Marlin 39A firing pin woes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin 39A firing pin woes

Post by JeffG »

Hi, Just tried to shoot my bargain Marlin (1971 39A)for the first time...dropped the hammer and nothing happened. I was trying .22 long cb caps, so I figured the odd ammo caused the problem. I cycled the cartridge out, it ejected fine, with the bullet intact. No dimple on the base of the cartridge, so I cycled the action again (no cartridge this time)...as I pointed the muzzle down to look at the hammer mechanism, the firing pin just slid into the bolt...

Now I'm no gunsmith but I'm assuming the firing pin should have some sort of spring that holds it back so the hammer can push it in. It shouldn't just slide forward and back depending on the muzzle being down or up...right?

My exploded parts diagram (for a newer model) didn't really tell me anything (see above gunsmithing disclaimer)...so, advice is welcomed.
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The firing does float in the bolt. Is the tip broken off?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

There is no spring, and yes the firing pin can fall up and down on a 39A if it fits loosely enough in the groove in the bolt, but that is not your problem.

More then likely the problem is that the firing pin has broken. And some of it might even be missing. Sometimes a broken firing pin will still stay together enough that the gun will fire, buy then sometimes not. And if it was broken and the action dissasembled, the smaller piece on the end next to the bullet might have even fell out unnoticed, only to start missfiring after reassembly.

This is the one possible weakness belonging to the 39A. They are known for breaking firing pins. It's not a big problem, but it must happen more often then you might think, because here you are with this problem and you are not the first one to experience it.

Back in the very early 80's both my brother in law and I purchased brand new 39A's within a few months of each other. We both shot a lot back then but it wasn't an excessive amount for a .22 by any means. Both of our guns developed broken firing pins. I purchased some new firing pins from a local gunsmith, he actually kept them in stock, and I purchased extras and drilled a hole in the buttstock of both of my 39s, that I owned at the time, and wraped a spare firing pin in waxed paper and hid it behind the butt plate, just in case I ever got out somewhere and had one break.

Neither of us ever had another firing pin break on the 39's, so at the time we figured that maybe Marlin just had a bad run of firing pins, but the gunsmith kept them in stock, so aparently we were not the only ones to have a problem.

It's no big deal to fix as long as you have another firing pin. You can change one out in 10 minutes. They just slip in the groove in the bolt, and of course the 39 takes down really eaisly.

I ended up trading both of my 39's off and didn't own a 39 for several years, so I eventually sold my extra firing pins ( I had several) to a gun parts dealer at a gunshow. He knew exactly what they were and actually gave me a profit for them. Now, I wish I had kept a couple, because I now own a really sweet comerative 39M. But who knows, I may never break another firing pin. That dealer still sets up a gunshow, so I may purchase one back from him next time I see him at a show, just in case.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

About 5 years ago I bought a very used 39a made in 1967. I have since put over 25,000 rounds thru it and it has never stuttered. I think maybe the idea of a bad run of firing pins may be correct, I know several people who shoot theirs as much or more than I do and have never heard of a broken firing pin until just now. Anyway, just get a new pin and drop in it and you troubles will be over.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My well used Mountie, Serial # unk, but well worn in 1965, had a one piece fireing pin that broke on me several times....I was a kid and dry fired thousands of targets in front of the tv every month.......No spring in the bolt...not a space to see......the firing pin rested on or nearly so, on the the bullet......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

.22 rf guns are not to be dry fired, as breaking ANY rimfire firing pin is common when dry firing. I've never heard of the 39a having a "weak" or firing pin problem!
The design has been around since 1891 with vitually no changes, and if there was a problem they surely would have changed the design! I've got old 1891 and 1892 Marlins that use the same design, and still have never had a firing pin changed.
Drop a new one in and forget about it, as long as you don't dry fire it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Back in the early 70's I had a 39A and I replace the ejector 3 times in two years and then sold it. Never had any problems with the firing pin. Mike
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Broke one-made one

Post by bcp »

Broke a firing pin about 1957-8 and filed a new one from a flat section out of a steel t-post. It is still working.

Bruce
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

marlinman93 wrote:.22 rf guns are not to be dry fired, as breaking ANY rimfire firing pin is common when dry firing. I've never heard of the 39a having a "weak" or firing pin problem!
The design has been around since 1891 with vitually no changes, and if there was a problem they surely would have changed the design! I've got old 1891 and 1892 Marlins that use the same design, and still have never had a firing pin changed.
Drop a new one in and forget about it, as long as you don't dry fire it!
That's true, you don't want to dryfire it on purpose. However, a heavy plinker will often run a 39A dry, when doing a lot of shooting, so it's unreasonable to assume that it won't ever get dry fired. Those firing pins used to be pretty cheap, so when you order one, get a spare if you plan on keeping the rifle. You may never need it, but you know the old saying, it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

years ago I had at least one Marlin Mountie firing pin break. I'll soon be sending a spare I've had around for years to the buyer.

no dry-firing is good advice.

Don McCullough
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

Thanks guys, I contacted Chas Jones (http://www.chasjonesgunparts.citymax.co ... 498048.htm) and he's sending me a couple new ones. There was a pre-1975 and post 1975 choice...what changed about the 39A in 1975?
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein