O/T: RIP The Buell Motorcycle Co.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

O/T: RIP The Buell Motorcycle Co.

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, its amazing how much can change in 3 weeks. On October 15th Harley Davidson announced the closure of the Buell Motorcycle Company, its subsidiary. Erik Buell, the company founder, was a former Harley engineer who went solo and started his own company in 1983 making sport bikes with Harley Sportster engines. His company was eventually bought by Harley and the bikes have been sold through Harley dealerships since. Erik's bikes were different right from the start and represent one man's vision of what a motorcycle should be. Unfortunately, the air-cooled V-twin engined bikes were never accepted that well by the media because the modified Harley engines, while a great deal of fun to ride, did not make horsepower numbers that were competitive with cutting-edge Japanese and Italian sport bikes; none of which prevented Buell's from developing a cult-following of interesting and unique people who ride them. Buell's are known most of all for their phenomenal handling that combined with their “grunty” motors make them very fast on the street. In 2008 Buell developed a proprietary engine with the help of Rotax, an Austrian company that builds engines for a number of European brands. These new water-cooled V-twin engines, that were tuned for the broadest spread of power and not “peak” horsepower, finally made the company competitive with other brands but then the entire world economy began to flounder and bike sales worldwide suffered immensely. Harley sales plummeted as well as other brands (Yamaha has announced the upcoming closure of 3 factories and Suzuki N.A. just laid-off their entire PR department). Harley had to make a decision on how to survive into the future and they could not sell Buell as a company without giving up too many of Harley's manufacturing and business practices. So, the Buell Company has been discontinued right after winning their first championship in racing and right when their product had achieved an new level of performance and technology. Harley has been offering huge incentives to dealerships to sell remaining stock and has agreed to continue to make parts and honor warranties for at least 7 years and after that there are companies like “American Sportbike”, owned by my friend Al Lighton, who will continue to provide parts well into the future even if Harley will not.

Suffice to say, I bought one October 24th to be a “stable mate” to my '09 Harley Street Bob since there would not be another chance to own this unique piece of Americana new off the show room floor ever again. I thought I would share with you all some of the unique features of the water-cooled Buell 1125 CR (for Cafe Racer) that I purchased and was only produced for 1 ½ years.

As can be seen in this front ¾ photo, the twin radiators are mounted on the side of the frame and are mounted on leaf springs to protect the bike frame in the event of a crash. By not locating the radiator in front of the engine it could be mounted further forward for better weight distribution. The air passes through the radiators and the hot air is directed through the frame to exit by the rear fender. The rear single shock was mounted off-center to allow for better escape of the heated air.

Here is the bike in profile. Buell's have always mounted the exhausts under the engine for better “mass centralization” that makes for better handling. The very wide and rigid aluminum frame spars are also the gas tank and it holds over 5 gallons of fuel. This allows the space where the gas tank is usually placed to be a huge airbox instead. More air in, more fuel, more power.

The front brake is unique in the industry. It is called “ZTL” for “zero torque loading”. Braking torque is passed directly to the wheel rim and does not have to be transmitted through the wheel spokes as in a conventional twin rotor configuration. The spokes and entire front wheel can be made lighter reducing unsprung weight (any weight below the springs). This allows the wheel to track over bumps better and maintain better traction. The single rotor set-up also reduces weight over a twin rotor configuration by 6 lbs or more. The front fork tubes are also a huge 47mm in diameter making for a rigid chasis.

Underneath the front headlight you can see the unique exhaust lay-out. Each exhaust valve in the 4 valve (2 intake, 2 exhaust) cylinder head has its own port. The engine itself borrows from Formula 1 racing practices and uses the highest level of current technology to provide for a linear and very broad torque and horsepower curve. Above the exhaust header you can see the “ram air” snorkel that positively pressurizes the airbox above 80 mph for even more engine power and responsiveness.

I took the bike out yesterday for my first longer sport ride with a friend. The handling is scary quick and takes getting used too. Even though I cannot rev the motor past 6000 rpm right now as I'm still within the break-in period, the engine has real power even at 5000 rpm (redline is 10,500 rpm) as it was designed too.

I won't have any funds for gun purchases for a while but I'm enjoying the new ride and recently organized my first overnight motorcycle event up here in Northern California that was pretty successful.

It is such a shame that the Buell brand had to be discontinued but the bikes will live on with the unique people who ride them and ride them well.

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: O/T: RIP The Buell Motorcycle Co.

Post by madman4570 »

Tutt, ya, things are a changing for sure. Love your bike! Hey,how are those Buell 1200 cc engines. My brother just bought a 883cc sportster which they just had installed the 1200 Buell motor and its got about 700 miles on it now ????
Lots of chrome and the tank is custom with lets just say two cute ladies forgetting their tops! :lol:

I always wondered why the Harley Guys always put both their feet down at the stop sign(being a Kawasaki Z1 900 rider myself)but now I see! Boy, they sure sit low--you need both feet planted/also turning them around, man you need some room for that too. :lol: But they are beautiful bikes and sound nice/and pretty darn torqey too!

Keep on riding friend, again awesome bike!

Some of the new bikes they have now,you need to be a darn pro road racer to handle them???????????
200MPH down the highway :o :shock: Not me friend(140 was enough in the younger days) :oops: And that was nothing but being Pure Stupid.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Madman, the current Buell air-cooled engines are completely reliable, make plenty of power for the street and are the "high water mark" of air-cooled Harley tech. However, your friend should be sure to use an oil-cooler as do the Buell bikes which also have a fan for added engine cooling. Without the oil cooler the engine will get hot under hard riding. Also I would highly recommend a synthetic oil for your friends bike like Mobil 1 V-Twin oil (Harley Syn 3 is way over-rated). -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that Buell is awesome. that front brake is AWESOME! looks like a one-finger affair to me. I can imagine that some tyros are gonna pitchpole that machine when they grab a fistful of brake at around 180 mph when the radar detector sounds off !! :lol:

keep the shiny side up, looks like a good choice of a ride.

Grizz
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Are you nuts?????????????? Better come back to earth and get that 20 ga 870 Express.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well OK but it no Super Hawk

You wanna talk handling and mass centralization -----

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

WOW!!!!!! :shock: :o :mrgreen:

P.S. Thanks---Tutt
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

OS....two sisters and their other sister ?? All three very pretty ladies....wanted a Honda Scrambler as a kid. Don't have enough sense to ride one though....

jumbeaux
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I traded my xb9sx in summer, I miss the handling and that fruity sound.

Erik will come up with something I'm sure.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Two sisters and the mother - I have to provide visuals for Tutt so he can get the point. :D

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

"You wanna talk handling and mass centralization -----"-Old Savage

O.S., got one of those too. She's not for sale though!

-Tutt

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:shock: Gorgeous :shock:

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Nath wrote::shock: Gorgeous :shock:

Nath :D
Yah! And the bike is good looking too! Tutt your 09 Street Bob may be a collector item as it is the only year that the engine/tranny was painted silver. 2008 and 2010 are black. I wasn't too crazy about the silver except with the Pewter Denim paint which I got. People ask me why a Pewter Harley. I say it matches my Springfield Armory stainless steel Milspec. Boy, that'll raise some eyebrows. Pewter shaded gun with black grips and a Pewter Harley with black grips. It is nice to be color coordinated! :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks Nath! Can't let O.S. have all the fun all the time! They are blowing out Buell's over here. I got mine for $4600 off MSRP. The liquid cooled models are discounted more than the air-cooled ones. Maybe you should get one again while you can?

PC, it was YOU who bought the Dyna?! I posted a thread trying to find out who because I could not remember. How ya doing on that thing so far?

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey NonPC you got pics of that bike yet? 8)

-Tutt

NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I downloaded the motorcycle handbook from DMV. I need to get my permit. The salesman laughed when he found out I couldn't ride but go the OK from the CFO of the family. He said a lot of guys who have never ridden but get the OK from the wife beat a path to the showroom. I took a motorcycle safety class but had to drop out the second day as my blood pressure med wasn't regulated and the weather was unseasonably hot. That was a few years ago. Since that time Harley is now offering classes in CA. In fact a woman I know just took a Harley motorcycle safety class and they used Buells. I need to get my son to take a pic with his cell phone and then I can post it. I am looking into having Balance Masters balance the flywheel and clutch that will reduce 80% of the vibration in the bike. Even though the motor is rubber mounted it still shakes but Balance Masters has found a way to permanently reduce the vibration at the source. This will reduce wear and tear on the engine over the long run. http://www.balancemasters.com/index.html
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Buell gone?? Man what a shame. A guy I work with just bought the economy model. Its a single cylinder that's rated for 70 MPG or so he says. I'll have to let him know tomorrow when I go in. I guess now you either have a collector's item or a ... oh well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andy, you been holding out on us! :wink: :D :mrgreen:
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Tutt, that is a good choice on a bike. You gotta get them while you can.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D Hot stuff! You bikers and the chicks. No wonder we been losing track of you from time to time.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

A fine looking women there Tutt! :wink:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks guys. Its been a rocky relationship but we've made it for over a year now and hopefully we will resolve the only issue there has ever been (how to introduce me into the life of the kids and family). We have already made some very significant progress in this area. She is a very loving and affectionate Catholic girl but after her past experiences she is a little "gun shy". Wish me luck as she really is a sweetheart of a girl. We are already talking about long-term plans.
-Tutt

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Tutt Good job on the bike and the lady friend. :D

I had been wondering what Harley was going to be cutting. I knew they were having problems to bad they felt they needed to cut the Buell. :cry: I always liked them and after their recent success on the track I think it may come back to bite them in the tail.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Nice looking machine. Don't think the SO would allow another one in the stable. I use Mobil syn 15-50w in my '08 heritage

Y'all Ride Safe
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Buell would have been better off with stand alone dealerships rather than selling them through the Harley shops. Some of the Harley riders scoff at the Buells the way Gixxer riders laugh at Harleys. A lot of mainstream Harley guys detest the V-Rod as well. I am surprised Buell hung on as long as they did even though i am a fan of the concept.

I have no dog in the fight --- my thoughts are just an observation based on seeing a lot of guys opinions on the "Harley crotch rockets" at various events. I had a Sporty 1200 with T-bolt cylinders and a number of other things -- it was a blast to ride on the street-- tons of low end power.
But now i have been putting all my time and resources into motocross ----- my next street bike will probably be- of all things- a Triumph Thruxton or Scrambler
----- Doug
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:Two sisters and the mother - I have to provide visuals for Tutt so he can get the point. :D
All right I just can’t resist a contribution to the
“handling and mass centralization” pictures. :lol:
Remember, Old Savage started it. :P
Last edited by cshold on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

GEEZ MIKE :shock: :wink: Nice beach and water
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

There's water in that picture??

Hubba hubba hubba....
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Mine

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:Thanks guys. Its been a rocky relationship but we've made it for over a year now and hopefully we will resolve the only issue there has ever been (how to introduce me into the life of the kids and family). We have already made some very significant progress in this area. She is a very loving and affectionate Catholic girl but after her past experiences she is a little "gun shy". Wish me luck as she really is a sweetheart of a girl. We are already talking about long-term plans.
-Tutt
All the best Andy! Turn her into a "gun girl" - you can do it - and good luck with those long term plans - she looks like she's worth it!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats Andy! I wasn't quite sure why one guy needed two bikes... but, with the lady friend, I guess that explains it! Or, is one heck of an excuse! Er, REASON, yea, that's it... a good reason!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I can understand why, one for cruising, and one for when you feel the need for speed!! I have Harley Street Bob and a Honda Super Hawk. Makes perfect sense to me!! And GRIFF, this is coming from a guy who has how many 30-30's????? :shock: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

stew71 wrote:There's water in that picture??

Hubba hubba hubba....
Yes there is, and it's about 80 deg.
Man I wish I was there right now. 8)
It's 5 oclock there all the time. :wink:
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I always watched the Buell bikes. It seemed they was always cutting edge on the chasis, but lacking in motor development. They finally put it all together and did what H-D couldn't do by winning the AMA championship and now they get shut down. Life ain't always fair, but, I doubt that Buell would have done what they did without H-D backing their R-D effort.

RIP
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I recently got some Buell paraphenalia, most of it only stuff available to dealers like the two posters, the "stick on" advertisements that are put on the bikes themselves to show Buell technology (bottom left 3 items), the dealer selling handbook (top right) and dealer sales tag (top left). The brochure (bottom right) is for consumers and I should probably put it into a mylar bag or something. But the dealer only poster for the 1125CR in the top pic is my favorite and I will probably have it framed and put on my wall. Still bummed about the loss of Buell but loving the bike! -Tutt

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rjohns94 wrote:And GRIFF, this is coming from a guy who has how many 30-30's????? :shock: :lol:
Just enough! And, Mike, you explained it well... why I have a '55 Sedan w/nice stock 350 and a '55 p/u with 425hp 427 and 4 speed!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

why I have a '55 Sedan w/nice stock 350 and a '55 p/u with 425hp 427 and 4 speed!
Uh Griff? I want a ride in that '55 with the 427!!!!!! We have more in common than I thought! -Andy

PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I tried a Buell once. 1200cc was just too much vibration in that light frame, for me. I have trouble with hands that get numb. I've got an old Honda VFR700, just a fixer, to keep me occupied and still in bikes. Need a dirt bike though.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Hey Tutt: You should the see the looks of people when I go up against a V-8 4x4 with my V-6 4-Runner. What they don't see is the Toyota Racing Development supercharger under the hood....."Oh, what a feeling!" 240 hp from a 3.0 liter V-6 and 21 mpg highway! Still working on getting a pic of my "Silver Bullet" Street Bob.