Federal Premium "Nosler Partition" ammo ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Federal Premium "Nosler Partition" ammo ?

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Has anyone tried the Federal Nosler Partition ammo or done any test on it for target or hunting? I'm just wondering if it's worth $30.00 for a box of 20 compared to there Federal 170 gr. power shok soft point RN for $9.27 a box. I know some of this advertising is hype but they could also have a special product with this ammo. I would just like to know what it is that makes this Nosler so special and expensive. Mike
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Mike, Federal Premium loaded with Noslers is some of the finest big game ammo available to non-reloaders. The added margin of confidence and penetration these bullets can provide can be merely a "warm fuzzy" or a show stopper/life saver. These bullets, first manufactured to help prevent bullet seperation and failure on large game animals were the first true expanding bullet that could be counted on for critical uses as in large game or big game that bites back. The bullet expands quickly, but because of the design will not fail and ALWAYS penetrates well on CXP2 and 3 game and is rarely recovered due to exiting. Sorry to be so long winded, but the decision as to IF they are needed or worth the extra cost, lies with you. Generally speaking, bullets for deer sized game do not NEED to be this well constructed. Bullets for larger game...elk, moose, large bears and any number of large game foriegn to most American hunters is where this bullet, in proper caliber, shines! There are a lot of new "interbond", "interlock" and "X" type bullets for sale and use now. These are premium bullets and generally well made. There is no better bullet for most standard and critical hunting situations than the Nosler Partition, in my opinion. So, is it needed by the typical American deer hunter...no! Would I prefer to have a 125-180 gr partition bullet loaded in a rifle in 6.5 - .30 cal on my deer hunt of a lifetime, for that extra edge? YES!!
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

edsGuns, Thank you for that informative answer and that's just what I was looking for in info. I have taken several black Bear over the years but only one with a gun (30-30 Winchester trapper) and many Deer and other critters with guns and the rest was with a longbow. Also have helped a few friends take a Bear with there Winchesters and watched them as they dropped there Bear.Some of us use Winchester 170 gr. ammo and some used federal and all had good results. Two we did have to track a ways but that was due to the fact that there was no blood trail because there was no exit hole. The ammo did it's job when it comes to expansion but without an exit hole from a Bear they are not easy to track in heavy brush. The long hair and fat holds the blood It sounds like buying a box of the partition ammo for hunting season would be a good idea. Thanks again for the reply and the info, Mike
dawei

Post by dawei »

There are several advantages to the Federa®l Premium™ Nosler® Partition Ammunition; not the least of which is printing to the same exact zero as the Federal® Power Shok™ 170gr load. The Premiums are my load of choice for Black Bear & when my 30/30 serves as a backup weapon during elk season. Money well spent IMHO.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Thanks David. Now I'm trying to find somone in south central WV who carries it or can order me a box or two. Mike
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I would just like to know what it is that makes this Nosler so special and expensive.]

That sounds like the right decision, Mike - Nosler has been the Gold Standard, for premium bullets for over 50 years.
AkHunter45-70
Levergunner

Post by AkHunter45-70 »

Have put many a moose and deer on the ground using Federal Premium Noslers, they are all I shoot out of my bolts rifles. I imagine they would be just as effective in a levergun.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

[quote="AkHunter45-70"]Have put many a moose and deer on the ground using Federal Premium Noslers, they are all I shoot out of my bolts rifles. I imagine they would be just as effective in a levergun.

It's my understanding that they are really one heck of a 30-30 bullet for Bear, Moose or Elk. I'm not rich by any means and I would stick with the old stand by for me and that's either 170 gr Winchester Power-Point or the Federal Power-Shok . The Federals are $9.27 at my Wal-mart and are great shooting out of my Trapper. Dropped many deer and other critters with both of them by have never tried the Partition Loads.
Earlier today I emailed the Federal sales rep for this area and he gave me the name and number of a Rod and Gun store not far from me who carries the Partitions. I will be going there next week-end if they have them in stock. Mike

Pete44U, I just started to read an artical about them and the guy who invented the bullet when my wife called me for dinner. Now I have to find it again and if I do I will post the link here. Mike
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

OK , Here is a link to Federals site and some good info on there ammo.
http://www.federalcartridge.com/default ... s2=1&sec=3
The only thing that bothers me is that the Nosler Partition looks like it comes to a sharp point. If this is the case will it be safe to carry in my Winchester 94 tube or will I have to just carry one in the chamber and one in the tube? Mike PS Here's another :
http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballist ... ullet_id=9
Last edited by Mike-in-WV on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AkHunter45-70
Levergunner

Post by AkHunter45-70 »

Mike-in-WV, if the Powerpoints and Power-Shoks are putting meat in the freezer for you now then I wouldn't bother with the NP's. Bullet placement afterall is the key to success when it comes to putting game on the ground, which I am sure you are already know. I've been using the NP's for about 18 years or so and since i've had very good performance from them I didn't see a need to change. Now with the GG I plan on hunting with I will be using something totally new and different to me but I do know they are very effective on big game.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

AkHunter45-70 wrote:Mike-in-WV, if the Powerpoints and Power-Shoks are putting meat in the freezer for you now then I wouldn't bother with the NP's. Bullet placement afterall is the key to success when it comes to putting game on the ground, which I am sure you are already know. I've been using the NP's for about 18 years or so and since i've had very good performance from them I didn't see a need to change. Now with the GG I plan on hunting with I will be using something totally new and different to me but I do know they are very effective on big game.
The Power-Shoks and the Power-Points have both been great for me but from what I have been reading about the Partitions they would be great for Bear and maybe a better blood trail. I'm the first one to believe that what some of these companies feed us is hype but the partition seems to have a lot of people with experience backing it. Guess it can't hurt to try it on a Bear and see how it does. :) Mike
AkHunter45-70
Levergunner

Post by AkHunter45-70 »

NP's like to leave big wound channels and that's what you want when bear hunting, lots of damage and preferably, broken shoulders/spine. Take out their wheels and they are going nowhere fast. Nothing's more dangerous than tracking a wounded bear in the brush. There's an old saying up here that goes, "WHen hunting bears, you keep shooting until they stop moving", that probably applies more towards grizz/brown bears but IMO should apply to blacks also.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Yep, Blacks need allot of respect too just like there big cousins. I have had several close calls over the years that I can laugh about now but they weren't funny back then. The strength, speed and intelligence of a Bear has to be seen to be appreciated by the average person. I set in a stand one time for 14 hours because a sow with three cubs would not let me leave :cry: :lol: Mike
AkHunter45-70
Levergunner

Post by AkHunter45-70 »

I had one try and come up onto my treestand with me and my son, scared the bejeesuz out of us both but I think I scared him more cause he almost killed himself trying to get off that tree. Bears sure are a lot of fun to hunt but you got to show them some respect.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[The only thing that bothers me is that the Nosler Partition looks like it comes to a sharp point. If this is the case will it be safe to carry in my Winchester 94 tube ]

The Nosler .30 Caliber 170 Gr. Partition Round Nose is correct for the .30-30.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

premium ammo

Post by brucew44guns »

I guess I''ve tended to shoot targets with less expensive ammo, and hunt with the premium stuff. But of late, I have been persuaded to have good confidence in the Power Shocks for my 30:30's, good and excellent ammo for deer hunting as we do here in my part of Kansas. They don't cost a small fortune either. I've also turned to Leverevolution for the 45:70's and 450 Marlin, as well as 444 Marlin, no experience yet to have an opinion.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Thanks Pete! Mike
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Bear I took in 2004 in West Virginia. Tracked this Bear all summer! It was #355 gutted. We had one kill my neighbors dog last fall. Came right up on the porch and got him. Mike
dawei

Post by dawei »

Mike-in-WV wrote:OK , Here is a link to Federals site and some good info on there ammo.
http://www.federalcartridge.com/default ... s2=1&sec=3
The only thing that bothers me is that the Nosler Partition looks like it comes to a sharp point. If this is the case will it be safe to carry in my Winchester 94 tube or will I have to just carry one in the chamber and one in the tube? Mike PS Here's another :
http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballist ... ullet_id=9
Not to worry Mike, the 30/30 Nosler® Premium™is the same Power Shok™ RN but with the Partition!
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Thanks David, The pictures I've seen make them look a Little more pointed than the RN. Can't wait to try a couple! Mike
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Nosler History

Post by edsguns »

For those who might be interested there is a very good article in the Jan. 08 Peterson's "Hunting" magazine about some history behind the Nosler Partition bullet and also a nostalgiac hunt using old partition bullets and rifles for Yukon moose and caribou wriiten by Layne Simpson. It's a good read.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Thanks Ed, I'll look up that article. I just talked to one of the sales reps for Federal and he told me not to use the Partition in my Winchester 94. They do have a sharp point on them. Speer makes a round nose Partition in 30-30 for reloading . Guess I'll just have to go look at them in person and make up my mind. :? Mike