Keeping it Simple

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Keeping it Simple

Post by Swampman »

.45-70 and a couple of Old Hickorys.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Ysabel Kid

Re: Keeping it Simple

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice! 8) Great layout on the photos too! :mrgreen: Only thing missing are your slippers!!! :wink: :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Besides the slippers, in pic #2 you let the lawn sprinkler show. Shoulda put a rock on it.

YK, we are not being nice. We didn't even ask about the boom stick.

OK, Swampman, just cos I don't know diddly about single shots, what is it, who made it, what kind of carrying handle is that and what's an "old hickory"?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Old Hickory are knives, specifically, the folder and fixed blades. I like them both. That looks like an NEF in 45-70. I like the match case too. With a little tinder and some spices, thats about all you need to get a great camp going. Was just thinking, do they have a 45/.410 set up in that rifle? That would be a great survival set up.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It's an H&R Handi Rilfe in .45-70. You can send the receiver back to H&R to be fitted with any shotgun barrel for about $55.00. Rifle barrels are a little more. They are very accurate and light to carry. I like the Remington 405 grain factory load or a 405 grain bullet at about 1400-1500fps handlaod.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

I have been drooling over a Handi in 45-70 for a while now. That is a mighty fine KISS setup. Make meat, cut up meat, and cook meat in cup over campfire. Not too complex at all. Nice photos.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

nice.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have basically the same rifle.The 45/70 is a great caliber.Of all the 45/70's I own or have owned the NEF Handi rifle is the most fun to shoot.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I did not know Old Hickory ever made a folder. The one you have looks like a good pattern for game. When I was a kid we used butcher knives like that one to knock the hide off many a steer and hog. I like a expensive knives as much as the next guy but there is a lot to be said for your knife.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I have a lot of expensive knives (and guns) & I like them. I tend to use the inexpensive ones more because if they are lost or ruined it's no big deal.

Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

What? No dings, no nicks, no scratches? Hmmmmm.....

There is nothing more simple than a knife, an axe, and an NEF. I use my NEF 410/45 Colt Paradox a lot. In fact it will be rolled out again in a couple weeks for more doves and rabbits. There is nothing more simple than a break-open, hammer (not rebounding) fired, single-shot. Mine runs like a top and I expect it will 300 years from now. My knife is also simple, a Red River by Cold Steel with a bright orange plastic handle nailed to it (the tang has a notch ground in it to keep my fore finger from slipping), and my axe is and old beater that cuts like it was made to. Well, thanks for posting - there is something special about simple.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a little kid-sized NEF with .22 and .410 bbls....It's a dandy grouse getter with either bbl.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nice series of photos!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Swampman, Have you shot that baby with the Buffalo Bore 405gr@2000fps yet? :lol: Hang on! :)
I have the synthetic one in 45-70 which I took the scout scope off for now .(carry it on the front gun holder on my ATV.
They are a cool little gun! Nice stuff there
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Even in my Marlin I mostly use the Remington 405 grain loading or a handloaded equlivelent. I've broken Marlin stocks with those heavy loads and my buddy just had a shoulder replacement from shooting heavy loads. These are fun guns and the .45-70 is my favorite caliber.