OT: My Deer Hunting Cancelled by Bureaucrats

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SR James
Levergunner

OT: My Deer Hunting Cancelled by Bureaucrats

Post by SR James »

Hi Guys, been a while since I've posted. Got my '76 .45-75 sighted in and ready to take another deer or two. Or so I thought. Got an email from my friend that owns the ranch I hunt on...his insurance company threatened to raise his premiums by 37% unless he accepted a rider prohibiting all hunting, fishing, and most other outdoor activities, plus a long list of other things, by anyone other than full time employees or his immediate family. The ranch is large and a 37% increase would have been a huge sum. My friend had no choice. But the upshot is my deer hunting privileges are gone because some big city coporate bureaucrats decided that such activities as hunting are too risky and un-pc to be allowed. And I strongly suspect things will get worse from here as we move more and more into nanny-state mode.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: My Deer Hunting Cancelled by Bureaucrats

Post by Stan in SC »

So he can't adopt you?

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Are there no other companies writing coverage in this area? From many years of purchasing liability coverage on a large cattle operation, I know that in similar circumstances I have told my agent, "Thanks, but no thanks,", called another company, and had new coverage within days. "Big Insurance" is not monolithic, and business that one insurance company decides they don't want will be eagerly sought out by a dozen others.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

IIRC Indiana had a "hold harmless" law where a hunter could not sue a landowner for anything but deliberate acts oe some such. (Kind of a corollary to hunter-harrassment laws. ) So an insurer had no liability anyway .
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

SR James,
Have him put on his employee list.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

J Miller wrote:SR James,
Have him put on his employee list.

Joe
Yea... Salried employee - exempt status. You do QDM for him every fall, right? :twisted:
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Either he hires you as a 'game manager' on salary ('all the legal game you can harvest'), or if he's stubborn like me, he'd switch insurance companies. We switched when they started telling us what kind of dogs we could own.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Another aspect -insurance ain't cheap & ya gott have it

Post by 2571 »

Wife I both lawyers. Maintaining our 124 acre deer camp cost us about $10K for insurance ($1M policy -- we'd be deep-pocket defendants ), taxes, propane & misc upkeep annually.

Every year, we get ½ dzn requests to hunt on our property. Invariably, guy who wants to hunt is a long-lost friend, co-worker or recently divorced from a 2d cousin by the half-blood, whom I never met. Guy always offers to bring 18 pk beer (we don'tdrink) for letting him hunt. Invariably, guy "doesn't want to hunt state property -- too many hunters/nutcakes/ drunks", etc. on public land.

I don't want to be on state public land either. Thet's why I pay for the seclusion.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

darn bureaucrats... they all should be tarred and feathered!!! :evil:
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

No... hunted and exterminated for being vermin.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Another aspect -insurance ain't cheap & ya gott have it

2571 wrote:Wife I both lawyers. Maintaining our 124 acre deer camp cost us about $10K for insurance ($1M policy -- we'd be deep-pocket defendants ), taxes, propane & misc upkeep annually.

Every year, we get ½ dzn requests to hunt on our property. Invariably, guy who wants to hunt is a long-lost friend, co-worker or recently divorced from a 2d cousin by the half-blood, whom I never met. Guy always offers to bring 18 pk beer (we don'tdrink) for letting him hunt. Invariably, guy "doesn't want to hunt state property -- too many hunters/nutcakes/ drunks", etc. on public land.

I don't want to be on state public land either. Thet's why I pay for the seclusion.
The way I read SR's post, he has had hunting rights on that property for some time ut only now had it revoked over a BS "insurance" issue. Didn't sound at all like he was one of the type you are posting about...

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

In New England any liability is taken care of by the state if you do not charge a fee for hunting.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Hunt without "permission". Just tell him not to call the cops on you.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
greenacres
Levergunner

Post by greenacres »

Bureaucrats are the missing link in evolution; between the monkey and the man.
“You see in this world there’s two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.” ~ Blondie - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.