OT-Hunting laws that make no sense

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-Hunting laws that make no sense

Post by Jason_W »

In Vermont, crossbows are completely banned from hunting use except by those with a disability preventing them from drawing a compound bow. I can understand not allowing them during the bow season, but why not during rifle or muzzleloader?

Does anyone else state have seemingly arbitrary and pointless hunting regulations?
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Hunting laws that make no sense

Post by rjohns94 »

no hunting on Sunday :x Not allowing centerfire for small game :( no airguns allowed for any hunting :( allowing crossbows in archery season. :(
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The crossbow has a "traditional" reputation of being a poacher's weapon. It was quiet and didn't require the skill of a bow.

This perception goes waaay back. It's the same attitude some folks have about hunting with an AR or AK.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

IL = 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy minimum for handgun hunting.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Indiana allows handguns, including Encore pistols in 7mm Remington Magnum, for deer.

Until recently, however, they would NOT allow rifles in .44 Magnum to be used, because "rifles carry farther, and endanger more people".

Never mind that when I first hunted, I used a 12 gauge 'slug gun' shooting saboted 240 gr .430" pistol bullets at 1,800 fps.

After that, I used a Ruger Redhawk, shooting un-saboted 240 gr .430" pistol bullets at 1,200 fps.

Then, I used a Thompson Center Black Diamond .50 Muzzleloader, shooting saboted 240 gr .430" pistol bullets at 2,000 fps.

But from a Marlin 1894, the 'experts' knew that 240 gr .430" pistol bullets at 1,800 fps. would "carry too far..."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Two years ago they changed the rule, finally, but you can STILL use a 7mm Remington Magnum from a 15" handgun with a JP muzzle brake. Go figure.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

AJMD429 wrote:, but you can STILL use a 7mm Remington Magnum from a 15" handgun with a JP muzzle brake.
And never hear again
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Not being able to hunt politicians. :lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

DBW wrote:Not being able to hunt politicians. :lol:
I've always thought that if there were nationwide elections each month, where the citizens voted for whatever politician (you could vote for one in any district, vs. just where you lived) was the biggest criminal/liar/danger to society, and once a month they had a public flogging or whipping, perhaps we'd have a more 'responsive' bunch in office. It would only be twelve a year, but I think it would make them think there are MORE repercussions than just leaving office and getting inflated speaking fees and selling memoirs.

[/politics mode OFF] (...DBW, you led me astray... :roll: )
[hunting-laws mode ON]
:oops: :? :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

in LA county, you can't hunt rabbits with a rifle or pistol. But you can use a rifle to hunt other stuff, so it's not like they are banning rifles.

I don't really like shotguns so this one bothers me. I did take the airgun out a few times but the rabbit in question seems to know the max range.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

I guess in all states you have to wear hunter orange ( if you are hunting) but if you are not carrying a gun you don't have to. I guess that makes you bullet proof. Understand, that it galls me to have to wear a big orange clown suit to maybe keep some fool from shooting you.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

phc45-70 wrote:I guess in all states you have to wear hunter orange ( if you are hunting) but if you are not carrying a gun you don't have to. I guess that makes you bullet proof. Understand, that it galls me to have to wear a big orange clown suit to maybe keep some fool from shooting you.
Not in CA. (execpt on Camp Pendleton and that is so the game warden can find you)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

J Miller wrote:IL = 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy minimum for handgun hunting.
And the rule on "barrel length" allows you to hunt deer with a 4" derringer in .30 Carb having useless sights and a horrid trigger, but a 3" Model 60 .357 with fully adjustable sights and a fine trigger is illegal--despite having a longer length from breech to muzzle.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Just shows to go ya, you don't need brains to make hunting laws...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Jason_W wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:, but you can STILL use a 7mm Remington Magnum from a 15" handgun with a JP muzzle brake.
And never hear again
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AJMD429 wrote:
I've always thought that if there were nationwide elections each month, where the citizens voted for whatever politician (you could vote for one in any district, vs. just where you lived) was the biggest criminal/liar/danger to society, and once a month they had a public flogging or whipping,...
[hunting-laws mode ON]
How 'bout the Old Testament solution - a person uttering a false prophecy (spell that political promises that quite obviously were lies) was stoned? That trimmed down the liar population pretty effectively!
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Jason_W wrote:
And never hear again
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AJMD429 wrote:
I've always thought that if there were nationwide elections each month, where the citizens voted for whatever politician (you could vote for one in any district, vs. just where you lived) was the biggest criminal/liar/danger to society, and once a month they had a public flogging or whipping,...
[hunting-laws mode ON]
How 'bout the Old Testament solution - a person uttering a false prophecy (spell that political promises that quite obviously were lies) was stoned? That trimmed down the liar population pretty effectively!
Look at what happened to the congressman who yelled "Liar!" when Obama was addressing a joint session of congress. He was censured because he had the bad manners to tell the truth.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Not allowing a loaded firearm on an ATV! :roll:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Look at what happened to the congressman who yelled "Liar!" when Obama was addressing a joint session of congress. He was censured because he had the bad manners to tell the truth.
those guys shouldn't be smoking joints while Congress is in session anyway...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

At one time smoothbores, such as the flintlock musket, weren't permitted during the muzzleloading season but in-lines with scopes were. VA didn't permit crossbows during archery season either but then they did. Suddenly the crossbow was to the archer what the in-line was to the muzzleloader and now it is an additional license... We can't hunt on Sunday. Can't carry even a muzzleloading pistol while muzzleloading pistol (but can carry our CHP pistol/revolver concealed).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

"arbitrary and pointless hunting regulations"

EVERY state has arbitrary and pointless hunting regulations. They are not supposed to make sense, they are written by politicians. They are intended to assuage the complaints of numerous special interest groups.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

In Kalifornia a rifle chambered for the puny .25 ACP is legal for big game.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

In Ohio, it is shotgun only for deer (no rifles) unless you have a nuisance permit, in which case you can kill them with literally anything. My father has taken dozens with a .22-250.
BAGTIC wrote:In Kalifornia a rifle chambered for the puny .25 ACP is legal for big game.
There is such a thing?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Hmm. Where shall I start in the state of Massachusetts.

No Sunday hunting except on licensed shooting preserved for upland game like pheasant.

Shotgun/muzzleloader only during the deer season. I can use my TC Black Diamond in line which is equivalent to a factory loaded 45-70 rifle but can't use a handgun or rifle for deer.

You can use a revolver for the first part of the black bear season but not the second part.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

In Indiana you can use a rifle in .50BMG to hunt coyotes but you cant use a rifle in anything but pistol cartridges for deer.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

copper bullets!Not being able to hunt criminals/politicians.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Otto wrote:In Ohio, it is shotgun only for deer (no rifles) unless you have a nuisance permit, in which case you can kill them with literally anything. My father has taken dozens with a .22-250.
BAGTIC wrote:In Kalifornia a rifle chambered for the puny .25 ACP is legal for big game.
There is such a thing?

"The Ultimate Survival Gun - THRI will snatch up the 22 mag, and leave the 25 acp for the next guy. I recall a gentleman who built a custom 25acp rifle on a contender frame. ...
www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=457927 - Cached"
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

[quote="Otto"]In Ohio, it is shotgun only for deer (no rifles) unless you have a nuisance permit, in which case you can kill them with literally anything. My father has taken dozens with a .22-250.[/quote]

[quote="BAGTIC"]In Kalifornia [color=#FF0040]a rifle chambered for the puny .25 ACP[/color] is legal for big game.[/quote]
There is such a thing?[/quote]

Yea, and you can't use a rifle. (some how a muzzle loader of any kind or a bolt action rifled bore Shotgun with sabot slugs are just dandy!!!) But what do you have when you load a .45 cal muzzle loader with 70 grains+ of FFG powder? But it doesn't go very far according to a politicaian and the Dept of Wildlife!! :evil:

Unless they changed the rules for hunting you could hunt with a .45 LC but not with the .454 Casuall. So here you got a round with only 400 FPE for a factory load, and their are some writers that say .357 mag out of a rifle is no good for deer! Yet their nothing preventing you from hand loading it to casuall energy levels if you have the right handgun!!!!

Then their was a brew HA HA about making a High power rifle zone in southern Ohio (read very hilly territory) and the Game wardens got upset saying it couldn't be enforced!!!! Yet we have a goose zone, in eastern ohio, the only place your allowed to hunt geese!!!

I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore you.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

Well we all seem to agree that many laws written are STUPID and make no logical sense...... so then in fact those writing the laws have no clue about what they are doing/talking about, right?? legislating without an informed opinion....(in other words acting blindly with no knowledge of what they are talking about/making it up!) Now factor in almost ALL legislators ARE LAWYERS!!!! You wonder why law and order and justice seem so SCREWED UP?!?!?!?!?!
KentuckyLevrgunr
Levergunner

Post by KentuckyLevrgunr »

No turkey hunting with a rifle in Kentucky. Also no squirrel hunting with slingshots, air rifles or blowguns, even though I have no little to no interest in doing so. Also, you have to wear orange when squirrel hunting only during modern gun season for deer. I guess muzzle loaders and bows are lethal on critters, but not fellers.
There's two kinds of lever action rifles - those designed by J.M. Browning, and those that are inferior.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

rjohns94 wrote:no hunting on Sunday :x Not allowing centerfire for small game :( no airguns allowed for any hunting :( allowing crossbows in archery season. :(
HUH!? Even California allows all of that. Centerfire for anything except birds, crossbows during archery season, Sunday same as any other day, airguns fine for small game and turkeys. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Mike D. wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:no hunting on Sunday :x Not allowing centerfire for small game :( no airguns allowed for any hunting :( allowing crossbows in archery season. :(
HUH!? Even California allows all of that. Centerfire for anything except birds, crossbows during archery season, Sunday same as any other day, airguns fine for small game and turkeys. :|
That's half the problem, right there.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
dodz
Levergunner

Post by dodz »

KentuckyLevrgunr wrote:No turkey hunting with a rifle in Kentucky. Also no squirrel hunting with slingshots, air rifles or blowguns, even though I have no little to no interest in doing so. Also, you have to wear orange when squirrel hunting only during modern gun season for deer. I guess muzzle loaders and bows are lethal on critters, but not fellers.
Is it effective to use blowguns in squirrel hunting?
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

My state has pretty reasonable laws. *shrug*

Crossbows during archery season for disabled or over 60
Pistols and rifles must be larger than .22 rimfire.

Only one that bothers me is the lame hunter safety course I had to take. Why couldnt I skip straight to a test?