OT- Hunters Robbed and Assaulted

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Hunters Robbed and Assaulted

Post by 86er »

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Hunters Robbed and Assaulted

Post by deerwhacker444 »

That kind of stuff scares the stuff out of me.

We used to go fishing in La Paz, Mexico down in Baja. Sometimes we would take an hour long van ride down a dusty dirt road across the desert from La Paz to a beach called Las Arenas to fish. It would have been so easy for a band of thieves to stop our van and rob or kill us and there would be little that could be done.

Although I loved the fishing, people and atmosphere, I will probably never go back to Mexico. It's just not worth it. I can get the same kind of fishing out of Venice, LA and don't have to worry about being kidnapped.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

This kind of stuff has been going on for many decades and is not likely to stop anytime soon. Many Mexican police personnel are aware of the problem and some are actively involved in it. Way back in 1973, while driving from Mazatlan up to Culiacán to shoot pigeons, we were stopped by Federales and warned not to proceed for fear of "banditos". We had only shotguns and certainly did not want any gunfights in MX, so we reluctantly returned to Maz. No hunting that time, we had to make do with Dorado, Marlin and Sailfish. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Those guys got off easy. I'm very surprised they didn't kill'em. The wars between the drug cartels themselves and then between the cartels and Mexico's government is very real. And the arrogance to think they would be safe just because it hadn't happened to a group of hunters before is plain flawed thinking. I've never been to Mexico and I don't plan on going. Until the country stabilizes it's going to be a mess for everyone. And with our economy taking a hit I'm sure their's really is.
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Several Dallas Woods and Waters members hunt there multiple times per year, so I sent this to them.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I thought firearms were strictly forbidden down there?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Nope, you can have firearms legally but there are NUMEROUS restrictions on what you may have and what calibers.

Frankly, FWIW the state department or whoever should issue a travel advisory against Americans traveling to Mexico. That should get their attention. I do realize that the situation is a bit more complex than that.

Myself, I have no intention of going to Mexico or getting anywhere near the border.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Until about 20 yrs ago, it was very easy to transport SHOTGUNS and shells into Mexico. All that was required was a letter from the COP or Sheriff in you area. What has always been an issue are handguns, especially that use any "military" caliber cartridge. .45 ACP and 9mm have been illegal for decades. You DO NOT want to get caught with even one of these cartridges, let alone the gun that they fit. Maybe that's why the .38 Super has been very popular down there.
We still travel in Mexico, Baja California Sur mostly. No banditos, no problemo, señor.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

A bunch of us used to haul boats, RV's and such down to Bahia de Los Angeles a spent a month or so (different folks coming and going a time allow them) every year. Simply put, we quit. One problem on that fairly isolated highway down there too many. Local, heck even mexican federal authorities were of no use. We figured one or more of them was probably supplementing their income in this manner. Basically our opinion became that should mexican tourism got totally belly up, the sooner the better. We shed not a tear when the flu hit.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Things really havent changed much in the last 120 years there, have they? Reads basicly just like a old west novel or actual accounts in the 1800s! When I was young, wild and dumb I used to go down there. Got in close encounters then too, but truthfully bars etc were involved. I remember once a old american couple were buying gas. The guy put in a couple bucks worth then demanded some exorbinant ammount. When the old american started a fuss the attendant pulled out a cigarette lighter and stood leaning in the car with the gas nozzel in hand. Some down there get more pleasure out of cheating you out of a dime than makeing a legal dollar. I will also say I had some dealings with nice people there too. Its a shame how relatively few can ruin a entire country. Its a bribe system down there.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

kimwcook wrote:Until the country stabilizes it's going to be a mess for everyone. And with our economy taking a hit I'm sure their's really is.
When our dollar collapses we will be Mexico. I haven't lost anything down there, no desire to go.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I went to Mexico 5 times in my college days. Once during white wing season. I had a blast the first four times. The last time I had to escape from the Matamoras jail and I wouldn't go back now for any reason. It is a long story but remember one thing, you don't take the Constitution with you outside of the good old U.S.A.!
"That'll Be The Day"
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

rangerider7 wrote:I went to Mexico 5 times in my college days. Once during white wing season. I had a blast the first four times. The last time I had to escape from the Matamoras jail and I wouldn't go back now for any reason. It is a long story but remember one thing, you don't take the Constitution with you outside of the good old U.S.A.!

True. Even though I hold dual citizenship while in Canada, I never am as relieved as I am when I get back here. Even my wife is beginning to appreciate the freedom here in the states as she begins to notice the diiferences between here and her native Canada.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The problem here is that they don't fear the gringo enough.

We need to change that.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

rangerider7 wrote:The last time I had to escape from the Matamoras jail and I wouldn't go back now for any reason.
Oh,..I have got to know more...! You can't throw a teaser out there like that and not start a thread...!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Nope. Texas 'll just have to do. (And it does quite nicely!)
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flounderjig »

I was born in Del Rio, 53 years ago, 3 miles from Mexico. During high school we spent Saturday night in Acuna, partying till the wee hours of the morning and usually walked back across the border after stopping at the federales shack and then the US Border patrol station. Now I bowhunt around the lake out there some years. I will not venture across, too many difficulties down there now. Anyone with a brain will stay out. You have kidnappings, beheadings and that is just the bad guys. Take a look at El Paso/Larado and the problems they are having there. It just makes sense to stay on our side. I live now about 150 miles from the border in a coastal town and we are seeing an increase in criminal activity on our own side of the border. Alot of the illegals coming across are bad people. It is not like it was 30 years ago, when illegals came to work jobs, alot of them are criminals now. Still our border is like a sieve, open to just walking across. The Border Patrol is out numbered, I email my state reps to build the "fence" and the same to our elected congressmen, nothing is done yet. Thank God and Texas for concealed carry, and I carry everywhere I can legally. If concealed carry where illegal, I would still carry, it is a Godgiven right.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

And stuff like that is why Mexico is off limits for Marines. That country was only stable when Gen. Winfield Scott was there in 1846-1848 I think it is time we refreshed their memory.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

America is turning into a nation of wusses.

Those meskins cross the border at will and have their way with any dadgummed thing they like.

A group of American wusses goes down there and gets rousted and rolled by a bunch of punks and it's "Ooooooh, don't be goin' down there, because they is lawless..."

Oh, wait. I forgot that mistreating foreigners is a "hate-crime" over here.

All together now...

"Oh, FOOEY!"

We better call the authorities. They'll do something.

:roll: :lol:
Last edited by FWiedner on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

JReed wrote:And stuff like that is why Mexico is off limits for Marines. That country was only stable when Gen. Winfield Scott was there in 1846-1848 I think it is time we refreshed their memory.
Hatemonger that I am I think we should run parallel fences with landmines between the two. I came to the US legally. My wife is going through the immigration process the legal route. It's no wonder I'm upset at our government for pandering to the illegal invaders (they are not immigrants). :evil:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rangerider7 wrote:It is a long story but remember one thing, you don't take the Constitution with you outside of the good old U.S.A.!
These days, we don't have much of it here, either... :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

DBW wrote:
JReed wrote:And stuff like that is why Mexico is off limits for Marines. That country was only stable when Gen. Winfield Scott was there in 1846-1848 I think it is time we refreshed their memory.
Hatemonger that I am I think we should run parallel fences with landmines between the two. I came to the US legally. My wife is going through the immigration process the legal route. It's no wonder I'm upset at our government for pandering to the illegal invaders (they are not immigrants). :evil:
I have no problem with immigrants all of us were at some point in our history. What we don't seem to realize is Mexico has never been a friendly nation especially after Texas gained independence. They have done all the could to help our enemy's in the past and will keep doing so in the future. The easy fix is re-invade make them a territory impose martial law until we can get the cartels under control. At least then we wont lose millions of dollars a year going south of the border from illegal's mailing it home and we gain a tax base to pay for all the social services they are using in the states now.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Something like that could never happen is Mexico has strict gun control laws!!

Hey!! Wait a minute!! Mexico have strict gun control laws!!!

I'm sorry it happened, but you can't bet a shotgun with birdshot against "assault-rifles." Thank God no one got killed.

You know, Mexico is going to loose lots of sportsmen's dollars if this becomes a regular happening.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Duuuuuuh geeeee Mexico...... and CRIME!!!! What a shock!!!

I don't understand. I have heard bad stories about Mexico since I was a child. Never went there,... it just doesn't have anything I want. And my current place is 50 mile from the border.

I am also shocked that a bunch of armed Americans were taken without one shot,... rather pathetic if you ask me. And, I don't want to hear a word about only being armed with shotguns. I have a budd who fought in 5 hot theaters/conflicts from Nam to Panama with a 20 ga. pump full of merc packs as his primary.

Anyone stupid enough to try and squeeze the cheap economy of Mexico, deserves what they get, imo.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

amen 444 with all the news for the last year about mexico those 7 honyockers should of had a plan if confronted, with that rabble driving across the field up to them they were in range of birdshot and would of scattered if dumped on riffraft aint willing to die. But nowdays with the Iam a victim attitude of most americans this will continue to happen outside and inside of our border. Please dont hurt me take my money and you can have my gun too. danny
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Here is a quote from a retired surgeon - bird hunting friend of mine:

"Charles, I gave up on Mexico a number of years ago...............There were a number of us who went down there bass fishing in RV's to the various lakes.................and then there began a "stoppage" campaign on the highways by "rogue" gangs, robbing the RV's, etc.

That was enough for me................I can fish anywhere,,,,,,,,,doesn't have to be Mexico...........plus their customs operatives were "on the take" at each checkpoint. "

Nothing new under the sun? :roll:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JReed wrote:
DBW wrote:
I have no problem with immigrants all of us were at some point in our history. What we don't seem to realize is Mexico has never been a friendly nation especially after Texas gained independence. They have done all the could to help our enemy's in the past and will keep doing so in the future. The easy fix is re-invade make them a territory impose martial law until we can get the cartels under control. At least then we wont lose millions of dollars a year going south of the border from illegal's mailing it home and we gain a tax base to pay for all the social services they are using in the states now.
Well, not exactly. While our ancestors were immigrants (and this does seem to include American Indians), those of us "born" here are "not" immigrants. We are "Native Americans". Using the term "Native Americans" to refer just to those of "American Indian" descent may be politically correct, but it isn't strictly speaking correct usage of the words.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jeepnik wrote:
JReed wrote:
DBW wrote:
Well, not exactly. While our ancestors were immigrants (and this does seem to include American Indians), those of us "born" here are "not" immigrants. We are "Native Americans". Using the term "Native Americans" to refer just to those of "American Indian" descent may be politically correct, but it isn't strictly speaking correct usage of the words.
That is why I lead with this statement. at some point in our history.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Man, are they lucky no wives or girlfriends went down with them. I hate to think what might have happened.

We don't have to worry about "invading" them again, since barry will probably make 'em all citizens to get all the "free goodies."
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am always shocked by US Citizens that venture to 3rd world countries so nievely! When you go to areas such as this, there is definately a criminal element that florishes. Recently in the news we just had pirates hi-jack numerous ships at sea. Sounds to me like a bunch of well to do gringos under estimated their presence in an impovrished area and presented themself as a valuable target. Glad to know that they lived to tell about it!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

HorseSoldier03: BINGO!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.