Federal law re possession of unregistered firearms ? ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Federal law re possession of unregistered firearms ? ?

Post by preventec47 »

I caught something fleetingly in the news the other day about
someone being charged with possession of unregistered firearms
and the mention of it being a federal law and not a local like
Chicago or New Jersey regulation.

Can anyone speak authoritatively about this ?
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Federal law re possession of unregistered firearms ? ?

Post by adirondakjack »

Except for serializing when made, and the requirement of an FFL to keep his records for BATF inspection, there is NO FEDERAL registration of ordinary firearms. Even a NICS call-in only indicated yer trying to buy A gun, not WHICH ONE.

Now if ya had firearms STOLEN from an FFL (or sold off paper by a shady FFL, where no paper exists in his files, then yeah buddy, the federales have issues with the FFL. The most famous case is the DC sniper case, where they tracked the gun back to the store because of distributors records, but it was never "papered" as being sold to anybody.......

FFLs lose licenses or go to jail if this happens too often and they are proven to be selling off books and not a victim of theft....

Now yer short barreled rifles, short shotguns, and I suppose any other class III, then yeah, they gotta be serialized and yer on record as owner, etc. same for manufacturing a gun. But ordinary small arms like ya buy from walmart or yer local regular gun shop (not class III) are not REGISTERED, and it;s perfectly legal for an INDIVIDUAL, once he owns em, to sell em face to face with NO records according to FEDERAL law. Now states and localities may impose further restrictions. In NYS for example ALL handguns (and in NYC all guns) are "registered", as the authorities have all the serial numbers, and all the handguns appear on a CCW permit, etc.
Last edited by adirondakjack on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Possibly class 3 weapons????

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

After seeing/hearing news reports about the use of assault knives, I would NEVER rely on ANYTHING I heard on "the news", as being truthful. :roll:

I DO wish that a type of Imodium was made for what DOES come out of the mouths of the talking heads, though. ;)

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Pete44ru wrote:After seeing/hearing news reports about the use of assault knives, I would NEVER rely on ANYTHING I heard on "the news", as being truthful. :roll:

I DO wish that a type of Imodium was made for what DOES come out of the mouths of the talking heads, though. ;)

These talking heads get their info watching CSI Miami, where they not only have a database that tracks every gun, but can get instant ballistic matchs on every gun AND send Horatio in his Hummer, 3 cruisers, and a helicopter and FIND the guy in less time than you can scoop some Ben & Jerry's and get back to the show. Impressive nany state these fantasy folks live in......
Certified gun nut
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

Also, most of the talking heads live in Urban areas with absurd and obscene anti-gun/gun registration laws.

You can't imagine how hard it has been for me to convince some of these Michiganders now living in Wyoming that they do NOT have to "register" their handguns with the local Sherriff...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!