Pumas and Keiths

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pka45
Levergunner

Pumas and Keiths

Post by pka45 »

Hi Friends,

I just couldn't help myself and have a 20" stainless round barrel 45 Puma coming from Bud's in the next week or so - can't wait. But I just got to thinking, I bought this gun to shoot the RCBS 255 and 270 gr Keiths I use in my Vaquero; can I expect it to feed them (OAL around 1.655") ? It's gonna be a headache if they won't feed, since that's all I've got as far as 45 bullets go...

Thanks!

Pete
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pumas and Keiths

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm not sure about the 45, but I think its the same deal as my .44 Mag - neither my Marlin or my Puma will feed the keith bullets - they are just too long crimped in the crimp groove.

But, you can use them - just seat them deeper (adjust loads appropriately) and crimp over the front driving band. That works fine.

In my .44 Mag, I can use the keith designs crimped in the crimp groove - in 44 Special cases...

You could just trim the cases enough to shorten the overall cartridge length as well...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The Rossi Puma .45 Colt I had took some gunsmithing to get it to feed anything. Once that was done it would feed everything. Give it a try first then go from there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pka45
Levergunner

Post by pka45 »

Thanks guys - that's unfortunate though. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the Marauder tune-up instructions, but I was hoping to use the bunch of ammo I already have reloaded on some hogs next month... maybe not.

Pete
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Rossi 44-40 will feed a 240 gr. SWC and the max. OAL is 1.624", my Puma 92/44 Max OAL is 1.600 with the same 240 gr. They all use the same frame & internal size.

You will need to make a dummy and play, Good Luck.

I use the same load for my Ruger SBH/44, I size the loads for my 92/44 carbine so both can use the same rounds.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I have two Rossi 45's, one is a very old Interarms and the other one is a new Rossi-Braztech that I got new a couple weeks ago. The old Interarms Rossi will not feed the keiths, not even close . The new Rossi feeds them with no problem. I have tried the RCBS-45-255-SWC and the LBT Keith 260gr and the Lyman 454424 and the new one feeds all of them just fine.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Just to clarify my reply - I am talking true keith bullets - my new rossi feeds 240 swc's just fine - they have a shorter nose. It's the long keith nose that puts em just over the line for moving out of the magazine.... its very close - and as said, you might get lucky and get one that's a tad more open....

If not, this can be fixed - Nate Kiowa Jones (Steve's Gunz) can do it for you. Its just a tweek to the lifter I think.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
pka45
Levergunner

Post by pka45 »

Thanks again. OSOK - I'm talking true Keiths as well, I know what you mean. And I have heard such glowing praise of Steve's work, I'd like to use him sometime, but in this case I want to use this gun on a January hunt.

I'll definitely check on the feeding when I go to pick it up from my FFL; if it doesn't feed Keiths though, I'm not sure if I should accept delivery or not...

Pete
pka45
Levergunner

Post by pka45 »

Well it works - feeds my Keith bullets just fine. I might even get it to shoot it when this blizzard clears out...