OT - What did y'all have for Thanksgiving?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

OT - What did y'all have for Thanksgiving?

Post by Doc Hudson »

We didn't go the traditional route this year. i didn't think I could face leftover turkey as long as it would take to finish off a bird. So I cooked a Beef Brisket in a Duch Oven. While that was cooking, a fixed Chicken and Cornbread Dressing, a Sweet Potato Puding, Pasta Salad, , turnips, and peas. Mom made a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

The Brisket was the tenderest I've ever eaten, much lesss cooked. And the Sweet Potato Pudding was big hit as well. I don't have the Sweet Potato Pudding recipe in the confuser, but if anyone wants it, I'll post it later.

Here is the Brisket recipe in case anyone else wants to try it.

Sweet Onion Brisket Of Beef Carbonnade
5-7 lbs. fresh beef brisket (well trimmed)
1 med. red bell pepper; finely chopped
2 tsp. dried rosemary needles
4 cloves garlic; pressed or minced
2 whole bay leaves
1 1/2 cup chili sauce (your favorite)
2 tsp. salt
1 can (12 oz.) beer (your favorite)
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup beef broth
4 lg. Walla Walla sweet onions, sliced
2 Tbs. light brown sugar
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms; sliced
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
4 ribs celery with leaves; sliced

Place the trimmed brisket, fat side up, in a 12" Dutch oven . Season with the rosemary, bay, salt and pepper. Arrange the sliced onions, mushrooms, celery (with leaves), bell pepper and garlic over the meat. In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine all of the remaining ingredients, whisk well, then pour the mixture over the top of everything in the oven. Cover and bake using 6-8 briquettes bottom and 10-12 briquettes top for 4 hours replacing briquettes every hour. Baste meat often with pan drippings.When meat is tender remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes then carve brisket against the grain in 1/4" thick slices. Serve with the pan juices and onions, etc...Note: This recipe works well when the oven is buried in hot ashes and allowed to slow cook all day.Serves: 6-8

If you want to try it in a regular oven, roast at around 325* - 350*F for about 4 hours or until internal temperature is at least 160*F. You might need to uncover it for a while to brown the brisket.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - What did y'all have for Thanksgiving?

Post by DBW »

I tooled into OKC T-Day evening. My best friend picked me up at the truckstop and took me to Hooters. A plate if yardbird, fries and a Coors was consumed. The scenery wasn't bad either. :D
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We had all the traditional fixings, and as usual I ate way too much. :D
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Alnitak hosted the family with a traditional meal and it was wonderful. I didn't gorge and am pleased about that. I hope you all had a wonderful meal and day.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While I did up some Moose steaks w/garlic & mushrooms in a wine sauce for my son, who's alergic to fowl - the rest of us gathered had: a 25lb bird; scratch-made dressing/stuffing w/sausage/giblets/etc; 5lb smashed potatoes; 4lb baked/candied Yams; 4lb baked/candied carrots; 1lb Broccolli w/Hollandaise sauce; cranberry sauce; scratch-made bread rolls; pumpkin pie; chocolate cream pie; ricotta cheese pie; cherry cheesecake; vino; and coffee.

The fixin's made all seven of us here fat/sassy & satisfied for dinner, and ready for the best of all - leftovers !

otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Cioppino w/ fresh Dungeness crab caught down the street in the bay, red snapper (rockfish), shrimp, clams and mussels in a tomato sauce w/ crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, clam juice, red wine, olive oil, minced garlic, onions, celery and carrot, basil, bay leaf. With pasta, toasty garlic bread, and a bottle of Bonny Doon Vineyard's "Big House Red."

Unbelievably delicious.
otteray
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Put a 15lb bird in the smoker all the traditional fixings. danny
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

We also had the usual, turkey, stuffing, etc. at a cousing house, which was very good, and I didn't overeat!
But today, my wonderful wifey is making us a FRESH, amish grown turkey and stuffing so there will be turkey leftovers for at least 2 days :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Smoked a prime rib off a beef I raised and fed. Rubbed the outside with a secret mix of seasonings and went to the creek by the house and cut a chunk of alder from a tree, shaved some chips with a drawknife and put her all in the smoker for about 4-5 hours. It was so good.
My motherinlaw insists on cooking a turkey no matter what. We'd smoked a ham and the prime rib. At the end of the day there wasn't a scrap of prime rib left, only a little of the smoked ham, and the whole dang turkey.
It was a good time with most of the family here and some strays.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The weather was so nice we had BBQ'd ribs and all the usual BBq fixings. Totally non traditional, but it was a nice way to say thanks for all we have, not to mention our weather.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
ab4ka
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ab4ka »

we bought ours...got a spiral sliced ham and 2qts of mac & cheese from Sonny's. Ham was so good you could put it on your head and your tongue would beat your brains out trying to get it :lol:
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

Brined and smoked a 15 lb free-range turkey, mixed bag (dove, quail, venison) gumbo, venison and squash curry, the usual sides, and some Kahlua flan.