OT: NW Trade/chiefs gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

OT: NW Trade/chiefs gun

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: for awhile I have had the itch for a NW Trade/chiefs gun.

But before I take the finally plunge, I need to do research on them. On the Track of the Wolf web page, I found thus book:

"Trade Guns of the Hudson's Bay Company, 1670 - 1970," by S. James Gooding

Looking at the table of contents, it seems to cover a great deal of information.

Anyone know of any other worthwhile books or other sources of information?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: NW Trade/chiefs gun

Post by C. Cash »

Hi Ray,

Wish I could help, but if you post this at americanlongrifles.org you will get tons of info....guys there have made learning and collecting these types a weapons into a lifestyle. I would probably post on their Antique Gun Collecting forum. Many of the guys all over those forums are contemporary builders and not only know about them, but how they made them in the day. Good luck...seems like a great all around piece and historically accurate to boot.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The best book I have is Hanson's Trade Guns, if you let me know what you are looking for i can help you as this is pretty mcuh what I do for fun. My last gun was a French oficers fusil of the 1760 period with fitting from an original gun. I have several books and can copy stuff if you are interested. I also use the Enclclopedia of the American Revolution as it shows several Officers and Chief's Grade guns.
oldboot
Levergunner

Post by oldboot »

Try out this forum. Its has people with tons of info on traditional muzzleloading firearms. They will be able to point you out in the right direction.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/

Just don't mention in-line muzzleloaders that will ruffle their feathers really quick.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: thanks for the information. My gunsmith is in Afghanistan for about the next 9 months, so I have more than enough time to get the information that I need. Again, thanks.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.