ACTUALLY IT IS NOT ALL THE DIFFICULT AT ALL IF YOU CAN SHOOT. IF YOU CAN'T...WELL SORRY, YOU GO JOIN THE CROWD OF DOUBTERS/WHINERS OVER YONDER THERE. I STOOD AND WATCHED JIM TAYLOR HIT THE 1000 YARD BUFFALO AT WHITTINGTON WITH HIS 30-30 CARBINE AND LEAD BULLET HANDLOADS.
DO NOT EVER FORGET THE U.S. ARMY USED TO SHOOT THE WIMBLETON MATCHES AT 1000 YARDS WITH THEIR '73 45-70 TRAPDOOR RIFLES WITH RESULTS HARDLY EXCELLED BY MODERN SHOOTERS DOING THE SAME MATCHES TODAY. THE MID-RANGE TRAJECTORY WAS 35' ; NO PROBLEM ATALL TO DROP BULLET AFTER BULLET FROM ON HIGH INTO THE CENTER OF THE 1000 YARD TARGET.
AHHHH...AND LASTLY, DO NOT FORGET THE TWO WORDS "BUFFINGTON SIGHTS".
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is good shooting. I can see that your barrel would have plenty of time to cool off if you walk out there and back each time. I enjoy posts (and videos) like yours. It shows what can be done and turns the lights on for a lot of folks.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Cool and video proof to boot!!! Great job Rifleman!!!

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great shoot'n and post!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats good going Sir well done :D
Sure wish my last carbine would of shot like that! The cross bolt saftey model I had years ago was upto that kind of shooting and yep I wish i still had it :roll:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

That is some great shooting Rifleman, and no I don't doubt you either.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I've only shot out to 400yds with my 30-30 with good results and I do not doubt your success at 550.
I think you have found a home here. Welcome! :mrgreen:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Rifleman,

Just looking at the first few seconds of video, it seems your barrel is a little long or your magazine is a bit short! What kind of modifications have you done to your rifle??
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You came to a good place here. I remember the post when Jim Taylor shot the white buffalo with a made on the spot cardboard sight. 200 hundred yards is all I have shot very much but I did get a groundhog at 220 yards. My 1950 94 30wcf wears a Marbles tang sight.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
OK357
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OK357 »

I've tried my hand at Minisniping with .177 air rifles where an empty 9mm shell casing at 35 yards equates to shooting a man sized object 1000 yards away.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Lobo wrote:Rifleman,

Just looking at the first few seconds of video, it seems your barrel is a little long or your magazine is a bit short! What kind of modifications have you done to your rifle??
Other than the scope and a shim I made to elevate the back-end of the scope a bit, it is the same as when I bought it new 30 years ago.