45-70 Hunting load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
slowhandscotty
Levergunner

45-70 Hunting load

Post by slowhandscotty »

Looking for some advice for a hunting load. I'm using a marlin guide gun. I have Winchester brass with CCI200 primers and Hornady 300 grain JHP tips. Looking for a load using either H335 or H4895. Most info I've found says to start the H335 at 58 grains and the H4895 at 61 grains. Anybody use this combo and have good results? Thanks

-Scott
-Scott
Hobie

Re: 45-70 Hunting load

Post by Hobie »

I'm sitting at work and in a bit of a "mood" my immediate thought was that you should load the whole bullet rather than just the "tips". :wink: :D

Seriously, I load 54 gr. of H322 under the 300 gr. JHPs in the .45-70. This is even safe in my Contender carbine and it duplicates the velocity of factory loads of these bullets. The thing is that you can't know if any given load will be accurate in YOUR gun until you try it. If accurate and the bullet hits game such as deer where it should it will be successful.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
slowhandscotty
Levergunner

Post by slowhandscotty »

You know that's probably where I've been going wrong. The Whole bullet you say? :D Hobie do you know what kind of velocity you're seeing with that load? I know what is accurate for you may not be for me. I'm just looking at getting a starting point for working up my load. Thanks.

-Scott
-Scott
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

. After five years of trying I have finally found THE load for it. Does everything I want done and is still shootable. I started with new Remington brass, annealed the first ¾ inch using the melted lead method, belled with a Lee expander and primed with CCI 200. The powder charge is 52gr AA 2495. I started with 48 and worked up with no signs of pressure. This is a compressed load, even using a 16 inch drop tube. The magic bullet is cast in a Lyman 451114 mould. The alloy is 17 parts pure lead, 2 ½ parts linotype, and ½ part tin. The bullet drops from the mould .451 and is ready for patching. I make my patches from 16lb green bar computer paper, cut 2.750 long on a 60* angle 1.500 high. I dip in water and wrap twice around the bullet. They are left to dry overnight, then lubed with BAC from White Label Lube. The next day the tails are clipped and the bullet is run through a .459 Lee sizing die. I seat them to an OCL of 2.580. These shoot clover leaf groups at 25 yards and into 1.75 at 100. This is with a Lyman 66 rear sight and factory front sight. Not bad for 57 year old eyes. Bullet performance on game is all one could ask for. I’ll not quit experimenting, but how does one improve on perfection? I have taken two deer, and half a dozen or so coyotes with this gun. Maybe someday I will have a chance to go hog hunting.