32-20 works again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

32-20 works again

Post by rost495 »

Sorry no photos this time but I did not hit exactly where I wanted to and thought I'd pass this along.

1902 manufacture of an 1892 IIRC, running 11-12 grains of something... hows that... my load stuff is packed up for moving... haven't loaded for it since last December... 90 grain hornady xtp bullets.

Anyway we brushed in next to a trail the other night. First deer came from downwind and busted us, finally a group of four came crosswind on the trail, and passed by at about 30 yards with big doe in the bunch. I figured she'd see me swinging with her and stop, it was really late and tough to see sights, and I could'nt clearly see the bottom of her chest, I figured I was up a bit too high but when I realized she wasn't stopping, I just kept swinging and mashed the trigger.

Here is what kinda surprised me, after her 50 yard dash we went to look at the damage. Wife says kinda high there... yep I knew that going into it. But it was appx 100 pound live weight doe, went through the middle of the shoulder blade going in, kept going, went through the tail of the lower blade on the way out(we were higher by a bit than the deer...) and exited and kept sailing evidently....

It did manage to be high enough to clip the aorta which didn't hurt, but both lungs had decently nice holes and damage to them. It was getting dark and cold so we just got her home and gutted and cleaned...

Sorry for no pictures but once again I"m impressed. I did have an almost shot at around 70 yards but the doe turned to face me, and I won't take that shot with this gun, and I really knew I shouldn't as the gun shoots high at 30 yards and I was not totally sure of how high it would be at 70... though maybe on its way down already...

Thanks for your time. And all the input this sight has given me to make my 32-20 safe and fun and lethal.

Jeff
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: 32-20 works again

Post by Buck Elliott »

A little '92 in .32-20 kept a couple of us in camp meat for several seasons, back in the "old days..."

Deer, antelope & rabbits -- it didn't seem to matter much to the great little rifle and cartridge.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks for posting. It is always interesting to get actual field reports.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

A 32-20 ain't enough to kill a deer with - you must've been halucinating! :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

O.S.O.K. wrote:A 32-20 ain't enough to kill a deer with - you must've been halucinating! :lol:
Just enough to keep a couple bellies full... :shock:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Buck, you do recognize sarcasm don't you? ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

Been told the same thing a few times. Seems to work just fine, assuming some common sense is used. Even worked with puny cowboy loads I was warned to not use.

I also suspect it has a lot to do with distance limitations and shot placement, and the fact that I haven't taken anything over say 125 pounds with it yet..
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Good to hear that it worked for you. I'll be carrying mine for a nice fat doe in a couple of weeks.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Didn't get a chance to shoot a deer with mine this year. But I need to do something different with the sight . It hard to to see in the woods in low light. By next year I'll get a peep for it.
Good report on bullet performance. I shoot 100gr XTP's in front of 12 gr of H110 and small rifle primers. The 100gr XTP is all I can seem to find at any of the shops. Actually I only know of one shop that carries .312 bullets locally.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nice to hear the old cartridge can still get er done. My exwifes granddad homesteaded on the eastern side of the North Park in Co. He didn't own anything for a gun except a Marlin 94 in 32-20, he kept the family fed with deer and bear.....
If I was to go on a tare with the 32wcf again, I'ld sure give the rcbs 98 swc bullet a try. Good swc bullet that looks for all the world like Mr. Keiths 44 bullets, shoots really well out of the 32 H&R.
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

Speaking of Mr. Keith, he claimed to have killed a running mule deer with a .32-20 revolver. It was what he happened to be wearing when opportunity knocked.
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

rost495 wrote:Been told the same thing a few times. Seems to work just fine, assuming some common sense is used. Even worked with puny cowboy loads I was warned to not use.

I also suspect it has a lot to do with distance limitations and shot placement, and the fact that I haven't taken anything over say 125 pounds with it yet..
Well done rost495 and as you say "common sense", that can not be bought!

You have kudos with your choice of gun as far as I'm concerned :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Congrats! and thanks for sharing. It's amazing what you can kill a deer with! :wink:
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

Locating a bullet in the right place, I recall my mentor saying his dad always took a pipe and tobacco with them on a hunt, smaller whitetails, and the 22, with a solid short. Would poke one in the ribs at say 20-30 yards around a water hole spring they had, then smoke a pipe and listen ....usually could hear the deer bleed out and thrash a bit in the ensuing minutes....

Will be getting to cast bullets to try at some point but want to slug the barrel before I custom order some. Gun has been ridden hard and put away wet....

WANT a peep SO bad, but on the worn gun I really want it to blend better, so I may have to figure out which peep, and then "distress" it some first to blend it in. Not sure if the gun actually has much real blueing left... but I love the gun. Wish I had a couple more like it, old wear and tear etc... 25-35 for some reason I have the itch for, or is it 25-30? I love the looks of that round.

Jeff
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Buck, you do recognize sarcasm don't you? ;)
Sure I do. I even used a 'smiley' in my reply... :)
Regards

Buck

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jeff maybe think about using a rear sight off of a post 64 94 to be the recipient donor for a One Ragged Hole sight for that rifle?
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

wouldnt that give me a simple open rear again instead of a peep? I have a semi buckhorn rear and man can you get to searching for the front sight at times... I"m sure its why I"ve consistently hit higher than I wanted to on everything but a javelina I shot mid day when I could see the sights really well for an offhand 50ish yard head shot.

Jeff
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well its not exactly a peep, and its not open, but does not mess with the lines of the gun or clunk up the rear of the reciever. Does allow for better accuracy than the standard rear sight tho.

One other option might be to get one of the Lyman 21 copies from Providence tool and die(think Buffalo Arms carries them?), may have to punch a hole in the side of the ol girl tho...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Never fear --- no dead deer will ever sue you for choosing one over the other... .357/.32-20/.30-30/.379 Wallsmasher Magnum...

The little .32 will do its job, within its limitations, and do it well.
Regards

Buck