OT: THIN leather gloves?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

OT: THIN leather gloves?

Post by Woodtroll »

Hello, folks,

A little off topic, but I'm looking for some very thin leather gloves (maybe deerskin?) that I could use while hunting. I am basically looking for something to hide the color of my pale white Scots-Irish-redhead hands, as that's what seems to stand out most against my neutral clothing while I'm sitting or stalking. I don't care for neoprene, camo fleece, or anything of that sort. It needs to be thin enough to feel the trigger through.

I thought with as many different trades and lifestyles that the folks here represent, someone would have a source for some decent thin (oh, yeah, and reasonably-priced!) gloves.

Thanks, y'all take care!
Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: THIN leather gloves?

Post by BenT »

I like goatskin , but they are usually white , so that doesn't help. But nothing that a $3 bottle of leather die won't fix. They are thin and soft and are usually in the $7 range .Deer skin are good to ,but are harder to find. Most farm supply store carry goat skin.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

You might also look baseball or golf gloves.
Ricky

DWWC
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Michael Jackson just had one... sold the other day for a miniscule $355,000. Downside is that it is white... like MJ. :lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Woodtroll,

Try the following web site for nice deerskin gloves-the summer riding gloves are thin and very comfortable, but are not lined or insulated for winter use.

http://www.chilhowee.net/menssummerridinggloves.html

UncleBuck
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I have a really nice pair of thin LL Bean shooting gloves -- you can easily pick up a dime with them on -- and I'd bet that Cabela's might sell something like that too. You might find them sold as "driving gloves" too, though some styles come perforated.

I'm thinking you'll want to AVOID white or tan, and go for a darker brown.

Good huntin'.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Pick whatever gloves you like for hunting and cut the glove finger off. Then you only have to hide that finger which should be much easier. I know mine stays in my nose a lot. :D
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Regan,

The only gloves I've ever felt comfortable shooting in were actually glove liners. They are supeer thin, translucent even, polypropylene liners. They are so thin and flexible you can pick up a dime from a countertop, or open a pack of cigaretts while wearing them. you can also get a good feel for the trigger, which I've nevere been able to do with any leather glove.

As yet another advantage over leather gloves, the polypropylene lingers are not so miserably uncomfortable as leather when they get wet. They insulate even when wet and they dry fast, fast.

For years I've made a habit of wearing the polypropylene liners on my shooting hand and a leather or neoprene glove on the other, with the extra glove in a pocket in case of need.

Best of all, not only do these things keep your hands warm and allow you to feell your trigger, but they are flat out cheap. Last time I bought some, I paid way less than $5.00 per pair for them. I always keep a couple or three pair on hand so I don't run out.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Try Churchill Glove Co, Centralia, Washington State. They make all kinds of top quality gloves. I am sure you would find something there. I wear them all the time love'em.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When I hook and unhook my trailers at work I like to wear a pair of light weight gloves mainly to keep from getting dirty from road grime. I found some at one of the home store that are a stretchy nylon type backing with a light weight leather palm and fingers. Almost like a heave weight golf glove. Most standard work gloves don't come in a size big enough for my hands. The last ones I bought were green backs with light brown leather so they're almost camo on their own.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Me being as tight as a ducks @ss I adapt my gloves by putting a little slit length wise to just pop my trigger finger through :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

I like the mechanics gloves sold in places like Home depot and auto supply stores .
You can find differant thickness with some type of faux leather fingers and palms.
They are very much like a batters or golf glove though cheaper I think.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You might look at law enforcement supply houses. They will have thin leather patrol gloves. They fit tight and allow a great range of dexterity.
Old Law Dawg
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

If you have access to a military PX they are sell gloves made by Whitewater that are tan or black with thin leather palms and woven backs for shooting or you can get flight gloves the same color and a little thicker and longer. Here is the cheapest place to get them I have dealt with.

http://softsearch.lapolicegear.com/soft ... submit.y=4
It is not the critic who counts
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I wear the insulated camo fingerless gloves with the attached mitten portion that folds over to cover the finger-tips.

They work mighty well.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Golf glloves, maybe winter gloves, or possibly motorcycle riding gloves
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm fond of deerskin gloves. The best, and costliest are the ropers found at ranch/cowboy supply outfits, but good deerskin gloves can be found at hardware stores. You need to buy them about skin tight, and they stretch a little with use. You don't want them to be loose or have wrinkles. I try all in that particular size range, as they vary from pair to pair in fit.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

You need the ones like OJ likes they are "KILLER"
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I discovered “police search” gloves made by a company called “Hatch”.

These gloves are super thin and you could pick up a dime off a flat surface with them on. They are relatively inexpensive and I use them for summer time motorcycle gloves – but they would work perfect for your stated need. Give’m a look-see..
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

Try TIG welding gloves as well. They are very thin, I can usually pick up welding wire with them on.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Folks,

Thanks very much for the replies, especially the specific recommendations. You have certainly given me some good places to start looking. I sure do appreciate the broad interests and helpful nature of this group!

Y'all take care,
Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Mechanix military line is solid black and will protect your hand while being very tactile and flexible. I use the Impac 2 model (armored) when I was still in uniform and could pick a dropped ID off wet pavement with them on.

Hatch's Kevlar shooting gloves are the short-cuff version of aviator gloves, they'll fit inside the triggerguard of an 870 or an M16 and you can do anything you really need to while wearing them. Trigger "feel" isn't quite as good as the Mechanix but you're protected more. I wiped out 3 pairs at $25 per over 2 years of every single day all day wear.

Either would work for your purposes.