OT-One book down, many more to go...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT-One book down, many more to go...

Post by awp101 »

Tonight I finished volume 1 of P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders. Took a couple of months as I don't have a lot of reading time anymore and when it comes to the technical side, anything more than a couple of pages at a time causes my brain to vapor lock. :lol:

The hunting stories by Warren Page and the recollections of his old friend (the name escapes me right now) were my favorites but the cartridge section was pretty entertaining as well. I especially liked reading about the small to mid range calibers. The technical explanations were mostly over my head because I comprehend better when someone explains it in person with lots of visuals or hands on type stuff. The section on killing power got tedious after a while. It seems to me "use enough gun" shouldn't be that difficult to explain or comprehend... :?

I think the most important lesson I took away from the book was bore capacity and it's usefulness. I never realized there was such a thing and it's something I'm going to keep in mind as I consider the merits of various calibers that interest me. The range of calibers from .257 up to 7mm (non-magnum) seem to have the best ratio in standard or Improved configuration and will handle any game I will realistically have the opportunity to hunt in my lifetime.

Before tackling volume 2, I'm taking a break and starting H.W. McBride's A Rifleman Went to War before beddy-bye time tonight. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-One book down, many more to go...

Post by DBW »

Cool. I'm currently reading A Son of Thunder, by Henry Mayer. It's about Patrick Henry.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"