The Simple Life

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gglass
Levergunner

The Simple Life

Post by gglass »

Now this is living as it was in the 19th century... Could you do it? I would guess not if you are able to see this post. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDz6lgDi ... r_embedded
"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Simple Life

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks for sharing that! For many of us here, that would be the high life indeed.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great Post! I'm GREEN with envy, that couple have it all. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Enjoyed that, thanks :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I like it and could do it,but would probably end up being by myself! (at least for a while) :D

No, second thought------ I would miss you guys too much! :oops: :D
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I give'em credit for doing what they want to do and loving every minute of it. Few of us have the ability or the courage to do that. I have the skills to live like that because that's pretty close to how I grew up, but I like my creature comforts to much to give it up all the way.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's why I subscribe to Countryside Magazine. http://countrysidemag.com/

You might find it worth the subscription. Good winter reading, PLUS lots of practical ideas and articles.

Actually I look forward to it more than most of the 'gun' magazines I get.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

+1 (I also get that! Very good reading.) :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

awesome, I have to agree with them. I am looking for a location to put up a place to do just that, live more simply. some land, a cabin, raise some crops for food and feed, raise some chickens, hunt and fish for the rest, cook over a wood stove, live off the grid. Been designing a cabin that is self sufficient, low imprint and easy to build. Once I find the land, I plan to build the cabin myself. Thanks for the post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

As appealing as that is in concept, I'd have to be closer to a reliable water source. That is some damnably inhospitable terrain out there.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Nope, not for me. Been too close to that lifestyle a few times to want it. I just can't imagine using a cook stove there in the summer.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That would work for me. Now the wife not so much I would end up being by my self out there.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Less is more. Great story of decent folk.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It'd be tough... but spent many years visiting relatives in East Tennessee that lived just like that. Tough givin' up my satellite TV though! And the 'puter... what'd I do for entertainment, without all you characters?? :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Griff wrote:It'd be tough... but spent many years visiting relatives in East Tennessee that lived just like that. Tough givin' up my satellite TV though! And the 'puter... what'd I do for entertainment, without all you characters?? :twisted:
Go SHOOTING! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

rjohns94 wrote: I am looking for a location to put up a place to do just that, live more simply. some land, a cabin, raise some crops for food and feed, raise some chickens, hunt and fish for the rest, cook over a wood stove, live off the grid. Been designing a cabin that is self sufficient, low imprint and easy to build. Once I find the land, I plan to build the cabin myself. Thanks for the post.
We think alike!

I am living exactly that way right now. A small 3 room cabin I build for my wife and myelf on 8.6 acres, a huge garden, we raise chickens, a couple hogs per year, a 1/2 dozen turkeys, kill elk and deer behind the cabin, fish in the creek 100' below the house, cook on a woodstove IN THE WINTER (barbeque and cook on a campstove in the heat of the summer!) and we are OFF THE GRID :D :D

When I want to watch TV or get on the computer, I just start up my little honda generator, hook up to the satellite and voila, here I be!

Even my wife who loves to be pampered in every way absolutely adores our way of life :o So blamed quiet and peaceful. I call our little piece of heaven 'Solitude'.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

When you say hook up to the satellite(what type)is it like a Dish TV network you pay for monthly?

You for sure can live pretty darn cheap owning some land and living that type simple life. Though some certain comforts are nice.(especially if you guys are working a job)say not retired and such.(but again they still are nice then)

A point I would like to make is you can live a pretty much simple life in town, if people plan it out.I have some relatives that are extremely frugal(both have recently retired) Now their house is immaculate,there car is immaculate(paid for) but they are FRUGAL! They do not "own a credit card"/they have a smaller "very nice/very effcient home" and all the wood in the house such as trim/furniture/doors/floors etc.this guy hand makes.Everything is carved with designs etc. but they clip coupons/heat with natural gas(avg gas bill including winter @ $42 month)Buy a half beef from a local farmer and vaccum seal everything as well as can stuff.They get all their years vegtables from that farmer as well and vaccum freezes the stuff.They have the biggest super effecient huge commercial chest freezer(which has a special enclosed carved super insulated little house for it. :lol: Looking at the freezer from the outside of it,it looks like a wooden carved huge fancy chest.They do not buy anything they dont pay cash for and then they make it last forever.They live very well within their means and SAVE/SAVE/SAVE.

Guess what I am trying to say its a total life living/or changing event. Some people that THINK they will do that will first move out in the country "going into debt buying raw land/maybe with a home/etc" still want the comfort things after about a few months of "roughing it" and end up losing it all or taking a big beating.Think very carefully before taking that step and first practice getting your act together in town and see what changes you can actually live with! Just moving out in the boonies might not cut it.

I mean,ya I could just move back to my other place/use an outhouse/burn the firewood/eat all venison and spend about $20 on electric???? But I will be living without the family,because they would not live like that.Me, I could but hey I like the creature comforts too,but we do keep things in check though.
As far as building a home on raw land??? Me, If I am going that route it would be an Amish "A frame Shed they make/sell The Big One(about $5-$6K)then super insulate it and heat it with a pelonis disc furnace(about $25@month)would have a outhouse.The A frames floor would have 2-3" of styrofoam sheeting underneath floor and on walls/ceiling then sheetrocked.It would sit on about 24" of gravel.( would be moveable if need be)

OR

Dig in the side of my mountain and make a underground(earth shelter home)I have already tried that one on the wife :lol: ,but wife says you spend enough time in the ground after you die" :lol: See,I cant win!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

If I heard right, they live 50+ miles from a town?

How do they get any needed supplies? Seems like that would a long ridew on a horse.

How well would they cope with a life threatening situation or injury and needed help....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Ray Newman wrote:If I heard right, they live 50+ miles from a town?

How do they get any needed supplies? Seems like that would a long ridew on a horse.

How well would they cope with a life threatening situation or injury and needed help....
If you notice at the end he say's if he had to give up his horse "or his truck" the truck would go.

While I don't live, and don't want to live, as basic as that. I have my own little 125 year old farmhouse on a few acres that we are starting to "homestead" up. 75% of our heat is wood, I'm looking into a couple solar water heaters, hunt, fish, etc etc.

If I had my choice the satilite would be gone and internet usage for our familiy would be greatly curtailed. But sometimes I don't have much say around here. Have to pick my fights.

LK
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

I sure enjoyed that. Thank you. My Beth and I are not quite that simplified but close. It is good getting old with the love of your life. Keeping life simple leaves much more time for holdin hands and such...

May God continue to bless them.

My best,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That was good. I liked that. I think the only concern I would have is that the grass was pretty dadgummed sparse for livestock. Those Longhorns must be able to survive on the promise of rain someday, and sunburnt clumps of grass.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote:When you say hook up to the satellite(what type)is it like a Dish TV network you pay for monthly?
Yes. We went with Wildblue.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I am getting a quote on the 16X30 model on below site.

http://www.dutchhomestead.com/
click on ----A-Frame Its the A-Frame Dormer w/porch one only in 16X30 :D

A-Frame Shed, 14' x 30', Cream Vinyl Exterior, Arch. Dual Brown Shingles, White Trim, Two 9-Lite Doors, White, Green, No Cupola, 12 Inch Higher Walls, 12inch OC Joist, Extra Door, Treated Plywood, Dormer, 8 x 8 Vent, Roll Ridge Vent, Porch, Diamond Door Plate,

Now, I really want it a half mile up in my woods????? :D :mrgreen: I have a good logroad???
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Below is what you requested. We will get back to you soon with
pricing!

Date : 16 Nov 2009 - 19:30
Order ID : 9611358

Payment by Other

Product : Quantity
A-Frame Shed, 14' x 30', Cream Vinyl Exterior, Arch. Dual Brown Shingles, White
Trim, Two 9-Lite Doors, White, Green, No Cupola, 12 Inch Higher Walls, 12inch OC
Joist, Extra Door, Treated Plywood, Dormer, 8 x 8 Vent, Roll Ridge Vent, Porch,
Diamond Door Plate, : 1

UT OH! Hope i didnt already order that sucker???????? :o :( :shock: :cry: :oops:
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That ain't far from my boyhood home. I still spend time in that country when I can, usually a bit every summer.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

madman4570 wrote:I am getting a quote on the 16X30 model on below site.

http://www.dutchhomestead.com/
click on ----A-Frame Its the A-Frame Dormer w/porch one only in 16X30 :D

A-Frame Shed, 14' x 30', Cream Vinyl Exterior, Arch. Dual Brown Shingles, White Trim, Two 9-Lite Doors, White, Green, No Cupola, 12 Inch Higher Walls, 12inch OC Joist, Extra Door, Treated Plywood, Dormer, 8 x 8 Vent, Roll Ridge Vent, Porch, Diamond Door Plate,

Now, I really want it a half mile up in my woods????? :D :mrgreen: I have a good logroad???
Sentence below ----a reply from builder!
Levi Stoltzfus http://www.dutchhomestead.com Ph#610-593-5994 Sir, Price on 14x30 Shed is 5500.00, PLUS Delivery fee 2.95@ Loaded mile from Gap,Pa. Thank-You!

Go back and look again what he is building,thats a gosh darn completed shell of a house!
I am speechless :o :shock: There is no way I could build that place for $5500???? I mean that is a actual unfinished darn house.I even included options like a foot extra height,ridge vent,treated plywood????
Two people could finish that inside(leave most open(kitchen/living room/etc.less interior walls.Even I could finish that house. Wonder what a 2 car garage also is?????????

They even will bring that darn thing all the way from Gap, Pa/set it up/ for $700 :lol: :roll: :o :D :mrgreen: HOW?????????
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Gap is less than 30 mins from my house. I have seen their work, you would be well pleased.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mike, Did you see the actual one I am looking at??????????????

These are selling ones like that one, the outside look just like that "of course finished inside" up here some senior developement centers for $135,000 on a "leased tiny lot" that they chrage the old people $350@ month just for the lot???????????

Now lets see???? Rynone Kitchen and Bath up here have a full kitchen w/appliances including tax for $3300
http://www.rynonekb.com/Products/Curren ... fault.aspx
I have seen that kitchen,its the type a lot of contractors put in the new ranch homes.i

How much to carpet that place(Lowes has deals free pad/install)???

Now that is a project that would be fun, give daughter our place and move mom and me in the little one. :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

They usually have several to show, not sure if it was that size. quality work.
Mike Johnson,

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

ya, we are looking to move back to our place in country "permanent residence" and sell our town place.(now that daughter is in College)(neighbor already wants to buy it)it just bugs me living in town though it is very nice here in some ways.I do have a hang up with having to pay $300 instead of $20 to hunt at my own place because my D.L. is Pa! That would fix that.Its just the principal that bugs me.Anyway this year the wife wants everthing changed up there and I am letting a bunch of her Relatives hunt (this year???? :wink: )She said to them only this year. I will be working up there but inside changing things(that dont need changing???????) Next year,I should be up there permanant and paying my $20 for my hunting.
Soon as I get up there, I am buying a lifetime license(should have done that the first time :roll: )Probably should see about a lifetime Pa license now.(I might hunt Pa this year on Cahill Mounatin???
Anyway thanks for the info Mike!
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've been reading this off and on, just looked at the link,....

Then again, theres thngs like this available, its a bit more money, but complete. Probably not practical to transport across the country, but for the west it can be done. It's also designed so that an extra room can be added simply on the side.

http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/tt20 ... ainCabins/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

COOL!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I guess I get to set off the flame wars again. The shining mountain cabin has a serious flaw: there is a vapor barrier on both sides of the stud walls. that's a sure and certain recipe for disaster. there should be one vapor barrier on the wall, and a path for vapor to egress the building. otherwise the wall will rot AND develop mold due to trapped moisture.

The other critical part is the roof system. You often see roofs insulated like the walls in the picture, with visquine vapor barrier trapping moisture against the underside of the deck and rafters. Another no-no for longevity.

Proper ventilation is one of the most critical factors affecting building comfort and longevity.

Lots of houses are built this way, but that doesn't mean it's good construction practice.

You cannot stop moisture from entering wall and ceiling and floor spaces, but you can control where it goes and what it does to the house.

I love the looks and the potential of that cabin. It would be great fun on a small barge. What a hunting, fishing, trapping, prospecting camp that would be!

Regards,

Grizz
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Grizz,

Interesting stuff! Hey, now when I had the other place built (13years ago) (ya,I know the wife wants it all changed??)anyway,the outside looks like a Colonial two story but is a tri level ranch style ---------I had them build a walkout basement(frostwall)which looks like the ground floor first story when driving up.I remeber they used Tyvek on both inside prior to sheetrock and outside against the 3/4 plywood wall sheathing prior to sidingl. I asked them about this and they told me they put the Tyvek facing one direction and on inside wall it faces the other way allowing moisture to escape????????? :?:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Madman,

that's a new wrinkle I wasn't aware of. I'll have to check up on it.

the info I posted came from my Alaskan neighbor who is a very experienced house carpenter and he was taught by an old time master carpenter. it's hand-me-down info that coincides with my own observations of my own house.

my house in alaska is now just a vacation place for us and it sits unheated most of the year. There's a 6 square foot attic opening that I leave wide open, and large gable vents under the ridge each end. everything inside stays dry and so far unaffected by the 12 feet of rain that the roof sheds annually.

thanks for the info on the tyvek, I'm going to check that out. but, the observation I made of that neat cabin was that they had plastic inside. stupid me, I did the same thing on some of my walls, didn't know any better and took the advice of someone who didn't know what he was talking about.

my opinion for a seasonal type building, which any building can become during it's service life, is that plywood interior paneling is far better for strength and durability. I think the fireproofing effect of sheetrock is overrated, and it's easier to prevent fires or to alarm them than to rely on sheetrock for a few seconds to escape a fire. the house fires I've fought always turned into a major effort to keep the fire from spreading rather than any chance of saving the structure. a controlled burn is about the best we get in the wilderness.

Grizz
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

You make some very good points Grizz! :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Funny, when I think of an "A-frame" I think of an entirely different framing and support system. Around here, an "A-frame" will be a pole-foundation, most times, unless it is really small and on skids or something. The poles being in-ground at one end, and tied to a common central rafter at the other, makes for a VERY wind-proof structure, albeit fairly tall typically for it's size. The high-pitch roofs shed snow well, and aren't as 'critical' about leaks as flatter ones, as well.

Those little cabins are nice looking, but look like "conventional frame" to me.

But then again, I'm not a 'builder' so I may not know proper terminology - I just grew up in the country, and built barns and sheds (and later, my house) on my own.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJ, No its funny because when I first stated an A -frame,I was thinking like you an A Frame type.
Like the tee-pee triangle type.They build them in Geneva and Dundee,Ny like that.
Then I saw this 16X30 Ranch w/porch with the high walls and thought that also is kind of nice.

I do have a 12X20 and a 12X16 High Barn type the Amish built for my lawn stuff up there, and a little 10X16 down here that matches our house. Down here we have a big garage I will miss. :(